Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mikimoto Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 21, 2008, 01:02 PM
    Can I give my dog Mucinex for phlegm?
    My dog has congestion & excess phlegm. She already receives Benadryl, which helps somewhat. Can I safely add Mucinex? What dose for a 40# dog?
    BlakeCory Posts: 236, Reputation: 21

Aug 21, 2008, 02:51 PM
    Bryonia, given 3 times a day, should manage the symptoms of kennel cough.

Mucinex has 600mg guifenesin in one tablet. Too much guaifenesin can cause increased heart rate and low blood pressure.

Another problem in kennel cough is the associated throat irritation. Giving approximately a teaspoon of honey 3 times a day can help ease the irritation in your dog's throat.

Aside from relieving the symptoms of kennel cough, it is also important to strengthen your dog's immune system. By doing this, your dog will be able to fight off infections more effectively and prevent the kennel cough from progressing into a more complicated form.

Try giving your dog a daily dose of vitamin C. Approximately 500 mg for bigger dogs and 250 mg for smaller dogs can significantly boost your dog's immunity. Also, giving your dog food supplements daily ensures that your dog is receiving all the necessary vitamins and minerals that may be lacking in his or her diet.
    danielnoahsmommy Posts: 2,506, Reputation: 297
    Ultra Member

Aug 21, 2008, 02:55 PM
    How about taking him to the vet
    gctts Posts: 20, Reputation: 3

Aug 23, 2008, 10:44 AM
    First I would not assume kennel cough. Coughing and phlegm are the symptoms of heart problems and dry coughing is a symptom of worm loads. For heart your dog should be on a heart medicine like Enelapril and probably lasix. Lasix reduces phlegm and coughing by reducing the amount of fluid in the lungs. So please get the dog to the vet to determine the cause and I assure you, the vet will not want the dog to receive the drugs you are considering for it. Treatment should never be given without first finding the cause of an illness or condition.
    BBBG4ever1 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 14, 2008, 04:25 PM
    Can I give mu dog mucinex for his phlem problem in his throat?
    BBBG4ever1 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 14, 2008, 04:26 PM

Can I give mucines to my dog for the excess for phlem in his throat?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Dec 14, 2008, 04:50 PM

No, you should not be giving any human medication to your dog.
    Your vet may have some suggestions.

Why is it always give the poor doggy human things, no one ever asks can I give my child a dog treat or dog worm medication.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Phlegm, Water build Up, Dying? [ 10 Answers ]

Hello Well, I have ALWAYs had a problem with phlegm wheater it came from my chest or nose. Lately I been having it a lot from my chest, like I would cough more frenquently, and phlegm would come up. Some times its yellowish ( I was a bit sick) and sometimes it is clear and has the texture...

Should I give up on us? [ 31 Answers ]

Mutiple threads merged I've been with my fiancé for 5 years now. We met when we were 17 and moved in together about a month later. Well the relationship was great for the first 3 years until he cheated on me. He moved out of our home and says that he was going to go live with his aunt to clear...

Should I give it another try? [ 4 Answers ]

OK so my ex broke up with me twice but we ended up becoming friends. I really like this girl I want to get back together with her but I'm also afraid that she might hurt me again. I really think she has changed because the last time we got back together we didn't talk about the problems we had but...

Give an example [ 2 Answers ]

On January 2, 2008 a company issued 500,000, a 1o year bonds for 574,540. The bonds pay interest on June 30 and December 31. The face rate is 8% and the market rate is 6%

Gagging/phlegm [ 1 Answers ]

My 13 month old NSDT Retriever was gagging up phlegm (not his food) throughout the night (Saturday). We are at the lake and do not have close access to a vet. I carefully felt down his throat to see if anything was/is stuck and could not feel anything but he did have a lot more plegm in his...

View more questions Search