Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    martina59 Posts: 63, Reputation: 3

Aug 28, 2008, 03:53 PM
    Last mowing before winter?
    How tall should the grass be on a lawn leaving it for the winter?
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Aug 28, 2008, 04:36 PM
    Depends on where you live. This makes all the difference in the world. I usually mow my lawn when I have to wear a jacket and hat and all the leaves have fallen off the trees. I mow the regular height that I've mowed all summer long.
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Aug 29, 2008, 04:00 AM
    I live where the winters can be quite cold. Here it's recommended to leave the grass longer than normal for the winter. Not real long, but just make the last mow up a notch or two.
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Aug 29, 2008, 04:14 AM
    Do we have a Lawn Maintenance Expert? I'd love to know some specifics about autumn lawn care, for example: seeding, fertilizer (weed and feed OK?), liming, etc.
    Uber Member

Aug 29, 2008, 04:33 AM
    Yes, there's a couple here. In my area we have mostly Kentucky bluegrass and the winters are harsh. Around here we do the last weed & feed in September then in November we do a fertilizer only - high in nitrogen - as the "winter food".
    Uber Member

Aug 29, 2008, 04:47 AM
    That would probably work for me too though I am a little further north than you. I have some patches killed by now-defunct chinch bugs, I wonder if now is a good time to seed those patches.
    Uber Member

Aug 29, 2008, 05:04 AM
    Now is good AS LONG AS it's not still super hot and dry. We just broke out of our super hot and dry time so I'm doing patching now.

Of course water it a bit every day...
    Uber Member

Aug 29, 2008, 05:11 AM
    Merci Rick!
    Uber Member

Aug 29, 2008, 05:17 AM
    Bitte ;)
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Aug 29, 2008, 09:00 AM
    I agree with Rick, now is a good time but another few weeks maybe even better. We are still gtting dry 88 degrees in Chicago so seeding would need a daily light sprinkle. I have some areas that need over seeding but will wait until Octoberanything that does not germanate then with sprout in the spring. Leaving you grass a bit longer will provide some wind burn protection for the folks in frigidland like me.
    Patriarch Posts: 75, Reputation: 4

Sep 21, 2008, 09:37 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by martina59 View Post
    How tall should the grass be on a lawn leaving it for the winter?
    Grass should be cut a 1/2 inch lower than the lowest ideal height for the particular grass. This will ensure the dormant grass is not harmed from snow mold, which may happen if the grass is longer than ideal.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

John deere mowing deck belt replacement [ 2 Answers ]

Can anyone show me a diagram of how to replace the drive belt on a 42 inch deck on a john deere lx255 mowingriding mower?

Mowing deck belt for Dynamark 11hp/36 inch cut [ 1 Answers ]

I recently acquired a used Dynamark garden tractor which was really cheap because the original owner could not figure out what belt size he needed for the tractor. We assumed it would not be a problem to get the right belt. We found out we were wrong and it has become a nightmare trying to figure...

Cover roots to make mowing easier? [ 4 Answers ]

I have a beautiful old tree in my front yard growing on an incline. Over the years the root system has spread out and on the downslope they are sticking up out of the ground several inches. It ends up being a pain to mow around and it spans about 15 feet in circumference around the tree so weed...

View more questions Search