Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    cuteangel Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 3, 2008, 01:06 AM
    Smell of death
    Just yesterday I tried to lie down for a nap with my 15 month old in the guess room of our house, and suddenly this over whelming smell filled the room, it wasn't making me gag but it made me really scared and leave the room. The smell, to me, smelled like death, the way my grandfather smelled at the funeral home of his wake, and just now I drove to the store to pick up a few thing's and as I was getting in to the car the smell filled the air again, but was gone when I got into my car. What does this mean? Is it some way of letting me know that I will die soon? It is freaking me out ! I won't go in the guest room now! I'm to embarrassed to tell my husband, people does anyone have an answer
    KissMe10der Posts: 306, Reputation: 22

Aug 3, 2008, 01:14 AM
    Don't feel embarressed... If it frightens you... then you need to talk about it.

I hope it doesn't mean you will die soon... that would be horrable.

I had a friend in high school... A few days before he died.. He had a lot of pain in his neck.. and couldn't move. He wrote it in his journal online..
    Few days, later he was hit by a truck walking to school. :( Died on the scene.
    ISneezeFunny Posts: 4,175, Reputation: 821
    Ultra Member

Aug 3, 2008, 01:21 AM
    Not.. so sure kissme10der's story will make you feel any better..

I usually don't come onto this thread as I'm not a huge believer of paranormal phenoms... but this interested me.

Our bodies are interesting... your mind can trigger a certain smell. For instance, if one thinks about christmas, some people think they smell wood burning in the fireplace... etc. Perhaps you were having a dream that related to your grandfather, and thus this may have triggered your scent memory. It may be best to talk to someone about this... perhaps a counselor.

I'm not, by any means, discounting your paranormal phenom, I'm simply trying to explain from a purely biological standpoint.
    KissMe10der Posts: 306, Reputation: 22

Aug 3, 2008, 01:27 AM
    Yea, I didn't mean to scare you.. Just telling you what I have seen.

Just be careful.
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Aug 3, 2008, 02:11 AM
    Please excuse me, but I do think that you are a person who has a very active imagination and is over-reacting to something without first exploring the possibilities as to why this sort of smell may be occurring.

I'm not sure that there is any one smell that might be associated with death.

I do remember back in 1982, when my father was dying of cancer and it had gone throughout his body, that when he would open his mouth and breath that it smelled horrible, unlike any bad breath that I had ever smelled. It think that to this day that it was the smell of cancer. But, not really sure...

To me though, what would remind me of the smell, was that it would smell exactly the same as cheap paper towels when they got wet at the church where I was the custodian at the time.

If where you are located is a place where it's the summertime at the present time, then I would suggest first looking for any possible logical source for the smell. Maybe the wind is blowing in a direction in which it normally might not and carrying the smell to you from someplace else? Perhaps there is a factory or plant that produces things nearby that might be producing the smell. Could also be a number of reasons as to the origin of it. Best to be investigating them rather than making things up that the smell is a "sign" of some kind.

Just my thoughts on this...
    AKaeTrue Posts: 1,599, Reputation: 272
    Ultra Member

Aug 3, 2008, 02:58 AM
    Cuteangel,

Since the thought of something paranormal happening around you scares you,
    I would suggest for you to tell your husband so that he may help you in
    Searching for the cause of the oder. You have your small child to care for
    And he/she doesn't need their mommy fearing her death.

I once smelled the scent of death on and off in my house.
    I'd still get whiffs of it while I was away from home.
    Come to find out I had two dead squirrels under my house.

As for smelling the oder when I was away from home, I thought the
    Smell was "stuck in my nose" as the saying goes... if that's even possible.

I do however strongly believe that the mind is a powerful thing that no one
    (not even brain surgeons) know a whole lot about.

Like SneezeFunny and Clough mentioned, thoughts can trigger smells
    And smells can trigger thoughts... it's happened to me lots of times.

I also believe in the paranormal. If no reasonable explanation can be found
    And you're open to the idea, it wouldn't hurt to have a priest bless your home.

