Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    redrock Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

May 5, 2006, 10:31 AM
    Hampton Bay ceiling fan removal
    Hi,
    We have a Hampton Bay ceiling fan in our house (installed before we moved in).
    We want to move it to another room and are having trouble dismounting it
    From it's current location. We lowered the disk that contains the two light
    Bulb sockets and see a nut on a hollow shaft with wires through it coming down
    From above. Loosening the nut is the only apparent way I see to continue
    It's dismount. The nut seems to be "stuck" on the shaft, I can not even budge
    It with a "vice grip".
    Are we on the right track for it's dismount ?
    Is the shaft somehow treated so the nut cannot be easily removed (I seem to
    Recall this with "Hunter") ?
    Any suggestions on how to remove the nut ?
    We can send pic's if needed
    ceilingfanrepair Posts: 5,733, Reputation: 109
    Uber Member

May 5, 2006, 08:36 PM
    You shouldn't need to disassemble the fan in this manner to remove it from the ceiling. Remove the blades, light fixture, and then remove the entire motor assembly from the ceiling, using the screws on the canopy near the ceiling. Here are some installation instructions, just follow them in reverse.

Ceiling fan installation - Ceiling Fans N More

May 6, 2006, 10:42 AM
    Hi again,
    Thank you for the response and mounting instructions. Attached are two
    Photo's (FR-1-750.jpg and FR-2-750.jpg).
    The first photo shows the fan with only the light globe removed and what I
    Will call(working from the ceiling down), ceiling housing, motor housing,
    Fan blades, light housing, and light fixture(mounted inside light housing).
    The second photo is looking up into the light housing with the light fixture
    Dropped down.
    It seems to me that the only way to disconnect the fan and wiring from the
    Ceiling is to drop down these housings, starting from the bottom and working
    Up. And the only way to drop down the light housing is by removal of the nut
    Shown in the second photo.
    After reading your response today, I did re-remove the fan blades and saw
    4 small machine screws through the access hole(used to remove the blades), but
    The screws seem too small to be holding up the entire fan assembly and appear
    To holding a cover on the motor.
    Near the top of the motor housing, there are 4 holes that appear to be vent
    Holes to help keep the motor cool. Could the "screws on the canopy" you
    Mention be accessed through these holes ?
    Thanks in advance
    Attached Images

Uber Member

May 6, 2006, 05:08 PM
    The canopy has a decorative ring RIGHT against the ceiling that covers the screws. Remove the ring, remove the screws, the fan will come down. You don't have to touch the motor.

May 7, 2006, 10:58 AM
    That did it! The decorative ring at the top needed a slight turn in one direction
    (the screw heads were in a slot), then the ring could be dropped down exposing the screw heads.
    Thanks so much for the help
    video Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 17, 2007, 03:54 PM
    Hi,
    We have a Hampton Bay ceiling fan in our house (installed before we moved in).
    We want to move it to another room and are having trouble dismounting it
    From it's current location. The fan hugs the ceiling.there is a cover covering electric connections. How do you remove the cover? After removing the screws to drop the cover it sits on top of the blades. Under the blades is a set of lights. Am I suppose to remove lights then remove all the fan blades and brackets holding the fan blades to remove?
    Uber Member

Mar 19, 2007, 05:06 PM
    Yes.
    cykevinwu Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 6, 2009, 06:59 AM
    I actually have a follow up question to ask...

The canopy decorative ring can not be removed. I have try it with a lot of hand torque in both directions. According to the manual it is suppose to be remove by turning right. So now, I am face with a ceiling fan stuck to the ceiling.

I remove the fan blades.

Can someone please provide me any alternative Hampton Bay ceiling fan removal method? The decorative ring is stuck.

Please help! Thank you.
    Uber Member

May 6, 2009, 02:36 PM

BREAK the decorative ring. It's plastic.
    AndyNEmmy Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 31, 2009, 07:39 AM
    Thank you so much for all your postings - I was having SO MUCH TROUBLE getting my hampton bay fan out of my ceiling! I'm going right home to break that ridiculous ring
    Uber Member

Nov 2, 2009, 10:05 PM

Let us know if that fixes it!

See, this is why we don't lock old posts.
    HeatherJoy Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 23, 2012, 07:08 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ceilingfanrepair View Post
    Let us know if that fixes it!

See, this is why we don't lock old posts.
    I'm having a similar problem with the canopy trim ring on a Hunter but it is metal and won't break. I've followed the counter clockwise technique and the push above the grooves on the ball on the trim ring technique and neither has worked. Need major help.
    beckybeth Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 24, 2012, 12:25 PM
    Pop off the ring top with a flat knife. It is deceivingly hidden, but stick something between the very top and pry away from ceiling in order to remove the decorative ring without having to break it. It is thin and fits tightly so it is hard to see.
    jasonlight Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jul 29, 2013, 01:13 AM
    Thanks guys for all the information. This site rocks. I am learning so much from the answers to these questions

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Hampton Bay fan removal - can't remove the canopy ring [ 2 Answers ]

I see lots of questions about removing the canopy ring. Most say to turn the ring counterclockwise to remove. When I do that, it only loosens slightly, but won't remove. I've tried twisting, pushing up/down, still it only loosens slightly. Any suggestions?

Ceiling texturing after popcorn removal [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, We're renovating a condo built in the 70's and have chosen to remove the popcorn ceiling. We've just about finished the removal and will be sanding, repairing, and priming. We're struggling with whether to texture the ceiling before painting or not. Looks like someone has come into the condo...

Ceiling Fan - Light kit removal [ 1 Answers ]

I have a Hampton Bay ceiling fan - model CC 52HD. It currently has a light kit attached to it and I'd like to remove it, but need the "cap" that should fit over where the light kit currently is attached. Anyone know where I can find one of these? Are they standard?

Hampton bay fan removal [ 1 Answers ]

:confused: I purchased a home with a newer model of Hampton bay fan. Of course it has no other identifer except it is white and bright brass with a light kit. It is a remote control model. The lights do not work. I want to replace the whole fan with a Hunter, except I can't for the life of me...

Hampton Bay Ceiling Fan [ 1 Answers ]

I have a Hampton Bay Ceiling fan with remote. My light went out for the first time after 3 years. I can not fiqure out how to get to the bulb to change it and no longer have the manual. The serial # is AER52WW5LKRC. It says open with an arrow but it won't come off. Any suggestions. Home Depot...

View more questions Search