Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Aug 5, 2008, 12:21 PM
    Wild Baby bird with broken wing found.
    Hi everyone,

I need some help. I've raised domesticated baby birds before, but never a wild bird, at least not one that lived. :(

My daughter found a baby bird on the sidewalk in front of our house. I know that fledglings will leave the nest before they are able to fly, and that the mother bird will continue to feed it, but this baby has a broken wing, and is also no where near a nest (not that I could find anyway).

I cannot leave it on the sidewalk, too many kids, too many cats, too many other things that will get to it. Also, the broken wing, which is a major problem.

My question, what do I feed it? I hear that mushed up dog food is good, but will that be enough? I need to do everything I can to keep this baby alive.

Yes, I've called the rescue society, they won't come until Friday at the earliest, it isn't a rare bird, so I guess it's not top priority. I think it's a chickadee or a finch, not sure though.

Here's a picture, it's not great, don't want to take another, the flash scares the bird;

Name:  Oreo and Kilala 033.jpg
Views: 3053
Size:  4.7 KB

Any help would be appreciated, Friday is a long way off and the rescue society gave me no info whatsoever. Please, someone, help.
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Aug 5, 2008, 12:32 PM
    Any time I ever found birds with broken wings they died within a day. Hope you have way better luck.
    Pets Expert

Aug 5, 2008, 12:38 PM
    I hope I do too NoHelp. This little one is so precious, keeps peeping. If it weren't for the broken wing I think it would be fine. My problem is, even if it does survive, with a broken wing it will never be free. Guess I just adopted another animal. ;)

So far he/she is resting, and from what I found on the internet, I think it's a yellow breasted finch.
    Hurting Mom Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Aug 5, 2008, 02:23 PM
    Best of luck to you... I tried with a wild adult bird with a broken wing--it only lasted one day but still I'd done my best by it. I fed it mushed up dry dog food--it's pretty good for them and all you may be able to do it keep it from a "worse death" by keeping it full and warm.
    Pets Expert

Aug 5, 2008, 05:12 PM
    Update. I've gotten him to eat, and boy did he eat. :) I did some more research, he's definitely a yellow breasted finch. I've hand raised pet finches before, used to have 18 of them, a few times the mom would throw a baby out of the nest and refuse to take it back, so I'd end up hand raising. I had some luck with it, two that survived, one that was extremely tame, so I hope that I can keep this little fellow alive.

So far so good, I'll keep you all posted. :)
    Uber Member

Aug 5, 2008, 05:14 PM
    That sounds good. I am not so sure I would let him go back to the wild though cause he may never be able to really take care of himself fully even if his wing gets better.
    Pets Expert

Aug 5, 2008, 05:22 PM
    I'm going to play it by ear NoHelp, see if he heals, though I doubt it. Bad thing about finches, they are not a solitary bird, in fact, they can not live alone, they need a partner. They are very much like love birds. They don't necessarily need a mate, but they are happier and healthier with a friend. I really don't want to get started with finches again, I already have a cockatiel and a house full of pets, but I am prepared to keep this little guy.

Worse comes to worse, I know my Uncle will take him, in fact he was prepared to do so when I called, but they are going on holidays for 2 weeks, so he can't right now.

I hope it works out, but if not, at least I'm doing all I can do.
    Pets Expert

Aug 6, 2008, 12:32 PM
    Update;

Squeakers the baby bird died some time last night. He was eating very well, but couldn't even walk on his legs, too much damage, also the broken wing, perhaps it's best this way.

I am very sad, but death is a part of life, just hard to accept some times. :(
    Uber Member

Aug 6, 2008, 12:33 PM
    That's sad I was afraid that would happen but was hoping for him to be okay.
    Pets Expert

Aug 6, 2008, 12:35 PM
    I was hopeful too, especially when he started eating so well, and he had so much spunk. The kids took it really hard, but this is a good lesson, although a difficult one.

He's in a better place now, a place where he will fly and walk, so that's a comfort. :)

I did everything I could, sometimes it just isn't enough.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Bird hurt foot or wing laying on one side what to do [ 2 Answers ]

Bird hurt leg or wing can't get to vet until Monday what can I do?

I found a baby bird [ 12 Answers ]

I found a baby bird, it has its feathers but its small, what do I feed it, and how do I care for it?

Removing broken wing nuts [ 3 Answers ]

I shut off the main water supply as I am attempting to replace my toilet tank. When I Looked underneath the toilet, both wing nuts are rusted, and broken off. I sprayed WD To try to loosen without any luck. Any ideas please

Just found out I'm going to have a baby [ 27 Answers ]

Hello everyone, I just found out I'm pregnant, and I have been sick for about a week. I though I had the flu or a 24 hour bug or something. I couldn't believe what the doctor told me next, she said well your going to have a baby. I started too laugh, because I didn't...

Left Wing/Right Wing Or How About A Drumstick? [ 10 Answers ]

I've been following some of the political threads with some interest... Just wondering where some of the regulars see themselves on the ol' political spectrum. Left Wing, Right Wing or planted firmly in the Center, I'd like to know where you see yourself fitting in and perhaps an anecdotal...

View more questions Search