Good luck and best wishes.
    cuteangel Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 3, 2008, 03:42 AM
    I did look around the house for any dead rodent or anything of the sort and found nothing. Nor is there any out side element ex. Farm, factory, landfill etc, that would produce such a smell. I agree that certain memories can be triggered by smell, however I was not thinking about my grand dad at the time. I'm not sure if I beleave in the paranormal, I can't explain it, I just felt over whelmed with fear and an uneayness, to get up and leave the room, I felt at the time I was being warned of something or to perpare myself for something. I'm not saying this is a sign, all I'm saying is how it made me feel.

Any ideas on how to invistagate the origin of this smell? Can a septic smell like death?
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Aug 3, 2008, 04:07 AM
    I still don't really think that we can pinpoint what the smell of death is like. If you would let us know approximately where you live, it's possible that someone who is a member here might be able to pinpoint you as to the location of the smell that is troubling you so much.

I really don't think that you have anything to be concerned about or worry about that might be ominous or a "sign" of some kind.

Please believe me in that regard. I have had to deal with situations of death on a number of occasions concerning relatives or persons where I was one of the caretakers. They have all been different but none of them have involved omnipresent smells of any kind.

Is there a particular reason that you are having these thoughts about death? You are safe and anonymous here if you would like to reveal some inner thoughts as to why you might be thinking about things along the lines of death.

Thanks!
    tammyl1633 Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Aug 3, 2008, 04:14 AM
    Possible sewer gases. All p-traps should have a plug of water to prevent sewer gases from entering your home. Just a thought.
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Aug 3, 2008, 05:28 PM
    It could be the smell of death. Many people have been known to die from mold infestation. You really need to check your home for that and other gasses like raedon. Im not trying to put fear into you but it many states in the US mold is a constant problem that can lurk unseen and must be removed in a special way because its considered toxic. A heavy smell could indicate that so please be aware and have your house checked by a professional.
    0rphan Posts: 1,282, Reputation: 240
    Ultra Member

Aug 5, 2008, 06:16 AM
    CuteAngel... I don't believe there is such a thing as smell of death. There are things when losing a loved one that remind us of this... a certain smell... hospital etc

However I have to say that because you associate this smell with your Grandad, that it could be him watching over you... after all you do have his great grand child,who I suspect he comes to see often.

I have a similar thing with my Dad ( bless him) on many occasions I have gone into my bedroom and smelt his brand of cigarettes... you can't buy them now... other occasions it's pepper.. always had pepper on his food, I say hi Dad how you doing or what ever comes to me at the time. He then goes again till the next time.
    spirital Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Nov 29, 2008, 06:20 AM

I understand where you are coming from
    Since my father died 2.5 yrs ago I too have a smell that follows me from time to time a sickly sweet smell but I don't get scared I feel it might be my father visiting. My daughter who is 11 told me she has had it at school.

What has scared me is when my daughter and I had this sigh in the computer room we both herd it and thought it was the dog. The dog was round the corner up the coridoor in the Kitchen a sleep. This is not the first time I've herd this.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Smell of death dreams [ 3 Answers ]

For the past 2 days I have been having dreams that actually smell like death, Is there a meaning or something I should know about these dreams I have been having. Please let me know if there is anyone that knows about these drese I am having.

Weird death smell [ 30 Answers ]

All right. Me and my friend were talking in my famialy room and a weird odor came to me. Making me almost sick. Gagging like. It smelled like death. And I looked on Google for possible answers. My friend has been for a long time in communication with many ghosts. They only talk to her when she's...

Dream Interpretation/SMELL OF DEATH TOO! [ 3 Answers ]

I had a nightmare I will never forget... it's haunted me ever since (at least 10 years ago)... I've forgotten a few details but I'm going to try hypnosis to get them back. PLEASE HELP IF YOU'RE EXPERIENCED! :confused: Im standing in a long white nightgown inside a VERY OLD Chapel & I notice...

Smell of death [ 3 Answers ]

Hi I am doing some research for a story and wanted to know if their was a distinctive smell a body that is in rigour mortis for about four hours gives off? How would a body smell if your nose was close to the skin? THanks

Death and credit card death. [ 1 Answers ]

My father recently died leaving enough money to pay off most of his debts,but not all.I contacted those credit card companies that there no funds to pay and informed them of my father's death and that there were no assets to pay these debts.I soon received a letter (from american express) asking to...

View more questions Search