Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    alaskagypsy Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Aug 16, 2008, 12:27 AM
    Toilet flushes 3 times per flush
    I have a toilet that flushes not once, but three, sometimes four flushes per pull of the lever.
    Neither strong enough to push any volume down.
    Every flush is the same. The water eventually goes down with no problem. There is nothing plugging the system.
    I cleaned out all the water ports on the toilet (which were plugged), but still the same problem, even though water running has greatly increased.
    I have noticed bubbles in the tank, just below the pop-up flush valve - every time I flush there is a great amount of bubbling going on in the 3" hole.
    I am wondering if there is a water leak between the toilet and tank, but not enough to show a water leak, it is just letting air come in.?
    Thanks for any help. I am mystified.
    Credendovidis Posts: 1,593, Reputation: 66
    -

Aug 16, 2008, 03:31 AM
    Hello alaskagypsy

If the bubbles in the tank just below the pop-up flush valve are not resulting from the air in the inflowing water, they indicate the problem to be located somewhere there. The water valve is clearly too late activated, and just before overflowing your tank it is fortunately emptying the tank into the toilet. Be glad, as if it did not you had a lot to wipe !

Find out where these bubbles are coming from precisely, and check what is causing them.
    Can't you adjust the level arm that operates the water valve by bending the floater slightly down?
    Clearly the problem is not a new one, as you refer to "plugged holes".

If the cause is in the construction or the materials used, just consider to replace the entire system. For the low cost of a new system you prevent a lot of wiping activities and other possible problems in the future.

Success !
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Aug 16, 2008, 06:49 AM
    Tel me more about cleaning these "plugged holes". Did you scrap and clean the jet ? How about the holes in the rim? Are they clear also? The reason I asked is the bubbles you describe as coming from the flush valve can only come from back pressure. And the back pressure can only coime from a partial blockage in the bowl. Someplace, in the rim or on the way down to the trap there's a clog that's sending a bubble of air back when the flush from the tank hits it. I Would pull the tank and check the bowl. Good luck, Tom

Aug 18, 2008, 09:14 AM
    It flushed good up till last week. I scraped all the holes under the rim - they were all plugged and I now have a good flow from the rim, but still the same problem - 3 flushes for 1 pull of the lever. I even lowered the water level - same thing, 3 flushes. Bubbles gushing out of the 3" hole in the tank. I am going to take the tank apart today and snake the line. Also will replace the gasket between bowl and tank as the three bolts holding it together were loose and the gasket could be warped.
    Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by speedball1
    Tel me more about cleaning these "plugged holes". Did you scrap and clean the jet ? How about the holes in the rim? Are they clear also? The reason I asked is the bubbles you describe as coming from the flush valve can only come from back pressure. And the back pressure can only coime from a partial blockage in the bowl. Someplace, in the rim or on the way down to the trap there's a clog that's sending a bubble of air back when the flush from the tank hits it. I Would pull the tank and check the bowl. Good luck, Tom
    Eternal Plumber

Aug 18, 2008, 10:50 AM
    I don't think you'll find the problem in the tank. Something's giuving you back pressure that's blowing bubbles back up the flush valve preventing the flapper from seating. This can only happen if there's still a blockage in the rim causing the back pressure. You might try running a small snake down into the rim and other paths the flush takes as it leaves the tank, (see image). In the worst case, if you can't locate the blockage, you may have to replace the bowl. Good luck, Tom

Aug 18, 2008, 11:42 PM
    Found it. Piece of glass (glass toilet scrubber top broke by cleaning crew) over 2" long by maybe 1 3/4" wide. But pushing a snake through from the toilet side, it just flipped out of the way and let the snake by. I took the toilet out, flipped it so the front was on the floor and ran the snake from the bottom. Bam, ran into something, pulled back and after a few pushed the snake went through.
    What a relief to get this taken care of. The snake would go by but once water started going through it would partially block the water flow.
    Thanks for suggestions.
    Eternal Plumber

Aug 19, 2008, 05:07 AM
    Congratulations on solving the problem and saving yourself a hefty repair bill. Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Toilet flushes multiple times with one press [ 11 Answers ]

Thanks for any help that can be given... Whenever I press the flush lever on my toilet the toilet will flush, the bowl will fill and drain, and then the bowl will fill and drain another 2 more times before the tank begins to fill. So in effect my toilet flushes 3 times for every one time I press...

Toilet Flushing: tank drains, toilet doesn't flush, brand new toilet. [ 4 Answers ]

I read the other postings, and most of the problems came in with old toilets. Mine is brand new (within a year old) and I just moved in to my new place. The condo has 2 identical toilets and the other flushes just fine. I have mimicked the settings of the working toilet and still can't get my...

Toilet Flushes then doesn't [ 2 Answers ]

My toilet starting flushing slow then not at all then after I plunge it sometimes it flushes and sometimes it doesn't. When it doesn't flush after the plunge I plunge it harder and it flushes as long as there is nothing in the bowl. If I put 2 sheets of tp in the bowl and then flush it acts like...

Toilet DOES NOT FLUSH- takes 2 or 3 times! [ 2 Answers ]

Help!! I live in an apt. built in the 70's and my toilet has not properly flushed since I moved in. They have been out to "Snake It" but that didn't work. I think it just may be too old and needs to be replaced. Is there any plumbers out there that can tell me if I need to have management...

3 times to flush toilet HELP please [ 5 Answers ]

It takes me at least 3 times to get my stuff down the toilet. The toilet is 3 years old. I cleaned out the jets and it still does it. I dumped a bucket of water down the toilet and it went right down the toilet. I have a septic system. In the upper part of the toilet there is a bunch of mineral...

View more questions Search