Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jack dances Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 13, 2008, 05:59 PM
    Will deleting/ cleaning my hard drive get rid of a virus?
    Hello,
    My lovely laptop caught a killer virus and I want to do a complete removal of everything on the hard drive to get rid of it. I have the backup/restore disks so I think it will be OK. Will this work? Or is there a better solution? Sorry, I don't know much about computers but PLEASE HELP. Thanks so much.
    Credendovidis Posts: 1,593, Reputation: 66
    -

Aug 13, 2008, 06:19 PM
    Indeed the best way to get rid of a difficult virus in a late state of infection is to clean the hard drive completely.
    And it is - unlike often suggested - not the last thing to do. Actually it is easy and relatively fast : about 45 minutes to re-setup and a similar amount of time to re-install all other software.

That of course is based on you having made several partitions on your hard drive, and having copies of your software on your hard drive for easy installation. And - of course - the original Windows software on CD.

The following is a guideline I normally suggest :

===

The BEST solution is the following : all other solutions seldom solve all problems.

FIRST save all important data (on CD, stick, or another partition than C drive)
    (don't forget music, photo's, email, docs, favorites, bookmarks, password information etc.)

Have original Windows CD ready. Have all other software ready (either on a partition or on CD or USB stick). Have also your little book with passwords ready.

Check and/or set (if necessary) Bios to include CD drive in the boot-up sequence.

Disconnect the internet connector.

Do a format C:/u . Note : it is important to do that format c: Specially with the /u because that removes everything, unlike a normal format c:

Reboot with Windows CD in the slot

Re-install Windows from scratch.

Re-install and activate anti-virus software immediately and do a total computer scan.
    Remove any virus found on the computer.

Re-install and activate the firewall (either Windows or other)

Re-connect the Internet and do an update of the anti-virus software.

Re-install all other required software

Check all settings and transfer the saved data to where needed.

You have now a computer as fast and clean as when it was purchased.

Success !
    smearcase Posts: 2,392, Reputation: 316
    Ultra Member

Aug 13, 2008, 07:43 PM
    I had a problem about two weeks ago and I am practically computer illiterate.
    I googed the name of the virus, found a program to get rid of it, downloaded the program, had to pay 29.99 and it wiped the virus out in a minute or so. I wondered if someone could give you a virus, then sell you a fix for the same virus?
    But the program is good for 6 months and I can continue or quit.
    The virus disquised itself as a windows program wanting to enter. No matter what you select (allow, don't allow, delete) it enters anyhow.
    Abyss777 Posts: 16, Reputation: 2

Aug 14, 2008, 02:27 AM
    There are a growing number of spoof viruses that make you think it's a virus and offers a solution. The solution costs money and removes the virus and your out a few bucks. Often the solution leaves spyware on your system and nasty popups. On such is the Smitfraudfix program. It removes the bogus virus and screws up your desktop. Best bet is to reinstall windows in a different directory name such as "windows1" That way you can still access your old files and start fresh. You will however have to reinstall any progs you have running on the old version. Be sure to install a new antivirus in the new windows version before looking at or accessing progs on your old windows system. When you boot up it will give you an option to boot from the old version or the new. Copy all files from my documents in the old version to new directories and scan immediately in new version.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Replace existing hard drive with upgrade to larger hard drive? [ 6 Answers ]

How do you replace existing hard drive for a larger one and how to save info on existing device?

Hard drive easy question! Help! And 1 hard one! [ 6 Answers ]

undefined I have two questions first is the hard one I tried out a trial version of "folder locker" which locks up and encrypts (I guess) your deata so no one else can see it when they are on your computer.. it also lkets you lock down entire drives.. so somehow I went to lock down my o drive and...

Can't find C Drive after virus [ 7 Answers ]

Hello, I was hit by a bad virus. I used several softwares to get it out of the system, but in the right bottom of the screen beside the date and time, it shows "VIRUS ALERT!". The other problem is that when I open My Computer, it shows everything but my C and D Drives. >Moved from Forum Help<

Cannot access hard drive after installing anti virus [ 3 Answers ]

I installed avast anti virus 4.8 yesterday. After I installed it I have been unable to acces my C Drive normally. When I click in the hard drive icon, the system asks me for a program to open the C:/ File. This never happened to me and I don't know what to do

USB External Hard Drive (drive connect problem) [ 7 Answers ]

After connecting my external hard drive to a usb port. Assigns to a used drive F. to get to the ext hd I have to disconnect F then I'm able to open the ext hd. How can I get the ext. hd to go to the next available drive letter or can I assign one?

View more questions Search