Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    PalmMP3 Posts: 321, Reputation: 28

May 7, 2006, 04:02 PM
    How do I troubleshoot a light fixture that burns out bulbs too fast?
    Hello,

I've recently run into several cases where a fixture was burning out its bulbs in a matter of weeks, or even days. In one case, I was told that swapping the 60 watt bulb for a 15 watt bulb made it last significantly longer.

I'm at a loss as to how to troubleshoot these cases. Where do I start? Do I look for loose wire connections, faulty sockets, or what?

Thanks in advance,
    Moishe

May 8, 2006, 01:08 PM
    Forgot to mention: these weren't junky 99-cent store bulbs; these were brand name bulbs, like GE and Sylvania. So it's definitely not a case of low-quality bulbs burning out too quickly; there is something wrong with the fixtures - but what?
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

May 8, 2006, 02:53 PM
    Many times higher than normal voltage will shorten the life of incandescent lamps. However if you had high voltage, other lamps in the home would be burning out.

The globe of a fixture can entrap heat, causing the lamps to fail prematurely.

Sometimes the socket contacts are loose, or pitted, or a loose wire connection at the socket can cause voltage spikes at the socket to cause the lamps to burn out.

So:
    1. Measure the voltage at the fixture, should not be more than 120 volts+10%, or 126 volts. If the voltage does get close to 126 volts, then use 130 volt rated lamps.
    2. Inspect the globe to be sure it does not entrap heat. The lamp being used may be larger in watage rated for the fixture.
    3.Check all connections, including the inside of the socket, the bottom "hot" contact can get pitted, and the heat can cause the wires to loosen in the crimp connectiors. Replace the socket if necessary.
    4. Excessive vibration can cause a lamp to fail. If this fixture is subject to vibration, then will need to use "Rough Service" lamps. The filaments are supported better than standard household lamps.

Hope this helps. I have had many service calls for this problem, and the solution has been one or more of the items I mention.

Consider changing to compact flourscent lamps.

May 8, 2006, 03:41 PM
    Thank you very much. I will try those suggestions.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

80s Chev truck, brake light - tail light troubleshoot [ 1 Answers ]

Help me please. Have early 80s chev pu... Front L turn signal light comes on when brake is applied... Seen a few of these on the road... Could this be a chev problem? Or just an electrical problem? Is there an obvious answer? Thanks, David

Halogen Track Light blowing bulbs [ 1 Answers ]

I added a third light (one that had been sitting in my closet for years) to one of my tracks which immediately blew the bulbs in the other two lights. Thinking the light to be defective, or perhaps the limit on the track to be 2 not 3, I removed it and replaced the bulbs in the other two lights....

Bulbs Burning out TOO fast! [ 1 Answers ]

The light bulbs in my bathroom fixtures are burning out at an alarming rate (1 or to a wek). What might be causing this?

Hot Basement Light Fixture [ 3 Answers ]

My hubby and I recently replaced one of those standard ceramic single light bulb fixtures with a pull-chain present in old basements. I noticed that it is getting very hot when only a 40 watt bulb is in it burning. When only the TV and VCR are plugged into it, it's fine - it doesn't get hot. ...

Replace light fixture [ 2 Answers ]

I am replacing a light fixture and am confused at all the wiring here. I have two red wires connected to ea other and two black wires connected to ea other. Besides that I have two white wires that were used to connect my old fixture which had two clear plastic covered copper wires. My new light...

View more questions Search