Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    white-rose Posts: 69, Reputation: 9

Aug 6, 2008, 10:20 PM
    Why do Americans dislike Canadians?
    I am not trying to create controversy by any means, I'm just asking this question literally. Its not something I've only experienced a few times, its everywhere. Many forums are written just to discriminate against Canadians and T.V shows written by American's make fun of Canadians, "eh, you live in igloos, you all dress like mounties, and theres moose everywhere, all you care about is hockey" etc etc. Its rude to discriminate like that, I don't care its not acceptable at all to group one country together and hate on us. And people will go out of their way to post blogs calling Canadians stupid, and how we're boring and bland and how we just plain suck. I know someone will state that Canadians will do the same thing, but its not as bad because I never see any Canadians making shows about Americans or anything. I know people are going to get mad about this, but American's just admit you hate on us a lot. Its everywhere and I'm not saying you ALL do, but many of you do. I just want to know, why do so many of you have a problem with Canadian's? I can't wrap my mind around it, what's so bad about Canada?
    bushg Posts: 3,433, Reputation: 596
    Ultra Member

Aug 6, 2008, 10:44 PM
    Wow, I must live a sheltered life. I can only remember a mounty being on one show and can't remember what it was about. ( don't watch much t.v.) I have never seen a Canadian hate blog... but usually I look at the animal or gardening blogs.

I love hockey and the flag is a beauty. I also like the fact that all gets health care, your government seems to be more understanding with small crime. I have read that private companies handle the roads and air traffic and that it runs smoother.

I know the border does a good job... they always make sure our trucks/freight is in proper order before entering (I send trucks to Canada).

I have read some very good post from Canadians on here, shared some laughs, disagreed, agreed, learned a few things and went pfft to some things. So not all Americans dislike you all, heck I am American raised in the South and you would not believe all the crap that is said about us. But that is just what it is "crap" people can't be put in a box no matter how some try. But what do I know I've been called a lazy, toothless, dumb hillbilly, married to half my relatives most of my life.
    michealb Posts: 484, Reputation: 129

Aug 6, 2008, 11:14 PM
    Most american don't dislike Canadians. The reason we make fun of them is be they are one of the only countries that is is politically correct to do so. . They are our friends we figure they can take a joke or two.
    sammijolene Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Aug 7, 2008, 12:04 AM
    Hahaha my roommate is canadian (male) and I am an american (female) and we live in america! I make so much fun of him I call him immigrant I even put it on his 20th birthday cake. I don't hate him or nothing it is just fun because he is from another country I guess and he has a green card he pokes just as much fun back. He says the bluetooth is the american fanny pack. We all join in and say "ay" now all good fun!
    ylaira Posts: 1,193, Reputation: 118
    Ultra Member

Aug 7, 2008, 12:21 AM
    I work in a call center and deal with both americans and canadians. I must say that canadians are much nicer customers.
    0rphan Posts: 1,282, Reputation: 240
    Ultra Member

Aug 9, 2008, 11:11 AM
    I don't think for one minute Americans hate the Canadians, it's just a bit of harmless banter.

It's a bit like us English, we take the p--- out of the Scotts and the Irish and they do the same to us... we love each other dearly really!!
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Aug 9, 2008, 01:15 PM
    Well I got a few individuals ones I don't care much for, but no I don't even think it is widely believed that Americans dislike them. Must be in your area of people you know
    clever diamond Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 26, 2009, 08:43 PM
    I have been an American in Canada three years and yes.. MANY encounters of Canadians making NEGATIVE comments about Americans, my co-workers, bosses, (my new in-laws), the general public, radio personalities cutting down celebs and bands from the states but always promoting Canada's own, it is UNBELIEVABLE!! I never knew... Lived nearly my whole life in the states and never heard an American say a negative thing about a Canadian... it is only known there that Canada is our friendly neighbor.. so disappointing Canada.. it's never an "all" inclusive.. great people everywhere, and I've been about everywhere, there is not much you can do with small minds from every country, that's what I say!
    ylaira Posts: 1,193, Reputation: 118
    Ultra Member

Feb 26, 2009, 09:02 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by clever diamond View Post
    I have been an American in Canada three years and yes.. MANY encounters of Canadians making NEGATIVE comments about Americans, my co-workers, bosses, (my new in-laws), the general public, radio personalities cutting down celebs and bands from the states but always promoting Canada's own, it is UNBELIEVABLE!!! I never knew...Lived nearly my whole life in the states and never heard an American say a negative thing about a Canadian...it is only known there that Canada is our friendly neighbor.. so disappointing Canada..it's never an "all" inclusive.. great people everywhere, and I've been about everywhere, there is not much you can do with small minds from every country, that's what I say!
    As mentioned above I am working in a call center that use to be owned and managed by Canadians and pretty much speaks on both Canadians and Americans. Not that I dislike Americans, my Bf is American I must say it is because of the way Americans behave, speak and use words. I already heard before that Canadians and Americans doesn't mix well but I don't know why. When I started taking calls, I realized why.

