Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    CherieH Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 3, 2006, 11:07 PM
    Removing Dark Hair Color
    I have colored my hair at home for the last year. It has gotten almost black and I want a more medium brown. My 3 inch roots are the way I want my color but I'm getting anxious about the rest of it. I have read about all kinds of home remedies... prell, dawn dish det. etc. they just don't seem to work, maybe since the color has been in my hair to long.
    I was considering Color Zap or Color Fix... Can anyone with experience give me advice as to what I might do? Should I attempt these? If so, what are the risks of it totally screwing up my hair color?
    PLEASE HELP IF YOU CAN.
    Maybe I'm not doing the prell thing right. Does anyone have detailed instructions... do you put it on dry, how long, etc.

Thank you all so much!! :D
    momincali Posts: 641, Reputation: 242

Feb 3, 2006, 11:22 PM
    I did this once. I bought powdered on scalp hair bleach, a high quality shampoo and conditioner (I bought Joico Moisturizing Treatment) and mixed per directions on the bleach packet. I added three tablespoons of shampoo and three tablespoons of conditioner. You may more than likely see it turning very interesting shades of red, then orange and eventually blondish. That's because we're removing all the dark layers first, what's left is red before it turns blonde. I also wrapped it in plastic wrap and zapped it with the hair dryer for about 20 minutes. Once my hair reached the right stage of lightness, I rinsed the bleach from the hair. I shampooed and used the moisturing treament heavily and wrapped it again in plastic wrap and left it in for a couple of hoursl. Afterwards, rinse it and color it using a toner or something mild.
    Good Luck!
    PrettyLady Posts: 2,765, Reputation: 332
    -

Feb 4, 2006, 02:35 AM
    CherieH, I've received your PM. Hair bleach will defuse all pigments from the hair, you should never use bleach if you have black hair and want it medium brown. You can use the Color Zap or Color Fix to remove the color, then you can re-color your hair with hair color that's close to your natural color. As for the Prell and Dawn, they will only fade the hair slightly. If you don't think you can do it on your own, you may want to go to the salon and have them correct the color for you.
    Katinka16 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 5, 2006, 07:36 PM
    Hello!
    Well, I basically did the same thing. I dyed my naturally dark brown hair black on Friday night. I always liked the dramatic look of black hair, but because I didn't want black hair forever, I used Clairol Natural Instincts Neutral/Midnight Black. The box said it was non-permanent and would wash out in 28 shampoos. However, once I had already applied the dye, I saw this small note on the instructions that if I dyed my hair a darker color, the dye would not wash out in 28 shampoos. Does this mean that I am stuck with black hair until it grows out? Or just that the dye will take longer than 28 shampoos?

I really don't want ridiculous roots to grow into my hair, so I'm kind of freaking out. I ordered a box of "Loreal Color Zap" online and should get that by the end of the week (fingers crossed). Has anyone used this? Will it strip all of the color out of my hair, or just the artificial color? Is it a shampoo you use once, or do you use it repeatedly until your hair gets back to the color you desire?

I would greatly appreciate any advice! I have never dyed my hair before and I am a student, so I don't have enough money to drop at a salon to fix this if terrible roots grow in!

Thanks,
    Kat
    -

Feb 6, 2006, 12:52 AM
    Katinka, black or brown hair dyes are the hardest to remove. Since you've used a black color, it will take longer to wash out of the hair. As for the Color Zap, it's designed to wash away all dyes from the hair and gets it ready for re-coloring. It comes with directions, be sure to follow the directions carefully. I understand that couldn't afford to go to the salon to have the color corrected. Therefore, I recommend that you let a friend or family member apply the color for you. But if you need help on how to color your hair you may ask your questions here and I will be glad to answer them.
    Katinka16 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 6, 2006, 02:03 PM
    Thanks for answering my question, Pretty! So will the Color Zap wash out only the dye and leave my natural color, or will it wash out all the color from my hair?

Do you think it would be better to keep the black in my hair for the next month and let it fade a bit, or will the Color Zap work better when the dye is more recent?

Thanks!
    Kat
    -

Feb 7, 2006, 12:21 AM
    Katinka, you're welcome. The Color Zap should wash out permanent and non permanent dyes from the hair, but your hair will be brassy afterward, so it's best to re-color your hair. You can wait for the color to fade, or you can use the Color Zap, the choice is yours.
    elnyg Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 7, 2006, 08:56 AM
    I recently dyed my hair with black hair dye and it came out black with really grey and nasty undertones. I used one of those mousse like products that claims to wash out in 10-12 washes. It looks terrible and I hate it. I have never dyed my hair before and I an regreting my stupid decision to do this.

