Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jmco1 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 24, 2008, 05:06 PM
    AC gooes off before reaching desired temp,
    My AC units will shut off before the temp reaches the set temp. I thought is was my thermostat so I replaced it. No change.
    Example. Temp is reading 80. I set temp for 76. The AC goes on. The thermostat (LuxPro) has a blinking indicater when the unit is blowing. The AC stays on for a few minutes dropping the temp to 78. The unit then s off. The indicator on the thermostat still shows that the unit is on but it is clearly off. It stays off for a few minutes and then starts again. Eventually bring the temp down. I place the thermostat in the on position not Auto and the same thing happens. It happened with two different thermostats So I beleave it is the handler or compressor that is the probmem. Any suggestions would be greatly appreaciated.
    T-Top Posts: 1,871, Reputation: 100
    Ultra Member

Aug 24, 2008, 05:25 PM
    Do you think by chance you bought a two stage cooling thermostat and you have it wired for 2nd stage only? The two degree swing in the temps is the reason for asking.
    Missouri Bound Posts: 1,532, Reputation: 94
    Ultra Member

Aug 24, 2008, 05:58 PM
    You place the thermostat in the on position? This controls the blower. Does the blower shut off also when in the on position? Can you share the model number of the hvac unit and that of the thermostat? T-Top may be correct, you may have a mis-match.
    jmco1 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 24, 2008, 06:02 PM
    Actually I think I may have figured it out. The unit has a safety that shuts it off if the drain pipe is clogged. I blew out the pipe and it seems to be working OK. I guess it was shutting off when it got clogged, then when it drained enough it would go back on, and then off and then on and so on...

Thanks anyway guys...
    Missouri Bound Posts: 1,532, Reputation: 94
    Ultra Member

Aug 24, 2008, 06:08 PM
    There you go... glad you found the problem. NOw blow out the pipe every time you change your filter and prevent it from happening again.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Heating turns itself off before reaching desired temp [ 9 Answers ]

Background: I have an older Trane furnace (manufactured 8/1994) made by American Furnace Inc. (The Trane Company, Trenton, NJ) model TUJ080A936A0. The module controller is by White-Rodgers Emerson Electric Co. Model 50A52-101. There is no gas pilot light. Problem: Recently, my gas valve will...

Cycling on-off before desired temp is reached [ 2 Answers ]

GMP100-3 gas furnace: The furnace runs for 3-5 minutes then shuts itself off for 2-3 minutes then repeats the start- stop cycle. I turned the thermostat up but it still acts the same. Any tips would be appreciate

Furnace not reaching target temp [ 12 Answers ]

My furnace never reaches the target temperature on the thermostat. Even if I increase the temp on the thermostat, the temperature is never met. The current temp is set for 74 degrees, it was 62 this morning? The furnace is a Goodman, the thermostat is digital. I just replaced the thermostat...

Electric furnace won't kick off at desired temp [ 1 Answers ]

I have an electric furnace that is approx. 15 years old. It will work fine, until about 2:00am, then it will not kick off. I have checked the thermostat, & it is kicking back like it is supposed to, but the furnace continues to run. I had this problem, very sporadic last year. Now it is happening...

Furnace continues to heat past the desired temp. Setting [ 1 Answers ]

I have a gas furnace with an AC unit. My wife wanted to replace the old mercury thermostat with a new digital model. We bought a Honeywell RTH230B. Now the furnace continues to heat, well past the set temperature on the thermostat. I have to switch the thermostat to the off position to get the...

View more questions Search