Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    duckman06 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Aug 29, 2008, 07:21 AM
    What might be causing my sharp tooth pain?
    Hello

I have been having a sharp tooth pain in the morning when I 1st get up. It is not caused by eating or drinking anything it just happens & goes away. Again is not been caused by cold or hot items or anything like that or bitting just a sharp pain for 1-2 second then gone. I also noticed that my tooth/gum has a slight ache in it for a while during the day & then goes away later on. Any ideas on what this might be?
    flossie Posts: 1,903, Reputation: 181
    Ultra Member

Aug 29, 2008, 12:22 PM
    Hello duckman,

How's the stress in your life right now? It's possible that you are clenching or grinding through the night and the tooth that aches is the one being beaten up.

Aug 30, 2008, 01:01 AM
    Yes the stress is as high as ever right now in my life. Plus something that I forgot 2 say was that I had wore braces on my teeth for 18 months 2 align & help correct my TMJ!! With that said my retaners that I am suppose to be wearing got tossed about 2-3 months ago & since have not gone back 2 have replacements made. So I don't know if this might have something 2 do with my problem? My wife took a look at the tooth in question tonight & said looks like my have a crack in the filling or the tooth?? Does this seem 2 make since for the pain that I am having?? :(
    Ultra Member

Aug 31, 2008, 05:34 PM
    If the filling is cracked you'll probably experience cold and sweet sensitivity. I'd suggest you have your dentist make you a night guard OR get new retainers made ASAP.

Aug 31, 2008, 11:37 PM
    That is just it, I am not having any pain being brought on by Hot, Cold, or Senstivy. It just every now & then has a sharp pain & maybe a slight ache in it? I just don't know any other suggestions?
    Ultra Member

Sep 1, 2008, 09:25 AM
    If the tooth is cracked you can get occasional sharp pain. Does the pain occur when you chew on something hard or for now reason at all? Does it wake you at night? Your best bet is to see a dentist and have him or her diagnose it properly. I can't give you a diagnosis here.
    Amir1981 Posts: 246, Reputation: 6

Sep 3, 2008, 09:49 PM
    Does it hurt when you bite on it? You may need a crown.. sounds like nocturnal grinding
    Jerrad245 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 4, 2012, 09:55 PM
    I would suggest visiting your dentist, here in San Diego we have emergency dental clinics such as On Demand Dentist http://www.OnDemandDentist.com that work 24/7, but it sounds like your tooth might be infected, I would call your local dentist and have them check it out as it can get worse the longer you wait, regardless of the pain you might be feeling currently.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Tooth pain - Gallbladder pain - any relation? [ 7 Answers ]

I had a crown put on last December and I had to go back to my Dentist 3 times to file it down because it would hurt really bad when I would bite down. The dentist did not fix my problem and I just refused to go back a 4th time. I just stopped eating on with this side of my mouth. I now have...

Sharp pain in the chest [ 1 Answers ]

I have been having a sharp pain in the middle of my chest. It usually pains at the time I wake up. What do you think is the matter?:confused:

Sharp pain above tooth [ 1 Answers ]

Hello I have noticed in the last couple of weeks that when I run or walk on hard surfaces in shoes with heels a get a pain in a tooth that has got a filing already in the top left of my mouth. I went to the dentist today who did some x rays and couldn't see anything wrong. She checked all my gums...

What is this sharp pain [ 4 Answers ]

Ok so as of last Monday I was 3 cm and 50 effaced and have been contracting for the past two weeks. But today I have a really sharp pain in my lower abdomen when I walk, it almost knocks me down. I'm worried that I may dialate fast being this is my third time around and I am an hour away from the...

View more questions Search