Is there any way to remove it without having to re-dye my hair? I love my natural color (light brown) and I shouldn't have done it in the first place. I saw a treatment to mix some bleach in with some shampoo, but will that just damage my hair? Is there any way to get it back to normal especially since this hair dye claims to be "removable"? Should I just wait it out and wash my hair a couple to a few times a day? Please help!
    -

May 7, 2006, 11:29 PM
    Hun, your hair won't return to its original shade because the pigments in black dyes are very strong. If you use color removers or have it stripped, it will leave your hair in a very raw color state with brassy undertones. Therefore, you will need to re-color your hair. You can wait until your hair grows out, but you can also let a hairstylist do a corrective coloring on your hair.
    lois_lou Posts: 10, Reputation: 0

Jul 9, 2006, 10:55 AM
    Hey, you know if you go to the hairdressers, will they be able to dye your hair any colour no matter how dark it is?
    Beckie16 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 28, 2008, 12:41 PM
    lois_lou :

No whether or not yo go to the hairdresses having dark hair is hard to die over because the pigments of the hair dye is very strong. Having to get lighter you would have to use a color zap or get your hair stripped at the hairdresses. Getting it stripped leads to hair snapping and being very brittle and sometimes even falling out. If you really want to go lighter you are best off ither letting it fade and grow out, keep washing it with head and shoulders conditioner it makes the hair dye fade, you won't realise the difference straight away but after a few washes with it your hair will really fade wich may fade enough to dye lighter. I suggest getting the color zap or letting it fade though, you don't want your hair to go orange, green, purple, yellow you want it nice so its not worth taking the risk honestly!
    Good Look.:)
    jenn4094u Posts: 128, Reputation: 6

Jun 2, 2008, 08:35 PM
    I've Been Doing Hair For 14 Years. It Will Be Damaging To Your Hair To Do This, But If You Only Want To Lighten That Much It Can Be Done. The Key Is To Lift Only The Amount Of Pigment Out Of The Hair That You Need To. Go To The Beauty Supply Store ( Not The Drug Store Or Walmart,as You Never Know What You Sure Getting) And Get A Off The Scalp Hair Bleach And 20 Volume Developer. Mix According To Instructions And Apply Only To The Hair That Has Color On It, Not Your New Growth!! at All Costs Do Not Put It On Your New Growth As It Wil Make It Blonde Because It Is Natural Pigment. Leave Lightener On Until The Colored Hair Is A Medium Orange, Then Wash It Out And Shampoo. Then Apply A Demi Permanent (again, From The Beauty Supply Store)... choose A Color That Is Close To What You Want, But Make Sure It Has A Blue Base (blue Cancels Out Orange). Do Not Apply This To Your New Growth Either. Try To Match The Color You Have As Closely As Possible, It Will Not Be Perfect, But This Is A Start...
    jenn4094u Posts: 128, Reputation: 6

Jun 11, 2008, 09:04 PM
    I Am A Stylist And If You Email Me A Picture Of You Hair I May Be Able To Help You More... I Don't Know Anything About The Color Zap, But I Do Know That Black Is The Hardest Color To Remove And Would Feel Better Giving You Advice If I Could See What Were Dealing With... [email protected]... feel Free To Email Me
    kitsune22 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 14, 2009, 12:57 AM
    I dyed my hair black a while ago, what would be the best way to get rid of it? I heard dyeing your hair after using colour zap made your hair purple ^_^; I'd rather avoid going to a salon if possible
    Michellehair35 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 9, 2009, 08:51 AM
    Try mixing baking soda with shapoo, wet your hair, towel try it so it's damp, then cover it with a plastic cap and leave it on for as long as you can stand it, when darkening hair remember to only use demi- unless you are trying to cover grey.
    Perito Posts: 3,139, Reputation: 150
    Ultra Member

Oct 9, 2009, 09:31 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Michellehair35 View Post
    Try mixing baking soda with shampoo, wet your hair, towel try it so it's damp, then cover it with a plastic cap and leave it on for as long as you can stand it, when darkening hair remember to only use demi- unless you are trying to cover grey.
    I'd like to know why people think that baking soda is good for anything. It does nothing! Baking soda is simply sodium hydrogen carbonate (sodium bicarbonate)

It dissolves in water to form sodium ions and bicarbonate ions:

the bicarbonate ion will not react with artificial haircoloring, developed or not. It will not react with natural pigment, either. It can't oxidiize like peroxide or persulfate (hair bleach). It won't dissolve the pigments, either. All it'll do is sit there on your head and irritate your scalp.

