Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kensgirl Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Aug 11, 2008, 01:09 PM
    My hair is falling out/breaking!
    I need help!! My hair has been falling out/breaking noticeably for a little over a year now. Not just a little bit, but lots each day. I don't have bald spots, but it does seem like my hair is thinner. My hairdresser said that its more than normal. I also have dry, itchy scalp. I've tried several different shampoos but nothing seems to help. Even conditioner doesn't seem to be helping my dry hair. It's still hard to brush after I use it. What could be happening?? I do know that my hormones are messed up, but I'm 32 years old. Too young to be having so many problems. I prefer to do things the natural way... without chemicals and prescriptions. Any ideas??
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Aug 11, 2008, 01:12 PM
    It could be a number of things such as vitamin/mineral deficiencies, hormone imbalance or other things. How often do you get your hair dyed or permed? That could have a lot to do with it too. Do you have any patch(es) of bald spots?
    You would have to get to the root of the problem to know what to do about it.
    I can possibly give you a good diet of what to eat and what to avoid depending what the problem is.
    Anqeleyez20 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Aug 11, 2008, 01:16 PM
    This is an wise tell my grandmother actually told me I didn't think it worked either but you can try it and see if it works for you... It worked for me at one point in time... My grandmother told me to wash my hair in vinegar... I know sounds nasty but it worked for me maybe it will work for you. And as far as the breaking I have the same problem honestly but I use shampoo and stuff that hair dressers use the cost a bundle and has actually stopped the breaking so much. My only advise is to try it and see what happens.
    0rphan Posts: 1,282, Reputation: 240
    Ultra Member

Aug 11, 2008, 01:36 PM
    Hi Kensgirl,

Hair does fall out each time you comb, which is natural, also certain times of the year we loose a lot of hair to do with it's cycle, but it sounds like yours is more than normal judging by your post.

Have you used anything recently... say a dye or something similar... that might acount for this! Do you have a lot of split ends, these will break off when you comb, especially if the comb teeth are close together or if you use a brush. Try to use a comb where the teeth are very wide apart, don't use a brush for the time being.

The fact that you have a dry itchy scalp, I would say is the cause... are you using the correct shampoo, or shampooing too much, or not rinsing out enough!
    Whilst you have this problem try and cut down the amount of times you wash your hair, only do it if it's absolutely necessary... your scalp is already dry and itchy washing it will make the situation worse. Every time you wash your hair your striping out the natural oils, which right now you need to retain, don't blowdry either try to let it dry naturally.

Have you felt a bit under the weather recently... tired etc.. you could be lacking in a specific vitamin or are you a bit run down, stressed this can also affect your hair. You can sometimes get what is called.. Allepcia.. ( not sure if that's the correct spelling ) this is where sometimes if your suffering from stress your hair can come out, Doctors are not sure what the cause is, only that eventually it will grow back. Your Doctor will give you medication for this, some times a cream that can be massaged into the scalp.

I would advise going to see your Doctor where he can have a look at your scalp and check your overall general health.

Takecare
    ScarletSea Posts: 63, Reputation: 6

Aug 13, 2008, 05:44 AM
    Hmm.. that's sounds quite bad... I have similar problems. My hair is wrecked because of dye and I'm only 17 haha. What I did which helped was bought "Naked" sachets of conitioner and left them in my hair for nearly two days then washed it out. I have to say my hair did look healthier after. Also, you can buy skin, hair and nail pills which give you vitamins that pacifically help your hair. As does oily fish and stuff. As you prefer natural solutions, try mixing two eggs, olive oil and a little lemon juice and leave over night. A little messy but works.

Hope I've helped a bitty.

Xx
    Uber Member

Aug 13, 2008, 05:50 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Anqeleyez20
    This is an wise tell my grandmother actually told me i didnt think it worked either but you can try it and see if it works for you...It worked for me at one point in time.....My grandmother told me to wash my hair in vinegar.....i kno sounds nasty but it worked for me maybe it will work for you. and as far as the breaking i have the same problem honestly but i use shampoo and stuff that hair dressers use the cost a bundle and has actually stoped the breaking so much. my only advise is to try it and see what happens.

The vinegar is for if your hair has too much acidity; which most hair does unless you use PH balanced shampoo which most commercial shampoos are not unless that state otherwise.
    The vinegar will possibly help but you need to do as the previous reply and put a good conditioner in your hair for a day and try switching shampoos to better ones. Try a PH balanced one. Also try buying two or three different shampoos and switching them so you are not using the same one daily. When your hair looks limper than usual try a clarifying shampoo.

Also some vitamins good for hair are Folic Acid 800mcg, Biotin 200mcg, Pantothenic Acid 200mg, vitamin E, Zinc 30mg, Manganese 10mg, Choline 1000mg, Inositol 250mg, Para Amino Benzoic Acid (PABA)60mg
    0rphan Posts: 1,282, Reputation: 240
    Ultra Member

Aug 13, 2008, 09:17 AM
    I really wouldn't use vinegar, especially since your scalp is sore, dry and itchy.

Please visit you GP for a correct diagnoses.
    Uber Member

Aug 13, 2008, 09:36 AM
    Yeah I wouldn't recommend it either and if someone does use it I wouldn't use it more than once a year or something like that.

Aug 14, 2008, 07:46 AM
    I try to wash my hair every other day. I've tried Tea Tree Oil Shampoo/Cond. But it hasn't really helped. I also try to let my hair air dry to not hurt it more. I only color it 1-2 times a year in fear more will fall out. Believe me... I know it's normal for hair to fall out each day, but when my husband complains of having to pull a "rat" out of the drain each week, I know I have a problem.

