Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Adoe Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Aug 6, 2008, 02:45 PM
    What career can I do as a convicted felon?
    I am seeking a career, however I have criminal background. Every which way I go, I seem to hit a road block, from universities for graduate programs to employers telling me a whole line of bs. I went to an employment agency the other day she told me she could help me find a job at IHOP. I have a degree in Neuro-science from a great university. Does any one have any advice?
    Thanks
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Aug 6, 2008, 04:54 PM
    How long ago was your felony conviction for starters. If it was recent and you served time, then that's your biggest drawback - too recent. If it's 5+ years ago, then you aren't trying hard enough.

Aug 6, 2008, 05:16 PM
    I got out about 4 months ago. I served a little over 18months. I am interning at a small law firm. However, my internship is up in a week. I have went on interviews to no avail. I am just trying to figure out if any career is "felon friendly".
    Thanks
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Aug 6, 2008, 06:48 PM
    None that I know of that are specifically felon friendly. Well, for now you'll basically have to take what is offered to you until you put a bit more time between you and the release. Are you still on probation? If so, then you'll have to wait a bit longer to go for the really good jobs. Some employment applications have the lovely box that you can check that asks if you were convicted of a felony within the last 5, 7 or 10 years. If you want to try your luck, just check no and see how far you get. BUT there always is the case of having your background check being done if it's a bigger company and they end up finding out about the conviction. If it is not drug related you should be okay. If it is drug related or any sort of theft related, then you should worry a lot about this aspect. Again, I don't recommend checking the no box, but if push comes to shove and you feel lucky and really want the job and think you'll do a good job, then by all means go for it. If it's a government job, then don't check no, but check yes and have a good reason to present to the HR person and hope they like you.

If you were doing work for the law firm, howcome you can't stay with them for a bit longer?

Aug 6, 2008, 07:12 PM
    Thanks for the info twinkiedooter. I can stay longer at the firm, however, its an unpaid internship and I am getting hungry. I really want to go back to school to put some space in between my charges, but I am having trouble even with that. I have a neuro-science degree and my charges are drug charges. Many of the degrees are health related and they tend to frown on past drug use. I know I just got to be patient. I have checked the no box before and I was found out. I rather just tell the truth and not have to look over my shoulder.
    Thanks again
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Aug 6, 2008, 07:53 PM
    Hello A:

Have you tried para-legal... That's a generic term. Lots of lawyers are looking for somebody to help them out. If you can do the work, most of 'em wouldn't care about your record.

I only said that because you're working at a law firm... As what?? You could also try sales. If you can sell, you can find a job. What about entrepreneurship? Nobody cares about your record if they're going to make money with you. I'll bet you can invent all sorts of neuro scientific devices.

Whatever kind of work you're looking for, try to apply at mom and pop shops. With those kind of business's, you can probably interview with the guy right then and there. If you can impress him, he'll care a lot less about your record.

Those places where you need to fill out an application or leave your resume and they'll call you... Forget about 'em.

excon
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Aug 6, 2008, 08:05 PM
    Yes, many of the jobs, the real issue today is that there are dozens of applications for any one application, for some positions even more.
    So it is not that many are felon unfriendly but if you have people with similar educations and training. So one has to keep at it.
    chazzz Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 6, 2008, 09:01 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Adoe
    I am seeking a career, however I have criminal background. Every which way I go, i seem to hit a road block, from universities for graduate programs to employers telling me a whole line of bs. I went to an employment agency the other day she told me she could help me find a job at IHOP. I have a degree in Neuro-science from a great university. Does any one have any advice?
    Thanks
    All I can say is when I got out I applied at 40 different jobs and was avoided because I told the truth on the app. I have 2 2nd degree felonies from 14 years ago. I do really well now and this is how I did it. After the 40 apps, I made a mistake and lied on my app and they fired me because someone ratted on me I thought I could trust. BIG MISTAKE don't lie about it. There is a loop hole. Whenever applying never answer the question. Go to the interview dressed to impress. Go through the complete interview till you get an offer. Then tell them by the way there is something I have to explain to you on my app. If this doesn't go well ask if this would have made a difference before we talked about money. Some places simply won't work depending on the Offenses , Example: A pharmacist with a drug offense) People are quick to stereotype you because of what's on paper. So use it toward your advantage. A shirt and tie will get you along way as long as you cover the tats and play it cool.
    ka5pjw123 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 26, 2008, 03:56 PM
    Mine were 16 years ago, a single 4th degree felony and I went from the board room to selling on eBay for the last 4 years.

