Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    aking2008 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Aug 1, 2008, 06:40 PM
    MTD Yard Machines tractor won't start
    I have an MTD Yard Machines 20 h.p. Lawn tractor with the Briggs & Stratton I/C engine. The engine model # is 461707 and the type is 0143 E1. My son was cutting grass yesterday and said that the jerk and hesitate a little and then started making a clicking sound so he turned the blades off and then turned the engine off. We've tried starting it since then but it won't crank. There is a quick click but nothing happens. I checked the oil level on the dipstick and it was very low but not dry or empty. I've charged the battery also because I was afraid that continually trying to start it had drained it. Still nothing. Today I tried to spin it by hand and it would not budge. This has me thinking that the engine is locked up somehow. I have no experience with that at all. Any ideas? I brought the mower brand new back in 2000 and have not had any engine problems in 8 years, although I've gone through several belts and a few tires.

Thanks,
    aking2008
    RMY Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

Aug 2, 2008, 06:35 PM
    Rem your plug, then try to rotate the eng make sure your starter gear is not stuck in your flywheel or your drive belt is not stuck in a pulley. If it won't rotate you probably had a crankshaft failure.

Aug 9, 2008, 06:33 PM
    Would not rotate. I read somewhere that the problem could also be the solenoid. Is that possible? How would I check? I changed the spark plugs just to be safe also. When I turned the ignition key there is a clicking sound but nothing else happens. It only clicks once each time I turned the key.
    RMY Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

Aug 10, 2008, 04:55 AM
    What is clicking? If it was jerking and clicking while running, most likely your transmission gears are worn. If it won't start now, to eliminate your safety switchs use a jumper wire from your battery post on your solenoid to the lead on the side, some solenoids have two leads, only one wire should be attached. If it turns over it's a safety switch problem , if not jump both posts on the solenoid, turns over then, bad solenoid. Can you turn the eng by hand by spinning the debris screen by placing your hand flat on it and turning?

Aug 12, 2008, 04:52 PM
    When I say it clicks, I mean when I turn the key you can hear one click in the engine. It's like there is power there but nothing happens. No, I can not turn the engine by hand by trying to spin the debris screen. It won't budge. I will check solenoid. Thanks.
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Aug 12, 2008, 05:00 PM
    You might try taking the starter off. Its not that difficult a job to do. A lot of starters for lawn tractors have been getting stuck due to the magnet inside coming loose. It locks everything in place. Disconnect the batter and remove it. Then remove the top cover from the unit. That should expose the starter.. Usually held in with 2 bolts. Reverse procedure for installing a new one. If your adventurous then you could take apart the old starter to verify but while its off make sure the motor turns over.
    bmoon28286 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 22, 2012, 01:53 PM
    aking2008... did you ever find out what the problem was and how to fix it. I have the same problem. I was cutting the lawn yesterday stopped to move something out of the way, then when I got back on it would barely turn over, after repeated attempts it would turn at all. Had the battery tested and charged now I just get the single click when I turn the key. I hope you figured it out.
    Let me know
    DG Posts: 1,375, Reputation: 109
    Ultra Member

Feb 22, 2012, 02:07 PM
    Make sure your starter gear is not stuck in your flywheel
    Turn engine backwards by hand
    justme5811 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 7, 2013, 12:13 PM
    I have a 2007 yard machine and when you try starting it, it turns fast about 3/4 of the way around and then it seems to stick then it repeats as soon as its past that point. I bought a new battery, tried jumping it etc .
    Nothing seems to turn it fast enough to start. Any suggestions?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

MTD Yard Machines belt drive [ 6 Answers ]

How do you change the drive belt on a MTD Yard Machine lawn tractor? The old one was shredded so I do not have a reference.

MTD Yard Machines tractor will not start [ 3 Answers ]

My MTD Yard Machines tractor with a 21hp motor and a 46in deck will not start. It had been working fine up until recently. However, since our last rain it has not started. I cover it with a large tarp to make sure the tractor does not get wet as I do not have a shed or garage to store it in. ...

13HP MTD Yard Machines Rider Won't Start [ 9 Answers ]

I would like your advice as to the next step I should take to get this mower going. It's a MTD 600 series rider from 2001 with a 13 HP Briggs (28T700). This machine ran a month ago but now it won't. The starter will engage the engine and it will "run" while the starter is engaged, but the engine...

View more questions Search