Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    VICTOR GONZALES Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 9, 2008, 02:28 AM
    Grants or Loans for Ex-Felons
    My-name is Victor I'm an ex-felon HI EVERYONE my ? Is am I eligible for a small business loan or grant
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Aug 9, 2008, 02:46 AM
    Hi, Victor!

Greetings and WELCOME to the site! I just moved your question that you had posted in Introductions to this topic area so that it would get the most exposure to those who are best able to answer it. Introductions is for people to introduce themselves and we try to not ask questions there.

We would appreciate it if you would return to Introductions sometime to tell us a little about yourself though, if you would be willing to do that.

Concerning your question, I don't know of any grants or loans that would be available just because someone has been convicted of a felony, has done their time, and might be trying to start a business. Once you have served your time and debt to society because of the crime that you have committed, then you are free to apply for grants or loans just like anyone else. There might be places that could help you to get a jump start though in trying to find employment and could also give you good advice. One such organization would be the Safer Foundation. Home - Safer Foundation They seem to be located in only certain areas, though. Perhaps there might be a similar organization around where you are located? It would help us to help you the best to know where you are located.

Thanks!
    Jillian Wheeler Posts: 6, Reputation: 0

Aug 9, 2008, 03:56 PM
    Hi, Victor. Your past felony conviction should not interfere with your ability to access a small business loan or a grant. I'd recommend you check out the Small Business Administration site, at www.sba.gov. While you are there, take a look at the Microloan programs, which are great for small businesses that need under $40,000.

Unfortunately, there really aren't very many grants to start or grow a business, despite all the promises you see on the Internet. Some cities and states offer "economic development" programs, so it's worth checking to see if those exist in your area.

Of course, there are grants for projects that benefit the community, and many people have started such projects and created jobs for themselves.

Best of luck,

Jillian
    Locky Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 7, 2010, 08:42 PM
    Ms. Wheeler, I hate to bust your bubble, but I am an ex-felon and SBA does not, I repeat Does not lend or even consider lending to ex-felons. I have been down that road too many times in the past. I am sure it was an honest mistake on your part but many times it is not. I think sometimes people like giving others false hope just to watch them suffer.

I don't agree that SBA should be beyond the reach of ex-felons, we have paid our debt to society, denying basic services, is just another way of punishing us again and again for our crimes. Its no small wonder that the percentage of repeat offenders is so high. Take everything away , push them into a corner, and any dog will bit. We have families too, but we have no rights, so we have no course of action but to lie, cheat, steal and kill, until we can feed our kids and protect what little we have left. Maybe a little exaggerated but not too far off the mark.
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Jun 7, 2010, 09:47 PM
    Very old thread that is now archived and so now longer generally visible as a currently active thread.

Original poster has never returned to address anything on the thread.

Thread is now CLOSED.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Government grants or loans for convicted felons [ 5 Answers ]

Are there government grants or loans for convicted felons to go to school.

Is there any free small business grants or grants for felons [ 3 Answers ]

I'm an ex-felon trying to get on with my life and become a possitive person for myself and my children and for the comity that I live in is there any kind of grants I can get to open up a business I would only need about 10,000 to have everything up and going

Grants and or loans [ 1 Answers ]

What kind of grants or loans do they have for single mother for schooling and college

View more questions Search