Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Soluna Posts: 12, Reputation: 1

May 13, 2006, 07:14 AM
    Cultured marble vanity top
    I picked up a cultured marble vanity top to fit on my vanity at home. I didn't remember that the vanity fits into a corner and thus didn't factor in the vanity having a finished edge on that side. Is it possible for me to trim the cultured marble with a circular saw or is specialized equipment/techniques needed to cut this material? Thx
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

May 13, 2006, 09:48 AM
    Since I know nothing about countertops I'm moving your post over to Interior Home Improvement. Cheers, tom

May 13, 2006, 11:46 AM
    OK, thanks.
    skiberger Posts: 562, Reputation: 41

May 15, 2006, 08:02 AM
    Before you do any cutting, try to see if you can return it for the proper top.
    If you need to cut the top, use a circular saw w/ a masonry blade installed. Flip the top over and cut from the bottom side so you don't chip out the finished side when cutting. A belt sander w/ 60 or 80 grit can smooth the edge of the top or if you have to scribe it to the corner.

May 15, 2006, 08:36 AM
    Thanks for the info! I'm definitely looking for an easier way to do this and would rather not cut, but I'm glad to have the information. Thx again.
    bking Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 28, 2007, 05:01 PM
    :)
    Quote Originally Posted by Soluna
    I picked up a cultured marble vanity top to fit on my vanity at home. I didn't remember that the vanity fits into a corner and thus didn't factor in the vanity having a finished edge on that side. Is it possible for me to trim the cultured marble with a circular saw or is specialized equipment/techniques needed to cut this material? Thx
    glavine Posts: 895, Reputation: 87

Jul 30, 2007, 04:38 AM
    Yes You Can Cut Them, With A Masonary Saw, You Also Need A Belt Sander To Finish The Ruff Edges, Or A Grinder.
    pergammano Posts: 82, Reputation: 8

Aug 28, 2007, 07:49 PM
    Once again, OH MY GOSH, you MUST use a diamond blade to cut Marble... and your best bet is to find a friend with a Wet Saw. Of all the materials I cut... Marble is the scariest as it's structure is such that it breaks easily. I would never cut Marble without a Wet Saw & have never sanded it with less than 150 grit.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Cultured Granite counter top water stain [ 2 Answers ]

My wife has placed a plant on our kitchen counter top, which is made of a dark grey colored cultured granite. The plant apparently remained in the same position for nearly a year. Today when it was removed there remains a white discoloration, almost a bleached out stain the exact size of the...

Granite or marble slabe edging- [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, I have a solid piece of granite, about 3/4" thick with a straight cut. Want to do a round edging myself, with grinder/sander type tool. I can get it to desired radius, but not sure how to finish it, to give more smoothness/ polish to match the top surface. I think I need to use various...

Marble and wood flooring [ 1 Answers ]

We are moving into a new house without flooring. I would like wood floors in the kitchen. My husband thinks it will look "too woody". I am looking for pictures to show him, done with color variation between the cabinates and flooring, it shouldn't. I also want to know it we could use marble...

Cultured Marble Tub? [ 2 Answers ]

OK guys, got to good deal on a large cultured marble tub + surround from local manufacter. My first pick was a large cast iron tub but no way for me to easily move it in the house. Cultured marble man is going to install the tub and surround for me. The material looks very strong and durable. ...

Marble Serving Trivets for Hot Dishes [ 1 Answers ]

This isn't about cooking per se, but I didn't know what other category to put it in. I am looking for nice trivets for serving hot dishes (casseroles, lasagna, etc.) on the table. I have seen some attractive marble ones in some cookware stores and catalogs, but I'm not sure if marble can...

View more questions Search