Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    cnelson Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 6, 2008, 11:40 PM
    How to evict husband in California
    Iv'e been with my husband for 12 years, married for three. Our life style is completely opposite now and I'm in the beginning stages of starting a divorce. With his aggression he's been displaying lately iv'e asked him to leave. Hes not on the lease and does not pay ANY BILLS. How do I get him out ASAP?
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Aug 7, 2008, 06:22 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by cnelson
    Iv'e been with my husband for 12 years, married for three. Our life style is completely opposite now and I'm in the beginning stages of starting a divorce. With his aggression hes been displaying lately iv'e asked him to leave. Hes not on the lease and does not pay ANY BILLS. How do I get him out ASAP?

Depends on what you the "beginning stages of divorce" are. I've never seen anyone evicted from the marital home.

I have seen restraining orders and someone ordered out and then evicted.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Aug 7, 2008, 06:23 AM
    As Judy said, the fastest way is by obtaining a restraining order. You may also file for a separation and make his moving out a condition of the separation agreement. Talk to you divorce attorney.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Aug 8, 2008, 06:09 AM
    Hello c:

If you're married (and you are), and you live in a community property state (and you do), then all it takes is ONE person in the marriage to obligate BOTH. Therefore, if YOU signed the lease, HE'S on it too.

Even if he was just a roommate, you're not his landlord. Therefore, you couldn't evict him. The landlord can evict BOTH of you, but not just him.

excon
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Aug 8, 2008, 07:47 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by excon
    Hello c:

If you're married (and you are), and you live in a community property state (and you do), then all it takes is ONE person in the marriage to obligate BOTH. Therefore, if YOU signed the lease, HE'S on it too.

Even if he was just a roommate, you're not his landlord. Therefore, you couldn't evict him. The landlord can evict BOTH of you, but not just him.

excon

I learn something every day - I didn't realize this applied to contracts/leases (in community property States).

I am never moving to a community property State.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Evict a California roommate [ 4 Answers ]

I have a roommate that must go. He doesn't pay any portion of the rent nor utilities and never has. Will not leave when I ask him to go. If anyone needs more info than this please ask for it. Will a 30 day CA eviction suffice or do I need to have the landlord process this. I'm hoping that I...

Can we still evict? [ 2 Answers ]

My husband and I rented our house to relatives who have been late in every payment. Finally, when they were 2 months behind, we gave them an eviction notice listing as reasons: consistent late payment and nonpayment of rent. They paid the 2 months rent. We had a lease but it was voided when they...

My husband trying to evict me [ 3 Answers ]

My husband and his best friend are trying to evict me and gave me 30 days to move out. I don't have enough money to move out and I have a sick dog. Is this Legal? They threatened to change the locks etc... I live in Oregon and don't know the laws. The house is in my husbands name and he may have...

How to Evict [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, I am renting a house in Michigan. My name is on the lease, however my roommate and I have a verbal agreement that we would split all rent and utilities 1/2. Since January of this year he has not paid anything. Now he is temporary gone (job assignment) and has not paid anything. He is...

View more questions Search