Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    criello Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 7, 2008, 10:45 AM
    Connecting 12 gauge and 14 gauge wire
    Is it ever acceptable to attach 14 gauge to 12 gauge wire? I have a remodel situation where I have a 20 amp/12 gauge wired circuit powering outlets only. I want to tap off the end-of-run outlet to power an electric-venting skylight. The skylight comes with 14/2 wire. Can I tap off the 20 amp circuit to run the skylight, which would require connecting 12 gauge and 14 gauge wire? I thought it might be okay since the skylight motor only draws 60W max and would never pull more anywhere close to 15 amps through the 14 gauge wire, but I still feel uncomfortable doing this.
    wildandblue Posts: 663, Reputation: 57

Sep 7, 2008, 11:50 AM
    You would only be completely safe if you put a 15 amp fuse on that circuit. You can't control what people might plug in to those other outlets on the same circuit. The power runs all the way to the end of the branch whether that appliance is turned on or not.
    stanfortyman Posts: 5,598, Reputation: 279
    Electrical & Lighting Expert

Sep 7, 2008, 12:55 PM
    When you say the skylight "comes with" 14/2, what do you mean? Is this part of the window assembly? Is it hard wired?
    criello Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 7, 2008, 01:07 PM
    The skylight is pre-wired with a 30' length of 14/2 extending from the motor. So, it is hard wired and came that way.
    stanfortyman Posts: 5,598, Reputation: 279
    Electrical & Lighting Expert

Sep 7, 2008, 01:27 PM
    Then that is not branch circuit wiring and can be wired from a 20A circuit. This is the same theory that a light fixture hard wired with #18 wire can also be installed on a 20A circuit.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Wire gauge [ 19 Answers ]

I need to know the wire gauge to run an above ground water pump. The voltage will be 220 volts. The pump states max. amps 26, and the length of wire run is 70 feet. Thank you. Matt

Wire Gauge? [ 7 Answers ]

I've been looking for 2 days for an online wire gauge calculator. I'm going to relocate my meter to the side of my house (converting from overhead to underground service), then I'm going to remove the existing electrical panel (from the outside of the house) and install a breaker panel on the...

Connecting 14 gauge wire and 12 gauge wires in the same blue box. [ 2 Answers ]

I am wiring my basement. All the outlets are running off 2 independent 20 amp circuit breakers connected to each other by 12/2 wire. I wanted to run some stubs off my 12/2 outlets. All each stub would do is run to a small light (max 180 watts) and of course a light switch. Since I ran out...

Connecting large gauge aluminum wire to service panel [ 2 Answers ]

I've completed a beautifully (inspector approved) installation of a new 200 amp service panel to my home (upgraded from 100 amp). I have now strung a 0/0 underground aluminum cable in sched. 80 conduit from my barn to the main panel to connect a sub-panel in my barn to this new 200 amp panel. ...

Gauge of wire? [ 1 Answers ]

Thank you for responding. I would like to know what size of wire I need to run a circuit 125 amp, 240V to a sub panel 244 feet away? Or, what size of wire I need to run a circuit 60 amp, 240V to a sub panel 244 feew away? Thank you in advance

View more questions Search