Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Julia Rodgers Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 15, 2008, 12:21 PM
    Break apartment lease due to job relocation
    Six days after signing a new 6-month lease on our apartment in Palm Bay, Florida, my employer closed the local office and transferred me effective immediately to the Cape Canaveral office. Is there any way I can get out of this lease? Working in Cape Canaveral will extend my daily commute by 45 minutes each way. The new commute would be a major hardship as we have only one auto and our baby is only two weeks old.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Aug 15, 2008, 12:50 PM
    Sorry, but relocation is not a grounds for breaking a lease. Plus Fla is the worst state to try and break a lease.

What I would do is talk to your landlord. Maybe they will be sympathetic and let you out of the lease or let you do a buyout (usually pay an extra month or two rent). If you lease permists, you can try to sublet it.
    progunr Posts: 1,971, Reputation: 288
    Ultra Member

Aug 15, 2008, 12:54 PM
    Some, not many, but some leases do have a relocation clause.

He's right though, Florida is heavily in favor of the landlord, but hey, check the lease carefully, you just might get lucky.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can I break my apartment lease due to disability? [ 6 Answers ]

I have been diagnosed with Photosensitive Epilepsy which causes seizures when I'm on the computer. I have had to quit 2 jobs in the past 8 months due to seizures on the job, and now try to freelance from home to bring in my income. I can no longer afford the apartment I'm in because of this,...

Breaking up Apartment Lease Early from Florida because of Job Relocation [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I rented my Apt in Aug 2007, I am on 1 yr Lease, got Lay off start of Nov & searching for jobs, I got some offers out of State & area, which are very good, what r my choices to break the lease. I called the office and they said I have to give 60 days Notice, or 2 months Rent, Plus 1 month...

How to break an apartment lease in California [ 1 Answers ]

I am moving to Las Vegas for a new job and need to break my lease of one year. I have lived in the apartment 4 of the 12 months.

Need to break lease due to Relocation [ 2 Answers ]

Hi - Can you please help me! I move to VA just 7 months ago and have a 2 year lease. My job is relocating me to another state. Is there anything I can do to get out of the lease? Thanks in advance

View more questions Search