Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    cdefraia Posts: 14, Reputation: 1

Aug 7, 2008, 04:13 AM
    Well tank pressure gauge
    Got a call from a friend that said when she turned on the sink faucet dirt and a little water with little pressure came out.She turned it off and called me.I asked her if she had water running somewhere that would be depleting the well.She found that a sprinkler system was running on a timer but the timer probably is not working.We turned it off and let the well sit overnight and now there is water and pressure in the house.I RAN THE FAUCETS TO CLEAR OUT ANY DEBRIS IN THE LINES but the noticed at the well tank that every time the tank called for the pump to go on the gauge did not move from cut off or cut on.Do I need to drain the tank and put air into it and then fill it or why is there no gauge reading even though I here the pump running when it is being called.Is the bladder shot?
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Aug 7, 2008, 04:30 AM
    I'd be more likely to suspect a faulty gage. Even if the bladder were ruptured you would still get a reading on the gage. I'd replace the gage and see if you get a reading then. Good luck, Tom
    albinfla Posts: 310, Reputation: 35

Aug 7, 2008, 05:23 AM
    Tom is right on. The gauge is clogged or defective.

While you're replacing the gauge adjust the air in the bladder tank too. If it is a traditional style galvanized tank instead of a bladder, simply drain it all the way.

I can give you procedure if you need it.
    Al

Aug 7, 2008, 05:53 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by albinfla
    Tom is right on. The gauge is clogged or defective.

While you're replacing the gauge adjust the air in the bladder tank too. If it is a traditional style galvanized tank instead of a bladder, simply drain it all the way.

I can give you procedure if you need it.
    Al
    Yes Al.I would lie you to describe the procedure,thank,s Charlie

Aug 8, 2008, 04:25 AM
    Pressure gauge on well tank
    Procedure for changing pressure gauge on well tank
    Eternal Plumber

Aug 8, 2008, 07:00 AM
    Yes Al.I would lie you to describe the procedure,thank,s Charlie
    Hey Charlie, Al's busy so I'll fill in for him.
    To set the air pressure in a bladder tank, look at the cut-in pressure on your pressure switch. Now drain the pressure down with the pump off. When there is no more water coming out of the hose bib that you drained the system down with set the pressure in the bladder tank at 2 lbs. below the pressure switch cut-in pressure. Check it with a tire gage. If your pressure control is set to come on at 20 PSI and go off at 40 PSI then your gage should read 18 PSI. Hope this helps and thank you for rating my reply. Tom,
    albinfla Posts: 310, Reputation: 35

Aug 8, 2008, 08:14 AM
    Charlie,
    Do you have a bladder tank or traditional style tank? If it is a bladder tank, Tom's response is right on. If you have a traditional style tank with multiple fittings on it, then you'll need to do something different. You'll have to follow a procedure to properly drain the tank.
    Al
    jlisenbe Posts: 5,020, Reputation: 157
    Uber Member

Aug 8, 2008, 02:52 PM
    I think the question concerned the gauge itself, not the actual pressure. To change the gauge, simply turn off the system, open a faucet to bleed off pressure, remove old gauge, screw in new gauge (prepped with teflon tape on threads), restore power, and you're in business. Shouldn't take more than thirty minutes.
    Eternal Plumber

Aug 9, 2008, 04:14 AM
    Jlisenbe's correct. I misunderstood the question. But you still have to recharge the bladder tank after you change out the gage. Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

No pressure in tank-gauge at 0 water flow to home is OK [ 3 Answers ]

I have water coming into the house so I know the well pump works fine. The problem is that there is no pressure in the pressure tank and the gauge is at 0. over the winter I ran the water to a steady flow so the pipes wouldn't freeze when the temps dropped to single digits what's wrong with the...

Oil pressure gauge reads zero. [ 1 Answers ]

Hi I have a 1995 jeep wrangler that I just purchased. The oil pressure gauge reads 80 pounds all the time I opened the hood and noticed the eletrical plug was off the oil pressure sending unit. I reinstalled connector and now oil pressure reads zero at idle or 3000 rpm. Do you think sending unit...

Pressure gauge for tank [ 5 Answers ]

I was wondering if anyone could tell me why the psi will not drop on my pressure gauge for the tank . It will go up and stay at that and will not release. The gauge has been replaced and we also unhooked the pressure gauage and switch and let the water flush out. Thanks for any info you may have...

Oil Pressure Gauge [ 2 Answers ]

Where is the best location to install the oil pressure gauge for a "Correct" reading? A "Mechanical" gauge,sorry!

View more questions Search