Nothing not a soul, no one will hire me for anything, it is self employment of starve to death and its been like that for 16 years

When your arrested they fingerprint you, now finance and insurance have laws against hiring felons, any job requiring you to be fingerprinted is going to get you.

I made it to executive VP and COO of a company and was doing well at it until they needed us fingerprinted, and I was out in less than 24 hours later.

It's a brand you have for life. Its small companies who never check or self employment.
    jermarley Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 31, 2008, 12:53 PM
    My god, I am reading this on a day in which I have decided that even though I have a felony from 2000 and have been through the whole thing of NOT finding decent work... I am having a bit of success in possible work outside the U.S. for teaching English in other countries. It is not the best solution and I have been dragged through the coals and come out VERY humbled and depressed at times! I hope someday to be able to start a solution for MOST felons to be treated as a normal citizen again. It breaks my heart that my mistake from all most ten years ago, as little as it was (drug game) that my adulthood and others adulthood will be effected negatively for ever. If anyone wants to slowly work on a Govt funded program to effectively find great jobs for ex felons... I am in!
    PS... IF YOU HAVE ANY THOUGHTS ON OVERSEAS WORK... LET ME KNOW ALSO!
    frylock7 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 22, 2008, 05:34 AM

I am a felon and I work at IHOP. I know it sounds beneath you, but for now, I would take it until something breaks loose. You have no idea how many good connections I have made at IHOP. You wouldn't think it is the place to network but, I have met editors and real estate brokers that have really helped me. A lot of businesses have their meetings at IHOP. Plus, I make $150.00 to $175.00 a day. There are a few women there that have degrees and choose to stay at IHOP because they make more money than they did with their degree. That is completely discouraging to me because I am in college and I owe a lot for loans. I would hate to think IHOP is the best thing, but I guess it comes down to doing something you love or making money. I would rather do something I love. But for now, IHOP pays the bills.
    Uber Member

Oct 22, 2008, 05:52 AM
    Hello fry:

You should start your own thread... But, I can see that you didn't know that, so somebody might come along and do it for you...

Anyway, I think ANY job in this economy is good. Plus, being a felon, if you look around here, you'll see that many of them can't even get a job at IHOP.

So, in my view, you're doing fine. And, what was your question??

excon
    paullafrance Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 30, 2008, 11:12 AM

Well. Have you ever thought about getting your felony expunged? No, I do not mean a pardon. It is a lot better than a pardon. When you get a pardon, there is a note put into your file stateing that you got a pardon, but when you get your felony expunged. It is totally erased. You can also go to hard2hire.com and goodwill.com yes, the people at the good will store near you will tell you how you can get paid training. And you will get paid while you go through training. I would also like to go and get a job out side of the united states.
    johnni Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 3, 2009, 10:16 PM

To jermarley--can't you have your court records sealed as long as you have jumped through all the hoops and are no longer"on paper"?
    lovermamma Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 10, 2009, 07:10 AM
    Hmm, this sounds like a good thread. I to am a felon, working at a dead end job and my girlfriend keeps naggin me about a career. "what do you want to do with your life, you need to start thinking about that." I am 23 years old and did 3 years in prison, and lie on applications all the time so far, because if not, it just isn't happening. She don't understand that I can't just go pick a career like she can and trot along my way and live happily ever after. Like someone said up there though, leave box empty, dress to impress, and push forward. If you are going to be an asset to the company, and TRULY an asset and not just needing a job, they will want you. I liked the idea of the voerseas teaching, Im still on parole now, or id actually consider that! Would be nice!
    MLAS Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 24, 2009, 04:10 PM
    You know what the gov don't care about us. How am i suppose to raise my kids. Do for my family. They want us to go back and do wrong. Its just not about me anymore but my kids i need a job to do right by them. I hate the fact that the gov doesn't care. Hell the world seems not to care. I say this. If you have a felony and was convicted 7 years ago or 5 years ago or 10 years ago. Go for the job

Just got out. Go for it. Eoe.
    Beingwhole69 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 14, 2010, 12:15 PM
    I too am in kind of the same boat. I have a Masters Degree in Social Work and did amazing work with children and their families even working at the State. I was released in October, and have applied to so many places. I am looking at some not-for profit things but nothing yet. Even though my crime had nothing to do with my profession, I have been really shut out of doing anything in the Social Work profession. I am really struggling with the loss of my profession and contemplating on going back to school and a crewing more debt just to have something to do. I know that most offenses can be expunged after many years. I will pursue that when the time comes but in the mean time I need work. I am not against doing any type of work, but seem to continue to run into obstacles. I feel like I have a scarlet letter strapped against my chest. I have to be on parole till next October and probably till then nothing will be accomplished. I am going to try and go to school for education, or something in the health care field. Hopefully after I finish yet another costly trip into higher learning with the hope that I will be able to get this crappy felony off my record. I found a site on line that said that they could get employment for felons but it costs $275.00 really... I don't have a job and you want me to come up with that kind of money. Well I could go on and on... Just think that people like us understand that we have made a mistake, we are trying to re-build our lives, we should not have to carry this albatross around our necks. Does anyone have any real resolutions to this? If you have any ideas I would surely be open to it.
    Uber Member

