Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Tralyn Posts: 230, Reputation: 17

Aug 14, 2008, 04:41 PM
    Why do people PUSH Religion on others?
    I am a spiritual person. I do not understand for one minute why people, and that's to say A LOT of people literally try and push their religion and/or their beliefs on others. Giving somebody the proper tools to learn on their own is one thing, preaching is quite another. Many religions, spiritual beliefs speak of love and ACCEPTANCE... and anyone ever hear of not thinking you're better than everyone else? Am I the only one that thinks this is what's happening today? I personally think it is horribly sad.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Aug 14, 2008, 04:56 PM
    You're not alone, trust me.

Why do people push religion on others, because they think they are right. By bringing you in to the mix they add yet another person to the flock, another person that thinks and feels the same way. It's confirmation that their beliefs are right, otherwise why would so many people follow one religion?

I have struggled with religion for many years, more than half my life. My conclusion, religion is man made and man run, teaching about a book that is also man written.

Only you can decide what you believe and why. If you are seeking religion then that's not a bad thing, if it's what you want. If you believe in the bible and it's teachings then that's what you should follow. If you have questions then you should be allowed to ask them. It's all up to you.

I do believe in God, but not in organized religion, nor do I believe that the bible is "the word of God". I refuse to be another sheep in the flock, but that's my preference.

Be proud of who you are and what you believe, you don't have to conform for anyone. :)
    Credendovidis Posts: 1,593, Reputation: 66
    -

Aug 14, 2008, 04:59 PM
    Hello Tralyn

I am Secular Humanist who respects other people's right to believe whatever suits them.
    However : as you stated, a lot of theists try to push their religion and/or their beliefs on others. And there is no real reason for that at all. Not even for Christians, who have as their mission to "spread the word".

There is a huge difference between "spreading the word" and "forcing the word through other peoples throat. That this attitude calls for resistence and - often - in the end rejection of that "word" seems to escape many of them. I always state that who you are and what you are is better seen from your deeds than from your words ...

Sometimes I get the impression from the aggression and (often) hypocrisy with which that "preaching" happens, that some theists seem to think that every "saved soul" brings them one step further into heaven... So it seems that they are trying to raise their insurance premium against ending up in hell (if such establishment exists).

So I agree with you : I too think all that religious pressure is bad and horribly sad.

:)

·
    asking Posts: 2,673, Reputation: 660
    Ultra Member

Aug 14, 2008, 05:05 PM
    Is it like a pyramid scheme, where the more souls you save, the more likely you are to go to heaven? I'm asking because I don't know that much about evangelism.

I just want to add that not all Christians are evangelical and even those who are are not all aggressive or unpleasant about it. I have had many pleasant conversations with evangelical Christians who treated me with respect and kindness even though I could not be saved, in their view at least.

Aug 14, 2008, 05:10 PM
    I am so glad I'm not alone on my feelings about this. I am not in any way trying to target one religion with this post... I want to make that clear.

Soul saving? Ultimately wouldn't the person be saving their own soul though?

I too am very happy with my spirituality... I think organized religion is a big fat Crock but I also think that many people find extreme comfort in that and that is their choice. I think money circulating through religion is a bunch of crap too!
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Aug 14, 2008, 05:12 PM
    Being right and being saved is not the same as being better than others.

So people want you to find salvation because they care about you. If theydid not care about you they would never even try to convert you

Aug 14, 2008, 05:22 PM
    If people care about you they would respect you by supplying you with the means to learn on your own don't you think? I never said that being right and being saved is the same as being better than others. Being right in religion and spirituality is a matter of opinion. Many act as though they are better than others.
    asking Posts: 2,673, Reputation: 660
    Ultra Member

Aug 14, 2008, 05:27 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Fr_Chuck
    Being right and being saved is not the same as being better than others.

so people want you to find salvation because they care about you. If theydid not care about you they would never even try to convert you
    I think that's true in many cases, but if caring/proselytizing extends to strangers, it doesn't seem like a very personal kind of "caring."

When I was 15, a visitor in our house who was a friend of my sister's tried to convert me, first by talking to me for about an hour and then when I didn't convert right away, he started yelling at me. I ran outside crying to get away from him. I didn't know him at all and I'm not convinced he cared about me. :)

Aug 14, 2008, 08:16 PM
    I have had people do almost the same thing to me and there is nothing that's worse than that when it comes to your core beliefs... having someone get hot tempered and literally yelling theirs at you.. yelling at you that you're wrong. That is just ridiculous to me. I am sorry you have experienced that too.. I found that so horrible when it happened to me. It made me think that they obviously were not truly happy with themselves and their spiritual lives, if so they would never ever approach a possible interested person in such a manner.

Perhaps this is a stretch, but I always thought a person's spirituality should bring them to a humble and happy place and I would think that is what they would want to condone and share with others.
    erin7799 Posts: 159, Reputation: 32

Aug 14, 2008, 08:47 PM
    When you refer to the people who get angry and yell at you for not believing what it is that they believe. That has nothing to do w/ a religion. That's stupidity. Plain and simple.

Aug 14, 2008, 08:59 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by erin7799
    When you refer to the people who get angry and yell at you for not believing what it is that they believe. That has nothing to do w/ a religion. That's stupidity. Plain and simple.

I definitely agree with you, but it is how some people try to push their religious beliefs on you.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Aug 14, 2008, 09:10 PM
    Many of those who push religion on others have been commanded by their church and minister to do so, since that is how they interpret certain Bible verses--"go and teach all nations." Churches have evangelism committees that plan mission campaigns not only to foreign countries but also in their own neighborhoods.