Bicarbonate will break down when heated to form carbon dioxide -- a gas. That leavens the bread and that's why they call this baking soda.

Bicarbonate is useful in buffering solutions (Keep the solution in it from becoming very acidic or very basic) by reacting with either acid (H+) or hydroxide (OH-):

Bicarbonate has been touted for a lot of other things. It's claimed that it will absorb odors from the 'fridge. It will absorb airborne organic compounds, but it doesn't even do that very well. Arm N Hammer has hyped their product a lot but basically, it's only baking soda.

Don't waste your time.
    MsRodriguez23 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 11, 2009, 10:24 AM

Some people can't afford to go to the salon and have to end up doing it themselves...
    jwalker4 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 14, 2009, 12:03 PM
    I have been coloring my hair forever... (prematurely gray) and I was coloring my hair using Nice and Easy Natural Dark Brown... and well, it turned out black. Which was fine for a while, but now I am tired of it. This color has been on my hair for a while and I have tried Dawn dish soap, and Head and Shoulders to try and lighten it up, but no luck. I have even tried a new color to try and lighten it up, but it won't take. What are my other options since this color has been on my hair a while?
    danniellaxox Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 17, 2010, 02:51 AM
    Hi I have naturally red hair and I stupidly died it dark brown for a fancy dress party it said it came out in 28 washes this was not true as I've had this colour for 3 months now and it hasn't fadded one bit, HELP! My hair looks terrible and I have red roots its really imbaressing I can't even look in the mirror. I used to hate my natural red but now I miss it I want it back so much.
    If anyone can help me I will be so grateful, its stressing me out so much!
    Thanks
    hairmistakes Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 16, 2010, 06:32 PM
    A few weeks ago I died my naturally golden blondy hair with a permanent dark brown dye, except it didn't work and ended up looking quite orange, so the next day I put in a darker 28 washes dye in. Which I loved and looked quite nice, except now the 28 washes dye is coming out and I'm left with really orangy undertones and bloned regrowth which makes me look like I'm going greyish...

I have decided I want to go back to my natural colour, if I use l'oreal colour zap will my hair go back to its natural colour or will it be bleached and will it damage my hair?

Or should I use the colour zap and then tone it and it will return to my natural colour?

Will it all really damage my hair?
    It is worth trying to fix it myself or should I go to a hairdresses and what will they do and how much will it cost??

I'm really regretting colouring my hair!

Please help!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

HELP! Brown hair color turned my hair a dark red! [ 31 Answers ]

So my girlfriend helped me color my hair to hide a few gray hairs coming in. Its usually a light to med brown, thought I might go darker. We used Loreal excellence crème ( Medium Brown). It actuall turned my hair into almost a dark redish brown, looks like I have naturally dark red hair! HELP! ...

Prell method of removing semi-permanent color [ 8 Answers ]

Three days a go I dyed my medium, dark brown hair with a black semi-permanent dye (lasts 28 shampoos) and it turned way too black. I tried washing it out with a clarifying shampoo and the Prell method of removal (put it on my dry hair, threw cap over it and blow dried it on hot every now and then,...

How come my sump pump pit smells & the water is dark [ 2 Answers ]

I noticed that my laundry room has started to smell recently. I took the cover off my sump pump & it smells really bad, so I poured some water in it, about 4 hours latter water came out of my floor drain in my bsmt. And partially flooded my bsmt. How is that possible since the floor drain is tied...

Too dark of color [ 2 Answers ]

OK.. so on Saturday morning I dyed my hair a light/medium brown and put highlights in it. Of course my boyfriend told me the highlights look orangy.. so me being the genius that I am :D.. decided to buy DARK BROWN hair dye and dye it.. It came out SO bad.. it was streaky and diffferent colors and...

Removing dark hair color [ 5 Answers ]

hello everyone, I'm hoping someone will be able to help me cos my hairs driving me mad! I used to have bleach blond hair until last year when I died it mid brown at the hairdressers, since then I've bin getting it done regularly n now its really dark brown that also has a red color in...

View more questions Search