Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Bakey Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 21, 2008, 05:36 PM
    Starting a home bakery business
    I'm trying to do a research for my wife who is trying to start a bakery business at home. She wants to start selling to friends and families. Someone mentioned she might needs a license of some kind to sell to strangers. I'm not exactly sure how this work. Can anyone tell me what she will need to start this kind of business? Id appreciate the help. Thanks!
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Aug 21, 2008, 05:42 PM
    Where I live as long as you are not having them eat there it is legal to.

What state do you live in?
    Also check with your towns ordinances too.

Here is a web search
    selling homemade bake goods from home - Google Search
    Bakey Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 21, 2008, 05:58 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Bakey
    im trying to do a research for my wife who is trying to start a bakery business at home. she wants to start out selling to friends and families. someone mentioned she might needs a license of some kind to sell to strangers. im not exactly sure how this work. can anyone tell me what she will need to start this kind of business? id appreciate the help. thanks!
    We live in Georgia. Thanks I ll have a look at it
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Aug 21, 2008, 06:07 PM
    You most likely will have to have the kitchen approved by the health department to produce food for the public, since you are selling it, you have the issues of a businesss license and if you are selling it retail, collect taxes and report those taxes. Also all sorts of issues, like if they contain nuts or were produced in a kitchen where other items contained nuts they have to have warnings on them as such.
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Aug 22, 2008, 01:30 AM
    Agreed with the above answers. You also will need to be checking with city or county officials as to zoning ordinances about where the business is being operated.

I can definitely identify with the "nut" issue, because I have gone into anaphylactic shock because of eating something that I thought would be harmless, but none-the-less contained nuts.

If you would like information as to how to advertise this business on the Internet without it costing any money, then please let me know.

Thanks!
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Aug 22, 2008, 06:33 AM
    I would be careful about this. Selling food requires licensing and health inspections. Its unlikely a home kitchen will pass muster.

I remember reading an article recently about a commercial kitchen selling shares. Basically, different groups could least the kitchen for specific times.
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Aug 24, 2008, 03:17 AM
    In the city where I live, there is a family pasta business that does operate out of their home. Their products are on the shelves of most the major grocery stores in the area. I know that they had to have their kitchen converted into a commercial kitchen to code in order to prepare the products. But, my point is that such a business can operate out of a home if all of the things are in place for it to pass code and the local laws.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Starting a cookie business/bakery [ 3 Answers ]

Hello! I am an American citizen living in Athens, Greece. I have always wanted my own bakery/coffee shop. I feel that I haven't really done what I have really wanted to do in life. I think it's time to chase my dream. What I would love is to have my own cookie business and/or bakery/coffee shop....

Starting a home business [ 6 Answers ]

Hi there, I am new to this website and I am very glad that I have found it. I am a stay at home mom of a 11 months old baby boy. I love, love, love cooking. It gives me the greatest pleasure in the world. I have always wanted to do something with it but I was not sure exactly what. I would love to...

Starting a new home business [ 1 Answers ]

I'm starting a business from home. Will start with translation, report writing, graphics, and presentation. I want a sample introductory letter to introduce my services over the net.

Commercial Bakery Business Plan for SBA [ 1 Answers ]

I want to start a commercial bakery that will supply products to institutions and I need SBA loan guarantee to make it happen.

Home bakery [ 2 Answers ]

Hi my name is randy. I have want to fulfill my dream of starting a home based bakery.I live out in the country with lots of houses and no bakery of any sort.We have to drive to town that is about 10 to 15 miles. So I think I could really make a go of it out here. So if you could tell me how to get...

View more questions Search