A big part of that is these people believe Jesus won't return to earth until all "people-groups" have been preached to and many have been converted. Thus, if an unbeliever won't convert, he is messing up the effort to get Jesus back because when Jesus returns, believers will go to heaven. *whew*

Also, these Christians (sort of like your mom) want what's best for you. *Aaaaaawwwwww* Of course, what THEY think is best for you and what YOU think is best for you usually isn't the same.
    Choux Posts: 3,047, Reputation: 376
    Ultra Member

Aug 15, 2008, 12:54 PM
    I haven't had a problem with dealing with religious proselytizers, and in fact, I was brought into a born again Christian church by a wonderful lady I met while working! I'm a happy atheist, secular humanist now.

Religions/churches that require that members go out and secure new converts really function like cults. It is about mind control and obedience. When the scripture was written, there were very few "Christians"... today, Christianity is the largest religion in the world!! The world **was** proselytized. Those who these folks preach to in America are preaching to other Christians. However, they have been told by their ministers that only his viewpoint is the correct viewpoint. The minister is interested in increasing the number of members in his church-megachurch. Those whose minds he controls do the proselytizing.
    erin7799 Posts: 159, Reputation: 32

Aug 15, 2008, 08:00 PM
    I go to church. I believe in God and the bible and what it teaches us. Our church definitely does things to try to bring people to our church. But we don't go about it ways that scare people. We hold community events. Picnics, family fun nights and things of that sort. We're there if you need support. Someone to talk to, cook you dinner or help you to the doctor. We do things in the community to let them know that we're here if they need us and we'd love for them to come to church w/ us! But NEVER do we get pushy about it. But I'll certainly always invite you and if you're busy, hey... maybe next time. But yelling and preaching for hours... you can show others what it's supposed to be about by your actions. It's not what you SAY it's what you DO.
    Choux Posts: 3,047, Reputation: 376
    Ultra Member

Aug 16, 2008, 12:12 PM
    YOu are correct, erin. Your church goes about proselytizing the right way.

The people you talk about are mentally ill or have their minds controlled by their minister and the scriptures he emphasizes----and are poor examples of Christianity.

Aug 16, 2008, 02:58 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Choux
    YOu are correct, erin. Your church goes about proselytizing the right way.

The people you talk about are mentally ill or have their minds controlled by their minister and the scriptures he emphasizes----and are poor examples of Christianity.

Do you really think they are mentally ill Choux? I am really interested in that idea!

I don't only think it's people of the Christian faith that can be pushy, however, it does seem to be a large amount of what I've come across.

Here's my deal. I believe what matters is the goodness inside of you, the love you radiate and share unto others, the helping hand you can offer, sometimes the ability to not say a word and just listen (after all we have the one mouth and two ears right?). Don't you think that whatever Entity, God, Spiritual path you believe in would lovingly embrace you if these were the qualities you try to convey in every day life?

Let's not forget love and respect for the earth and the nature around us, for all living things (no - I'm not a vegeterian either).

What spiritual being, God, Goddess, Buddha, etc. etc. would encourage such things as pressuring others, fighting ruthlessly over religion, begging for money to 'support the cause' and even the religious wars? Don't you think that is ludicrous? I do!
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Aug 16, 2008, 04:11 PM
    I guess I just don't see it as pushing since if they knock at my door I can either talk with them or say I am not interested. What ever the situation you can just say you are not interested and walk away or make a comment showing it is a waste of time talking to you.

Once you allow them into your house they can get a bit pushy and you have to make it clear when you have had enough but you had to have realized they were there to push their religion in the first place.

What I don't like is when you try to point out where their belief is faulty even proving it from the Bible and they would rather believe what their religion teaches. IF they do not claim to be of the Christian faith that is one thing but to claim you follow the Bible and then change the meaning to fit your religion is another. Like they will omit or add if to a verse to make it mean what they want.
    I understand no one religion has the whole truth because some things can be taken differently; but when you twist stuff to fit your belief when it is clear that isn't what it means that is another thing.
    Credendovidis Posts: 1,593, Reputation: 66
    -

Aug 16, 2008, 07:22 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by N0help4u
    I guess I just don't see it as pushing since if they knock at my door I can either talk with them or say I am not interested.
    As per the topic the question is more : WHY do people push religion on others?
    Why can't they just believe the way they want and leave others to believe what they prefer to believe?

:)
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Aug 16, 2008, 07:29 PM
    Everybody can believe what they want to believe. :D

WHY do people push religion on others?
    As my previous post is explaining
    How do you feel others are pushing their religion on you if you put yourself in the line of fire? :D
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Aug 16, 2008, 07:35 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Credendovidis
    As per the topic the question is more : WHY do people push religion on others?
    Why can't they just believe the way they want and leave others to believe what they prefer to believe?
    They want you to be happy, Cred--as happy as they are.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Religion, Governments, and control over the people [ 96 Answers ]

If there is one bad common thing that history has shown, it has to be the co-operation between - and supplementing of - religion and government, a joint operation to keep "the people" quiet and obedient to those in power. Even in the nation that was based on a strict separation between state and...

Push to connect [ 5 Answers ]

Any recommendations on push to connect, crimp ring and stainless steel crimp connection. Thanks

Push-Pull Push-Pull [ 3 Answers ]

My Ex GF and I have been boken up for 3months now. We are still totally connected and a lot of the time I feel that we are still in love with each other. We were together for 4.5 years. When we broke up she started to date this guy, A guy that she admitted to having a crush on while we were...

Push?! [ 9 Answers ]

I was wondering what crybabypirate meant when she said to push when I go up about my roundoffs.Was she talking about my hands or my feet?? Remember, there is no stupid question.! addy

View more questions Search