Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    UnigirlBelle Posts: 59, Reputation: 1

Aug 23, 2008, 02:31 PM
    Cutting kittens claws
    How old should a kitten be before you can start cutting their claws. We have a new little kitten, he's a little over six weeks and his little claws are very sharp. We have been teaching him not to dig in but he's a kitten and full of energy, when he gets carried away he's destructive. We won't declaw him but just want to trim them when they get too sharp like we do with our older cat and wanted to know when it's a good time to start doing it and get him usd to it being done.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Aug 23, 2008, 02:42 PM
    Start now to get him used to it, but don't trim too close and cut through the quick. He will never let you touch his paws again! Be firm and matter-of-fact about the trimming. The cat shelter manager taught us volunteers to hold a cat like a football under one arm and use the hand on that side to splay open the paws to isolate each claw, then carefully trim with the other hand.

Be sure to have a sisal scratching post available, or roll a long carpet piece inside out so he can scratch on the backing. A long scratching post is good so he can stretch out to scratch and thereby exercise his muscles.
    doggie_poopie Posts: 252, Reputation: 19

Aug 24, 2008, 07:16 PM
    If possible start training your cat to have her claws trimmed as a kitten. Gently stroke your cat's paws often, getting her used to having her paws held before you attempt trimming. Be sure to reward your cat with a special food treat-one that she receives only during claw trimming or some other grooming procedure-during or immediately after trimming. The best time to trim your cat's claws is when she is relaxed or sleepy. Never try to give a pedicure right after a stressful experience or an energetic round of play.

Your cat should be resting comfortably on your lap, the floor, or a table. Hold a paw in one hand and press a toe pad gently to extend the claw. Notice the pink tissue (the quick) on the inside of the claw. Avoid the quick when you trim the claw; cutting into it will cause pain and bleeding Remove the sharp tip below the quick (away from the toe), clipping about halfway between the end of the quick and the tip of claw. If your cat becomes impatient, take a break and try again later. Even if you can clip only a claw or two a day, eventually you'll complete the task. (Because cats do little damage with their rear claws and do a good job of keeping them trim themselves-by chewing them-many cat owners never clip the rear claws. Others trim their cats' rear claws three or four times a year or have them done by their veterinarian or a professional groomer.)

Many people hold the clippers at right angles to the nail, thus cutting across the nail. This tends to make the nail more subject to splitting or fraying. It is better to hold the clippers in a vertical position--that is, up and down, so that the claw is trimmed from bottom to top instead of across the nail. This position help prevent splitting.

If you accidentally clip into the quick, don't panic. The claw may bleed for a moment, but it will usually stop very quickly. Soothe your cat by speaking softly to her and stroking her head. If the bleeding hasn't stopped after a minute or so, touch a styptic pencil to the claw end or pat on styptic powder to help staunch the bleeding.
    How often you need to clip your cat's claws depends somewhat on how much of the tip you remove, but usually a clipping every ten to fourteen days will suffice. If' your cat absolutely refuses to allow you to clip tier claws, get help from your veterinarian or a professional groomer

Gently press the cat's toe pads to reveal sharp claws in need of a trim.

Notice the pink tissue (the quick) on the inside of the claw.
    Avoid the quick when you trim the claw; cutting into it will
    Cause pain and bleeding Remove the sharp tip below the
    Quick (away from the toe), clipping about halfway between
    The end of the quick and the tip of claw.

Special claw trimmers are available from veterinarians or pet supply stores, but sharp nail clippers for humans work just as well. Keep a styptic (astringent) pencil or powder on hand in case you accidentally clip into the quick and bleeding hasn't stopped within a couple of minutes.

From Declawing.com
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Aug 24, 2008, 09:08 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by doggie_poopie
    If you accidentally clip into the quick, don't panic. The claw may bleed for a moment, but it will usually stop very quickly. Soothe your cat by speaking softly to her and stroking her head.
    If I clip into the quick, I have to carefully disengage the cat from the top of my head.
    doggie_poopie Posts: 252, Reputation: 19

Aug 24, 2008, 09:33 PM
    Lol, yes that's true. I have a screen saver on my phone that says "Don't put a cat on your head, it hurts real bad". It has a kid with some scratch marks.
    UnigirlBelle Posts: 59, Reputation: 1

Aug 25, 2008, 02:49 AM
    With our older cat, he doesn't care when I do it. He just stands there and takes it. There are only a couple of his claws that need trimmed every now and then and I use a sharp nail clipper for that
    I'll try doing it when the kitten is sleepy or relaxed, he is so hyper it's hard to keep him in one spot. And with him you don't need to cut into the quick to have him on your head. :D
    georgie31 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Aug 25, 2008, 02:56 AM
    Hi you can cut there claws anytime but be careful you can make them bleed if your not shore the vet will do it at very little cost, if you won't to know how email me and I will explain.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Craftsman riding lawnmower cutting off in middle of cutting grass [ 1 Answers ]

Craftsman Riding lawnmower is cutting off in middle of cutting grass and then start it back it will cut for awhile then do again. Does sound like it isn't getting gas. Can some on help.

The difference between Teeth/Fangs and Claws [ 1 Answers ]

I have been researching Teeth and claws a bit... And have come to find that both can be envenomed. Some claws (centipedes and spiders) are right at the mouth area. So my question 1: What is the difference? Is it merely a matter of location: Fangs are Inside the mouth of the animal and...

Trimming, clipping cat claws [ 1 Answers ]

Any ideas on how to clip my cats back claws at home instead of at a vet? I don't want to hurt her or make her bleed.

Cutting [ 7 Answers ]

Im a 13 year old girl. Every time I get sad, I take a razor, and I cut myself. I want to stop. But I don't know how. What should I do?

Santa Claws? [ 7 Answers ]

So Disney say that "Santa",is one of their characters.Sounds more like them playing Scrooge if you ask me.Merry xmas. http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/6189521.stm

View more questions Search