Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rocarr Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 15, 2008, 08:40 PM
    Oil burner white smoke
    My oil furnace may have become wet from a dripping pipe overhead. I am pretty sure the burner got wet. When I fired up the burner after the dripping was stopped, white smoke with an oily smell entered the flue pipe. Is this an indication that the burner needs to dry out more?
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Aug 15, 2008, 10:14 PM
    This sounds like a issue with the burner not lighting off. When there is no flame in a oil burner and the unit is running it will produce white smoke and smell like oil especially if the combustion chamber is hot.

I would call for ON SITE professional Service before something bad happens. If they light off in this condition it can blow the flue pipe out of the chimney, back flash into the combustion chamber and blow open all burner access doors unless they are tightened down.

Calling for service will also let the service person check to make sure there is no other damage to the unit from the water.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

White smoke will it come from fuel injection [ 3 Answers ]

I just bought a honda civic with 100,000 miles on it, I noticed yesterday the car gave me a white smoke just when I started it, I know that is not good sign, this morning when I started it no white smoke coming out but I takes me couple times usually to start the car The fuel seem is not clean...

Toro Pony white smoke [ 2 Answers ]

I started my mower for the season and it is blowing white smoke and oil from the exhaust. Can you give me some ideas what is causing this? I bought a new battery, spark plug, and drained the gas and put in fresh gas. I have checked the oil level and that is fine.:confused:

Mtd lawn tractor white smoke [ 1 Answers ]

What does it mean when white smoke it coming out of my mtd lawn tractor?

White smoke under the hood of my car [ 6 Answers ]

I was driving to work today and when I arrived, and put the car in park, I noticed that I had white smoke coming from underneath the hood of my car. I have a 2000 Infiniti I30. Can anyone tell me what this might be and how much I may end up paying to fix it? I just purchased the car used. Also,...

View more questions Search