I take calls from both countries, customer svc. If Canadian calls in about some problem, they are patient, barely yells, even if their problem is a huge inconvenience they are still calm when they talk and most of all doesn't curse. On Americans in contrary, they are demanding, hot headed, want's an answer immediately even my boyfriend when his door came late and wrong, he demanded it to be free.

I'm not saying not all Canadians are nice and Americans are difficult. I'm TALKING IN GENERAL. I have nothing against Canadians and Americans. Just an observation.
    earl237 Posts: 532, Reputation: 57

Feb 28, 2009, 04:49 PM
    Canadians know much more about Americans than vice-versa. There are some stereotypes that each country has about the other but I don't think there is that much dislike between them in general. There is an old saying that goes 20% of Americans think Canadians are their best friends and the other 80% don't know we exist. Many Americans don't know that Canada is their largest trading partner.
    21boat Posts: 2,441, Reputation: 212
    Ultra Member

Feb 28, 2009, 11:24 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ;
    80% don't know we exist. Many Americans don't know that Canada is their largest trading partner.
    Good Point. When was the last time in the US that Canada was in the news. I think its because our Country doesn't want to offend Canada by accident and start a problem.

I know and hear tons of jokes about many cultures and gays etc. Even the white people Etc. Some jokes are in bad taste but I never heard of a joke that had a Canadian in it. WOW never even gave it a thought until now.

Personally I always considered the Canadians the same as the U,S, in a manner of speaking. There just Further Northerners than Us.
    Pandora800 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 1, 2009, 01:40 PM
    White-rose - this is something I've wondered too as I've noticed it quite often on American TV shows that air here in the UK.

The only answer I can suggest is that they are envious of all the positive aspects which bushg mentions. It's like little kids at school if they're green with envy at another kid then they might deal with it by making fun of or bullying the kid.

Just my humble opinion - but I would like to hear from US citizens what they think and if there is a better reason for all the derogatory comments and references made towards their northern neighbours!
    awesomo1111 Posts: 9, Reputation: 2

Oct 23, 2009, 11:39 AM

I'm a Canadian (and no, I don't live in an igloo, I don't go dogsledding, and I have never said "eh" in my life). I don't think I've ever heard about mass American hatred toward Canadians. I hear a lot that they don't pay much attention to us, but it's all good, I don't need them to validate us. Yes, perhaps some Americans dislike us based on politically charged ideological issues, but then again, it's hard to find a group of people who EVERYBODY in the entire world loves universally. If people dislike you based on stereotypes, then I say they're not worth paying attention to. "Bland," you say? I'll admit, I've never heard that before. Maybe it's coming from a person who has never experienced Canadian entertainment (and I know of many who haven't). It's NOT bland at all. I'd argue that Canada is producing some of the best music in the world right now. You ever watched Corner Gas? That's a great Canadian show. You ever read a book by Margaret Laurence? Mordecai Richler? Robertson Davies? Lucy Maud Montgomery? They're not bland at all. Most Americans just haven't been exposed to them the way Canadians are. And while, yes, it's true that Canadians watch a lot of American TV and watch a lot of American movies, it's because we're geographically close and share virtually the same pop culture. Sort of like England and Scotland do.

A lot of Canadians, I've noticed, seem to dislike Americans, if anything. Okay, maybe not outright dislike, but a lot of them have a smug sense of superiority and think that they're more tolerant, that Canadians are nicer people in general, that we take care of our citizens more, that we're more peaceful, and I could go on for ages. They think that Americans are a bunch of loud, flag-waving patriotic rednecks who sit around wondering which country to invade next while wiping McDonald's off their chin. I don't think that way.

On the other hand, sadly, I think a lot of us think in terms of common images more than we want to. Let's take Australia as an example. Now, I know perfectly well that Australians live a lot like I do, but sadly, when I think "Australia," the images that instantly come to mind are "kangaroo" "Crocodile Dundee" and "the outback." So it makes sense to me that others would view me (a Canadian) in the same light.
    LadyFury Posts: 18, Reputation: 2

Jul 14, 2010, 12:32 PM
    Comment on 0rphan's post
    harmless banter like the Anglo-Irish War? =) why is it the oppressers always down play bad treatment?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Really dislike my husbands best friend [ 8 Answers ]

Here goes.. I am only married a couple months, but this has always been an issue somewhat ever since we have been dating. My husbands best friend is very adventerous, outgoing, and fun... all the reasons they get along so well. My issue is when we all hangout he tends to tease me a lot, not in...

I dislike my new hair [ 1 Answers ]

Ohkay well Ive always had dark hair.and latley I've been in the sun a lot.and my hair has Faded.so I decided to get my dark , black , hair back.So I decided to die.When I died it, It turned out black... but I don't like it .:mad: It doesn't look hideous.But it doesn't look Natural.And I just...

View more questions Search