Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    icecreamkid Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 1, 2008, 06:00 PM
    pricing per sq. ft./exterior paint
    I have been told that the going rate for exterior paint is 3 to $5 per square foot.
    Up 'til now I have been charging the same as my housecleaning base rate- $17.50 an hour.
    Needless to say, my clients have been overjoyed with the rates up to now, and I have a couple decades of intensive experience painting almost everything, from boats to houses to motorcycles. So everyone is very happy with the work, too! But, like the starving artist I have always been, I really don't know how to judge the proper rate to charge, and there is an upcoming deadline next week for me to submit this bid for pressure-washing & cleaning as well as painting and trim for a 14 X 44' beach house.. any ideas welcome.
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Aug 2, 2008, 02:20 AM
    The going rate per square foot for painting as well as pressure washing will vary greatly depending on where the work is being done in addition to other things. So, it would help to know where the work is being done; the manner in which the paint is to be applied; how many coats are to be applied and the type of siding that is on the outside of the dwelling.

If there are any repairs and prep to be done such as scraping, sanding, filling of holes, and priming, it would help us to help you the best here if we could also know about those things.

The price per square foot might include the cost of the materials, or it might not. I don't include the cost of the materials in the estimates that I make. But, I do figure the approximate number of gallons that might be used and insist that certain brands of products be used in order for my warranty to be good according to what I have stipulated in the Contract.

I even go so far as to drive a customer to the store where the supplies are to be purchased so that the customer can purchase them. I give them the price that I normally would get. That way, I am giving them a good deal and also insuring them that what is in the paint cans is what is going to be going on the outside or inside of their home. There are painters in the larger municipalities who will put a lesser quality paint into paint cans where the paint was more expensive and of a higher quality.

Thanks!
    smooth112 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 13, 2012, 01:23 PM
    What IS paint sqft pricing over drywall 3 coats
    terryharris7777 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 30, 2013, 01:17 PM
    Somebody reffer me to three painting and roofing contractors
    terryharris7777 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 30, 2013, 01:19 PM
    In mobile Alabama

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Exterior paint bids [ 3 Answers ]

I am starting my own business doing interior and exterior painting. In the past I have always done an hourly rate. Times have changed and the cost to complete a job is much higher than before. My question is... how do I formulate a bid for exterior/interior paint jobs? Do you use a square...

Exterior Paint Recommendation [ 4 Answers ]

Hello, All. I live in Bolingbrook and am looking for estimates on an exterior paint job. I was wondering if anyone has had any good experiences with a painter they may want to recommend. Thanks.

Can you paint a vinyl exterior of a house? [ 5 Answers ]

I was told you can't paint a vinyl exterior of a house. Is this true?

Paint exterior door [ 2 Answers ]

I have recently painted my exterior door which is a metal plate on a wooden door. Before painting, I striped the old paint, sanded, cleaned, and primed the door. I then used a brush to apply a good latex exterior paint. When the paint dried it looks like it had "water spots" all over the door. ...

Exterior Paint colour [ 1 Answers ]

We have a red brick house, the garage, front door and window trim is white. We want to paint the garage and front door a different colour can you suggest a few colours-I want the garage a different colour than the front door.

View more questions Search