Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    fred miller Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 30, 2008, 08:30 AM
    Convicted felon can I visit canada
    I have 3 felonie convictions did probation on all all done with cai I go to canada to visit and when needed can I get a passport
    amricca Posts: 851, Reputation: 92

Jul 30, 2008, 08:42 AM
    Canada can deny you access because of your felonies.

"Section 19(2)(a.1) of the Immigration Act of Canada states that persons convicted of an offence outside of Canada, that would be an offence under Canadian law, cannot be admitted to Canada. Criminally inadmissable persons can, however, apply for a special permission to enter Canada. This special permission is expressed by a Minister's Permit."

Any person living in the United States who possesses a criminal record and wishes to travel to Canada will need a Ministers Permit. This is valid up to one year. One may also apply for a Rehabilitation. This document is a permanent approval, and allows hassle free border crossing into Canada.
    The Canadian Government will look at each application individually. They will consider the following factors:

1) Nature of conviction
    2) Date of last conviction
    3) Sentencing
    4) Reasons for travel

A Ministers Permit may take up to 6 months for processing. A personal interview may be required at the port of entry nearest the applicant's residence.

Rehabilitation allows lifetime access into Canada. This document never needs to be renewed. A Ministers Permit and Rehabilitation does not permit one to work in Canada. These approvals allow visitation for a period up to 6 months at a time.

Interestingly enough, President Bush had to file for these papers as he has a DUI conviction. He can cross the border until 2004 according to his paper work.
    lawanwadee Posts: 3,653, Reputation: 124
    Immigration Expert

Jul 30, 2008, 11:30 AM
    amricca is correct.

You can obtain US passport, but visiting other countries is another thing. Check with the consulate of that country what you need to do, or if you are eligible, etc.
    will1265 Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Aug 4, 2008, 07:39 PM
    Many countries do not allowed felons to enter passport or not. Canada is one for sure. Here is a link to the Official Visa web site that will allow you to click on each country and check their requirements
    Visa Services
    will1265 Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Aug 4, 2008, 07:41 PM
    Visa Services
    Dreamer1920 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 8, 2012, 08:19 AM
    How do you go about applying for a Minister's permit or a Rehabilitation document?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Travel to Canada for convicted felon [ 4 Answers ]

Having been convicted of a State Jail Felony in Texas in 1996 will there be an issue with entering Canada on a business trip?

Convicted Felon Travel to Canada [ 5 Answers ]

I have a friend who was convicted of a Class I felony, and has recently completed his probation. He wants to drive up into Canada. Will he have problems getting into and out of Canada with only a birth certificate? (It's my understanding the birth certificate is good for land travel through the...

Can a convicted felon get into canada? [ 1 Answers ]

He already has a passport it may have to be renewed and he got it after he was convicted he had went to the Bahamma's with no problem... but can he drive in with his family or does he have to fly ?:confused:

How does an X felon visit Canada legally? [ 3 Answers ]

I am writing for a friend of mine, both of us are interested in eventually purchasing property in Canada together. I have a misdemeanor for being an environmental activist performing an illegal act; my friend is a released felon for selling marijuana several years ago. My friend told me he...

View more questions Search