Jan 14, 2010, 01:20 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Beingwhole69 View Post
    I found a site on line that said that they could get employment for felons but it costs $275.00 really.... Does anyone have any real resolutions to this?
    Hello whole:

Real solutions?? Nope - just some ideas...

First off, I would NEVER pay money to get a job. Next, I would seek employment in small, mom and pop type of places because you can speak directly with the owner on your first trip. The point I'm making, is hopefully, YOU make a good impression, because if he looks at your resume FIRST, you're not going to have an opportunity to make a good impression.

I also suggest being self employed. Generally, when somebody hires a business, they don't do a background check. So, if you were a CPA for example, instead of looking for work in an accounting firm, put out your own shingle..

excon
    nafai Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 25, 2010, 07:15 PM
    Im reading this and the only comfort I get is knowing Im not alone. When I was 21 I got arrested for drug trafficking and I did 1 year mandatory time. The part of that time that really pisses me off the most is the release program a month before you get out. They pump your head with all these lies saying when you get out everything will be the same as when you came in. Sadly it is not. I went out putting in applications with a friend. She got several calls I received none. I went to college for a year and I plan on going back but the big question is as what? From where I sit, everything I aspire to do will be ultimately shut down. I have a family. I made a mistake I was young and very dumb. I was perhaps too young too really fully understand that the decisions I was making were long term and ultimately hurtful to my future. I got out and have not had one blemish on my record, not even a traffic ticket. There are however evictions because of the stressful nature of my conviction and the hardship it puts on earning a living. I think there should be a forgiveness policy for offenders who like most of us here have made a mistake once. Im not a career criminal, I don't plan on selling drugs again.. but sometimes I ask myself if that's all there is for me anymore. Is that the only way Im going to be able to make ends meet. I work construction now when I can find work. Basically living on my fiancés income and that's depreciating as a man. Im a home maker, something don't sit right with me about that. I don't terribly mind cause I love hangin with my one year old son. Im just feeling a little depressed cause Im willing to do the work whatever it takes to be successful. I just want to know that the work I put into it will be rewarded in the end. I would love to practice law but the immoral nature of my crime wouldn't sit well with the bar. I would also like to practice medicine, as my mother was a nurse. But I truthfully doubt I would even be admitted into med school let alone given a license to practive medicine. There really needs to be some reform to the penal system.
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Jan 25, 2010, 11:31 PM
    Just so people know who continue to post on this thread...

It's now really old and archived and so, not generally visible unless someone happens to go to this forum topic area, or is notified because there's activity on it because the person being notified has already posted on it.

If you have a new question or even comments that might work for starting a thread, please do start a new thread so that what you write will get noticed and recognized as being your own, on the current, daily list.

This place doesn't work the same way that a chat room does. New questions that aren't in some way, an answer to the very first question at the top of the page, need to be asked by starting a new thread.

Thanks!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Convicted Felon [ 6 Answers ]

Hello All I have a federal felony for Bank Fraud. I'm currentlty on probatin and It will end December 2008. So my felony will be on my record once my probation is over. Now I'm engaged and my Fiance' is enlisted in the United States Air Force. His orders will send him oversea's More than likely to...

A convicted felon marrying another felon [ 2 Answers ]

I am a felon and my fiance' has just been picked up by the feds and we were going to get married in 2 weeks. I am wondering if I can still marry him in the federal jail. I know that the government shuns felons around other felons but, we have 3 kids together and I would think that they would allow...

Convicted Felon [ 2 Answers ]

Are there jobs for convicted felons in Dallas, Texas?

Convicted felon [ 1 Answers ]

Can a convicted felon who was convicted of a drug charge in 1992 do residential or commercial financing as a loan officer? I was convicted of a crime years ago as a young lad which was my first and only conviction but this crime still haunts me in the job market. I am very intelligent and good with...

Convicted Felon [ 1 Answers ]

I'm a convicted felon. I would like to marry my boyfriend that is not a native or a resident of the united States. Is there a waiting period for me to file for his residency?

View more questions Search