Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    keltz_9210 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 24, 2008, 09:36 PM
    Under Age Dating Law
    What is the law about dating someone underage?
    Is it true that when a guy or girl is 16 she/he can date someone over the age of 18?
    ChihuahuaMomma Posts: 7,378, Reputation: 608
    Vision Expert

Jul 24, 2008, 09:40 PM
    No, they cannot. If you are 16, you are still a minor. At 18, you are now an adult. This is illegal.
    charlotte234s Posts: 1,903, Reputation: 143
    Ultra Member

Jul 25, 2008, 01:01 AM
    In some states the age of consent is 16 or 17, but that is only for 16 or 17 year olds (respectively)having sex with others at or older than people the age of consent and below 18. At 18, the rules of the game change, you can have sex with anyone 18 or older.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jul 25, 2008, 05:17 AM
    There are no "dating" laws there are laws about having sex with minors if you are a adult. The age of consent varies greatly by what nation you live in, US, Canada, and so on. And if in the US there are large differences in the state laws. Some states have 18 as age of consent, others have 16.
    kidpro Posts: 29, Reputation: 2

Oct 30, 2008, 11:01 AM
    I am in Ohio, have a 16 year old daughter that met a 19 year old second-year college student on World of Warcraft & have begun to have internet relationship. I am divorced, father lives 3 hours away, still in Ohio. The 19 year old showed up at my ex's home in July during his visitation (Surprise Visit!). My ex husband is promoting & encouraging the relationship. He drove my daughter to see this guy in Chicago during one of his weekend visitations, without my consent. Ex had an attorney write me a letter that I would be in contempt of court if I try to block his visitation. We are seeing a Psychologist. I want this relationship to end, my ex encourages it. What is the law?

Oct 30, 2008, 11:03 AM

I am in Ohio, have a 16 year old daughter that met a 19 year old second-year college student on World of Warcraft & have begun to have internet relationship. I am divorced, father lives 3 hours away, still in Ohio. The 19 year old showed up at my ex's home in July during his visitation (Surprise Visit!). My ex husband is promoting & encouraging the relationship. He drove my daughter to see this guy in Chicago during one of his weekend visitations, without my consent. Ex had an attorney write me a letter that I would be in contempt of court if I try to block his visitation. We are seeing a Psychologist. I want this relationship to end, my ex encourages it. What is the law?

Oct 30, 2008, 11:03 AM
    Vision Expert

Oct 30, 2008, 11:05 AM

If I'm not mistaking the age of consent in Ohio IS 18. Is this the only issue you have with the boy? Because there seems to be something more.

Oct 30, 2008, 06:45 PM
    My concern is for my daughter... Her Safety. That is the bottom line. I was seeking Ohio Law regarding Dating of Minors so that I could take that to our Psychology Appt. on Tuesday evening. I found a note that the guy wrote my daughter during her visit to Chicago... He wrote "I loved being wrapped up in a blanket, how warm it was & how I never wanted it to end.". WHERE was the Parent supervision (my ex & his wife) during that episode?? She is now wearing his big HS Class Ring around her neck - they state that they are IN LOVE. My ex didn't know about the ring, either. He has indicated that the guy "Matt" can visit their home & spend the night to see my daughter during his visitation. I fear it may be soon, as he has her for a long weekend over Thanksgiving & a week over the Christmas Holidays. I am afraid he will rape her or try to take it to another level. He needs to date College Girls & leave my Sophomore in HS daughter alone!
    bobloblaw Posts: 41, Reputation: 3

Nov 3, 2008, 01:59 PM

I know your looking for info on your LEGAL rights here, but... There are other ways to accomplish what you want without pushing your daughter away, which is what you're most likely doing.

Why don't you have him over for a weekend? That way, you can meet him and supervise (make SURE they sleep in separate rooms), and it shows your daughter that your 'giving him the benefit of the doubt'.

It may be illegal, but, in the end, what do you want? I think you want your daughter to be safe, and not get knocked up. The best way to do that (coming from a 27 y/o who was once a 17 y/o in a similar situation) is to restrain your feelings, support your daughter, and supervise the relationship in your home. Chances are, if this kids in college, he's ditching his HS sweetheart in the next year anyway when he find some girl on campus who isn't hundreds of miles away.

My parents had the same concerns - I ended up running away for the weekend to see my BF at college because my parents wouldn't allow it. Had they allowed it, it wouldn't have been 'taboo' and I wouldve probably find some other form of rebellion.

Good luck
    stephansgirl69 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Dec 10, 2009, 05:33 PM
    I'm a 16 year old girl with a 20 year old boy is that illegal
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Dec 10, 2009, 08:22 PM

You can date anyone you want. Having sex at 16 with a 20 year old depends on your State. Where are you?