I agree with some of you that mentioned that it could be a vitamin defiency or hormone imbalance. I go see my doctor today. Hopefully I'll get some answers then. Thanks for all your help.
    Uber Member

Aug 14, 2008, 07:48 AM
    If it is a hormonal problem let us know because there are foods you should eat more of and ones you should avoid.

Such as cabbage and iodine.

Aug 14, 2008, 07:52 AM
    Thanks! Is that what I should take? What should I avoid?
    Uber Member

Aug 14, 2008, 07:57 AM
    You have to first find out from the doctor if you have hyper thyroid or hypo thyroid.
    Eaglesflying Posts: 39, Reputation: 2

Aug 15, 2008, 10:12 AM
    I disagree about the vinegar I have used it to heal sores on my son's head. I also use it on his face for acne it works very well. I have also used it own my hair after I shampooed it and then used the vinegar and then a good conditioner made my hair real soft too.
    Uber Member

Aug 15, 2008, 10:19 AM
    ** you stated disagree then agreed it was good.
    I missed where anybody said it wasn't good or okay.
    I wouldn't recommend it on a regular long term basis
    If you get to the root of the problem and balance your stomachs PH
    Then it is better than just using the vinegar on the hair although when her hair is this bad she should do both until it starts improving.

Let us know if the doctor says you have a hormonal imbalance or not and then we can take the diet from there. BUT for now cut out a lot of acidic foods.

Aug 15, 2008, 12:40 PM
    Funny that you should mention the pH and hormonal imbalance. My dr. told me pretty much all that you said. She gave me iodine to take which she said would help whip my thyroid into shape and also gave me magnesium which she said is "thyroid food". She gave me some pH strips to test my urine each morning to see where my pH level is. I tested it this morning and I'm very acidic. She said to give it a week or two to see if my situation improves and if not then we'll check into thyroid meds. Thanks NOhelp4u... you seem to be very knowledgeable.
    Uber Member

Aug 15, 2008, 12:59 PM
    Okay since she GAVE you iodine that means you have Hypothyroidism
    Eat these foods:
    * Kelp
    * Beetroot
    * Radish
    * Parsley
    * Potatoes
    * Fish
    * Oatmeal
    * Bananas

Avoid these foods as much as possible:
    * Cabbage
    * Brussels sprouts
    * Broccoli
    * Cauliflower
    * Sweet potatoes
    * Maize
    * Lima beans
    * Soy
    *canola
    * Pearl millet

Should be limited.

And this is a PH balance chart. If something here is on the avoid list in the thyroid list don't eat it anyway.

Lesson 18 - Acid - Alkaline Balance
    JalenD Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 20, 2008, 10:07 AM
    I mix eggs and mayo and leave it in with a deep conditioner for a few hours (obviously when I have nothing to do... ) gross but it makes my hair really full and shiny!

I would suggest to change your diet and maybe look into the genetics side of things...
    Eaglesflying Posts: 39, Reputation: 2

Aug 20, 2008, 11:30 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by N0help4u
    ** you stated disagree then agreed it was good.
    I missed where anybody said it wasn't good or okay.
    I wouldn't recommend it on a regular long term basis
    If you get to the root of the problem and balance your stomachs PH
    then it is better than just using the vinegar on the hair although when her hair is this bad she should do both until it starts improving.

Let us know if the doctor says you have a hormonal imbalance or not and then we can take the diet from there. BUT for now cut out a lot of acidic foods.

I disagreed with the fact that the vinegar was not good your hair. It is good for your hair I have a cousin that used it when she was allot younger as a conditioner it kept her hair soft and silkly or at least that's what was said. And it is good for acne and healing sores too. It's also good taking for when you are sick to your stomach ( apple cider vinegar ) my Mom used it for that a long time.
    adgeer Posts: 12, Reputation: 1

Aug 22, 2008, 03:55 AM
    It is normal for us to shed about 50-80 hairs per day. If you are experiencing breakage, try to do a deep conditoning treatment once a week with a protein conditioner. If you want to go the less expensive route, someone have already mentioned a mayonaise recipe. Because of the protein in that it should work with stopping the breakage. Be sure to follow up any protein treatment with a moisturizing conditioner. Hope this helps.

Antonina
    boysuckme11 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 11, 2010, 09:26 AM
    A little olive oil and a couple eggs go a long way!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Hair falling out [ 2 Answers ]

Hi , My problem is commonly found these days in youth. I'm 26 now and have smoked for many years. But currently I stopped smoking from the past couple of months. For the past couple of years my hair started falling severely and almost getting into bald head now. I'm sure smoking could be...

My hair is falling out [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I'm new to this site and I am worried because my hair is falling out. I've always noticed strands of hair on my brush and on the bathroom floor, but it has never alarmed me until now. I am 43 years old and in good health. I have been blow drying my hair for many years and flat ironing for...

Hair falling out? [ 8 Answers ]

Hey. So for the longest time, when every I shower, brush my hair or even stroke my fingers through it, strands of hair always come out... and when I show.brush my hair that's when the most strands fall out... It worries me because I dotn want to be bald by the time I'm 20 I really don't...

Why is my hair falling out? [ 4 Answers ]

I know that some hair loss is normal but lately I've been finging that I have excessive shedding of my hair. When I run my fingers through my hair it is coming out in small clumps. This happens several times a day and I find my hair all over EVERYTHING. I do not take vitamins at the present time....

My hair is falling out! [ 6 Answers ]

The past 2 weeks my hair has been falling out in CLUMPS! It is scaring the crap out of me, I'm afraid I'm going bald or something. I'm only 23! What is causing this, and what can I do? I did recently get a Mirena IUD inserted, would that have anything to do with it? It does have a low dose...

View more questions Search