Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    MuddTaylor Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Aug 10, 2008, 08:24 AM
    Hear Water Under Tub
    I went to step into my tub to take measurements of the wall behind it. As I stepped in, I heard water underneath. I could always feel a slump under the tub (towards the center of the tub), but never heard any water before. I'm concerned that water may be sitting under my tub and causing the slump. Is there something I can do with the stopper to help stop the water from settling? I took off the stopper to see if I can see a leak. No leak... I could only see where the water is supposed to go once drained, and that direction is the opposite of where the water is settling. Help!

- MuddTaylor
    Milo Dolezal Posts: 7,192, Reputation: 523
    Plumbing Expert

Aug 10, 2008, 09:06 AM
    Does your house sit on concrete slab or on raised foundations ?
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Aug 10, 2008, 12:27 PM
    We need more information. Type of tub, steel, cast iron or plastic? What does the water sound like? Running? Standing? Describe "slump". A spot that gives when you walk upon it? You should have a access panel behind the front of the tub. Can you open it and look? Have you seen any water come out on the floor? Let's hear from you. Regards. Tom
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Aug 10, 2008, 03:48 PM
    Hi all:

I'm going to jump in here real quick and ask if it is possible that you have a bath-fitter tub liner in place..?

In other words, a plastic type tub LINER over an old cast iron/steel tub... just wondering here as I have seen a couple of these develop cracks and collect water between the old covered tub and the new plastic liner

If this is your situation then most likely you will need to find the crack in the tub liner and seal it off and then you will need to remove the tub strainer and drain the water off from between liner and old tub.

Answer Tom's questions and then let us know if my scenario is reasonable!

MARK
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Aug 10, 2008, 04:03 PM
    I think Mark may be onto something here. I read this post the other day and took a pass because I could not picture water under a tub. Milo asked the only questions that came to mind but that still would not make too much sense to me. Now if Mudd would come back and read our posts we might get somewhere.

Aug 16, 2008, 04:51 PM
    Sorry for my late response everyone. I really appreciate the feedback. My bathtub is plastic. I believe it is sitting on a concrete slab. The water does not sound like its running. It sounds almost like a wet sponge would sound if it was stepped on. The "slump" that I referred to before could just be because of how many times I, my husband, or others in the house before me stood up in the tub. I looked a little closer at my tub after I posted this blog. I saw some itty bitty cracks, and then a few long cracks. I put some clear sealant from Lowe's on there today. I figured it wouldn't hurt to try that first before doing anything else. I still hear a little water under the tub, but it wasn't as noticeable as before. How do I remove the tub strainer? No water has come out onto my bathroom floor, so all is good there.

Thank you all!

-MuddTaylor

Aug 16, 2008, 04:55 PM
    Realized I missed some other questions you all asked... My tub looks as if it's built into the wall. I do not see an access panel in front or anywhere near the tub.
    Eternal Plumber

Aug 16, 2008, 05:10 PM
    If your tub's cracked and leaking water under it then It's time to consider a new tub or tub liner. Removing the strainer won't help your problem. You have a tub with a cracked and leaking base. Ain't no fix to that. You replace the tub or get a tub liner. Good luck and I wish I could have been more helpful. Good luck, Tom

Aug 16, 2008, 05:14 PM
    Thanks SpeedBall1. When you say tub liner, are you referring to a tub that will sit over my existing one?
    Milo Dolezal Posts: 7,192, Reputation: 523
    Plumbing Expert

Aug 16, 2008, 05:25 PM
    Access door should be behind the overflow, most likely in other room
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Aug 16, 2008, 06:08 PM
    Hi Muddtaylor...

Yes.. we are referring to a tub liner that sits over an old cast iron or steel tub... The walls are also usually lined with the same material and caulked to the tub... ;)

Click on this link to see what we are talking about.

Bathtub Restoration, Bathroom Shower Remodeling - Bath FitterŪ

Tom's right...any attempt to fix cracks will only be temporary...simply cannot fix cracks in liner long term!

You can temporarily drain the water from under the liner by removing the tub basket (see picture) and allowing the trapped water to drain from in between liner and old tub. You will need a basket strainer removal tool (see tool) to remove the tub basket.

It will only be temporary fix and you could actually disturb the bath tub drain & waste and cause other leaks...so if on 2nd floor you may want to consider this carefully!

Probably best to plan on replacing the liner... Let us know what you think.

MARK

Attached Images

Eternal Plumber

Aug 17, 2008, 07:03 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by MuddTaylor
    Thanks SpeedBall1. When you say tub liner, are you referring to a tub that will sit over my existing one?
    Yes! A tub liner covers your old tub. Do you have a tub liner installed? Mark, gets into that in one of his posts.
    Regards,Tom
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Aug 17, 2008, 07:35 AM
    Suggest removing the overflow cover and looking at the edges of material. If you have a tub liner you should be able to see the edges of the liner and the original tub. Liners can leak at the drain, the overflow, and from poor grouting and tile, as well as cracks.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Hear water dripping from ceiling but not leaking yet [ 2 Answers ]

I have 2 story house. My guest bathroom is above my kitchen downstairs. Whenever someone upstair is using sink or toilet, I hear water dripping on the ceiling when I'm standing in the kitchen downstairs. It doesn't drip when bathroom is not in use. I just bought this house over a year ago. ...

A Christmas Truce and other Wishes of the Season [ 2 Answers ]

I know that some of us realize that it is Christmas time. Can we agree on that? What would happen if every husband in the world decided to play nice and chose family over "X". Wouldn't it be so nice not to see all the human tragedy here. Wouldn't it be nice to suddenly relearn that her husband...

View more questions Search