Dec 23, 2009, 06:14 PM
    I'm in Washington

Dec 23, 2009, 06:14 PM

I'm in spokane Washington
    Vision Expert

Mar 14, 2010, 02:27 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Fon-dreth View Post
    Umm....lady you are kinda crazy. If he hasn't raped her yet there won't be any time he will. PLus if they are in love who are you to tear that from her? You need to understand that if you do this to her, she might hate you for the rest of her natural life. You don't tamper with people's feeling in a manner such as this. It's childish to even automatically assume that he will rape her.
    Name calling isn't necessary. I assume the concerned mother is worried about statutory rape, which is where an adult has sex with a minor. And I'm sorry but this woman is her mother, her legal guardian, her maker. She has EVERY right to tell her child that she can't date an adult.

Please, read the rules/FAQS and say hi in the Intro forum. We have standards here that make this site a safe and comfortable environment for ANYONE to ask ANY question.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Mar 14, 2010, 02:51 PM

I disagree - it is not up to the "child," at least not while she's under her parents roof. Until she can support herself and live on her own they get to make the rules.

Second, intentional or not I don't know why your name calling post wasn't removed and you weren't warned.

Third, I don't think there's a time frame for rape, forced or consensual. The fact that he hasn't "raped" her yet doesn't mean he won't. If you have research to the contrary, please post it.
    Vision Expert

Mar 14, 2010, 04:43 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Fon-dreth View Post
    Okay well I have looked at the laws regaurding underage dating. I mean I completely agree, with the whole situation she shouldn't be dating this guy but hey it's honestly up to the child. Secondly I didn't call her a name intentionally. To date someone over 18 you must be 3 years younger than the adult and you cannot have sex. If the guy wanted to rape her he would have. 3rd yes it is statutory rape if they "do-it" but she just has to make sure they don't. Have supervision on them. That's all. There is no reason the girl can't date the guy.
    So, what laws have you looked you saying that a child can make their own legal choices? Just please be more respectful. We are here to offer advice to people who need it. And no, this isn't up to the child, unless she's an emancipated minor. There are no "dating laws", there are laws against adults having sex with children. Of course, a parent can't watch every move their child makes
    Vision Expert

Mar 14, 2010, 04:47 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by stephansgirl69 View Post
    im in spokane washington
    Age of consent in Washington state is 16. Do your parents know/approve?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Mar 14, 2010, 05:01 PM

If you all would not cut and paste offending material, it makes it a lot easier to delete it.

I can delete his posts but now it is still showing up in your posts since you copied it, instead of merely replying to them
    Fon-dreth Posts: 2, Reputation: -1

Mar 14, 2010, 05:28 PM

Ugh. Okay here is the deal. A child can choose to date an adult as long as it is in the confines of the following restraints: Must be 3 year or less apart, and there must be no sexual action even if the child consents to it. Also you must be the age of consent. Now yes it would be statutory rape if the had sex or fellatio or something of that nature, but since he is 19, legally she is allowed to date him as she is 16. NOw yes it is up to the parent but ultimately what do you think the child is going to do? What ever she wants. Now you can pursue this further and get the 19yo from seeing your daughter, but they will most likely find each other some other way.Also the age of consent in Ohio is 16. So the child has 2 of three things on her side. Legally she has the right to date him. What happens next is up to you. I did not mean any harm in my earlier posts I was just frustrated with people lack of knowledge on the situation or at least the legality of it. I researched it and looked at it just for this lady and the stuff in this post is what I found.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

We're dating, but he posted on a dating site! [ 11 Answers ]

We've only been dating for about a month or so. The first couple of weeks, he called me every day, sometimes twice a day. Then it was less frequent. I assumed he didn't have the guts to break it off, so I stopped calling him and he wouldn't call me for a few days, but he always called. Said...

13 dating 16 [ 31 Answers ]

I'm 13 and there's a guy that I really like and I know that he really likes me to, and I want to know if its even legal for me and him to date since he's 16, I'm allot more mature then most girls my age and I actually think logically, but if its illegal then that won't even matter right?

18 and 16 dating [ 5 Answers ]

OK am 16 wanting to date an 18 year old is it aloud

Dating [ 3 Answers ]

I want a boyfriend and I have my eye on a boy but he won't notice me! I tried to make eye contact but he looks at me then he looks away veri quickly and I like him a lot! Help me!:(

From dating to friends to dating? [ 3 Answers ]

Here's my problem. I met this guy about 9 months ago. After only going out a couple of times we started dating. It only lasted for about a month and he ended it saying he didn't think we had enough in common. Since then we have become best friends and spend a lot of time together. But we are...

View more questions Search