Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    eswaff Posts: 12, Reputation: 1

Aug 12, 2008, 12:48 PM
    Bathroom on Preplumbed Basement
    Very Novice plumber here trying to figure out how to set up a full bath with my preplumbed basement. I have a few photos of the situation and willing to email them since I cannot figure how to attach photos in this text. So here goes:

1. I know where the toilet and shower will be. Toilet on 4inch stub and the shower drain will be over the peagravel filled square in the floor.

2. Regarding the two 2in lines that protrude through the cement floor and connect with each other in the joist and (I assume) exit to the roof for a vent. Now, looking at where the two 2inch lines are how do I go about determining which one I can use for the bathroom sink or does it matter. One is about 18 inches from the toilet stub to the left and the other is 15 inches to the right and 4 ft in front of the toilet stub.

3. If I use one of the two 2inch lines for the drainage of the sink(s) do I need to cut into either pipe and place my own T in there to run it to wherever my sink will be or how is that done.

4. ALso, the two copper lines coming out of the floor by the main water meter and shutoff. Is that how I hook up the water supply to the bath and if so , how does water flow through there if they are open right now without water flow.

Yes these questions may seem pretty simple but I have no knowledge of basement plumbing so any advice is welcomed and appreciated.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Aug 12, 2008, 12:59 PM
    1. I know where the toilet and shower will be. Toilet on 4inch stub and the shower drain will be over the peagravel filled square in the floor.
    Not quite! That square in the pour is a tub dap-out and should: 1) either be moved to pick up a manufacturesw shower base, 2) The square must be cemented over and patched in any case but if you plan on a custom tile shower it can be left there. You do know that a shower base that fits a tub rough in is out there. Interested?
    To answer any farther you will have to send me some pictures .
    Head the post PLUMBING so it won't get sent to junk mail.
    [email protected]
    I'll be waiting, Tom

Aug 12, 2008, 01:22 PM
    Thanks Tom for the quick reply. Photos are on their way. My hope is to put in a shower/tub combo on that drain for the shower. Can that be done. Basically, in general, Im not sure how to lay out the bathroom with where the two 2in lines that are coming out of the cement are. Also the two open copper lines, not sure how water flows through those if they are uncapped now and have no water pressure. Thanks in advance for the suggestions.

Thanks
    Eric
    Eternal Plumber

Aug 12, 2008, 02:42 PM
    Thanks Eric, The pictures came through OK. I'll look them overtonight and get back to you after my doctors appointment in the morning. Regards, Tom
    Eternal Plumber

Aug 13, 2008, 12:56 PM
    That square is roughed for a tub/shower. Is that what you have planned?
    2. Regarding the two 2in lines that protrude through the cement floor and connect with each other in the joist and (I assume) exit to the roof for a vent. Now, looking at where the two 2inch lines are how do I go about determining which one I can use for the bathroom sink or does it matter. One is about 18 inches from the toilet stub to the left and the other is 15 inches to the right and 4 ft in front of the toilet stub.
    That's a lotta pipes running up for a bathroom group. Are you in Cal. or under the UPC where everything trapped has to have it's own vent?
    3. If I use one of the two 2inch lines for the drainage of the sink(s) do I need to cut into either pipe and place my own T in there to run it to wherever my sink will be or how is that done.
    You nwill need to cut in a 2 X 1/1/2" sanitary tee to pick up the lavatory. But first you're going to hafta establish what those pipes are and if anything drains into them from above.
    4. ALso, the two copper lines coming out of the floor by the main water meter and shutoff. Is that how I hook up the water supply to the bath and if so , how does water flow through there if they are open right now without water flow.
    there should be two more open pipes somewhere in the basement. Ifnot then perhaps they have been buried in the pour. If so they're lost and you'll have to take off from the mains. What's that "big ole curvy pipe" near the two strub ups? Never saw a hook up like that before. Would it be possible to contact the plumbing company and find out how they figured the basement bath should be configured? Let me know about the plumbing code that you're under. If it's UPC then those pipes are dedicated vents. Back to you, Tom

Aug 15, 2008, 07:41 PM
    Talked with the plumber about the basement- got most of my questions answered. He said that the tub drain box was for a shower but it is 19 inches off the wall and 17inches from the vent stack for the shower which I believe should be enough room for a tub/shower. Is there anything special I need to do to set it up for a tub/shower?

The copper pipes are for a wet bar in another area of the basement which they are above the concrete so I am good there.

This is in Iowa BTW. Thanks for your help.
    Eternal Plumber

Aug 16, 2008, 04:59 AM
    Talked with the plumber about the basement- got most of my questions answered. He said that the tub drain box was for a shower but it is 19 inches off the wall and 17inches from the vent stack for the shower which I believe should be enough room for a tub/shower. Is there anything special I need to do to set it up for a tub/shower
    A typical tub rough in has the trap raiser 15 1/2" off the side wall and 1 1/2" off the front plate to the center of the raiser. Do ypou plan on framing the walls out or moving the trap? The plumber saved you a lot of hassle when he
    Included a cleanout on each stack vent. Now you can snake from the basement instead of having to snake from a roof vent. Good luck, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Basement Bathroom [ 3 Answers ]

We are considering building a home inside a metal building. We would like to install a bathroom in the basement and are curious what our options are if nothing has been dug for the septic or the basement area.:confused:

Bathroom plumbing with basement bathroom [ 1 Answers ]

Could you please tell me what cause my upstairs bathroom to back up into my basement bathroom?

Basement Bathroom [ 24 Answers ]

Ive just purchased a home and would like to add a full bath in the basement. The main plumbing drain appears to run into and below the concrete floor. The question is can the stub ins be tied into the existing drain? Can I cut up the floor and run the rough stub ins and hire a plumber to tie them...

Basement bathroom [ 3 Answers ]

I am adding a bathroom in abasement that is stubbed in. My questions are; 1. Do I simply remove the plastic pipe that is now covering the waste line for the toilet and glue a toilet flange to the pipe where it enters the concrete floor? 2. Same general question on the drain line for the vanity?...

Another Basement bathroom job [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, Thank you for looking at this question and helping me out. Attached is a MS Word doc that should explain everything. I have read a lot of posts in here and I think I have all the info needed for someone to easily answer my questions. I do have a lot better pictures and drawings, but...

View more questions Search