Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Jul 22, 2008, 01:51 PM
    WHY does Obama say uh so much
    Obama Says "Uhh" 144 Times in Eleven Minutes during Press Conference - Video Link 6/16/08

His past uh, uh, um, uh's were nothing compared to lately.

... and to think how Bush was criticized for not being a good speaker!

Anyway I was listening to the radio today and they said he said uh um's for 7 1/2 minutes straight today. Which speech and where was that? I am assuming today in the mideast?
    ChihuahuaMomma Posts: 7,378, Reputation: 608
    Vision Expert

Jul 22, 2008, 03:24 PM
    He was pausing to think instead of just reading off a card what someone wrote for him to read.
    speechlesstx Posts: 1,111, Reputation: 284
    Ultra Member

Jul 22, 2008, 03:37 PM
    That's the noise he makes every time Michelle pulls his string.

Skell Posts: 1,863, Reputation: 514
    Ultra Member

Jul 22, 2008, 04:00 PM
    Uh, I'm not sure exactly why!! Uh, perhaps he feels he needs to uh, bring himself down to the level of the average person who can't spell or speak correctly. Uh, why do you think he says uh um so much?

This is pathetic and stupid. Uh um!!
    Vision Expert

Jul 22, 2008, 04:04 PM
    I agree. I guess the only reason people find this worth even mentioning is the fact that he's an intelligent speaker, person, and will make a good leader.
    BABRAM Posts: 561, Reputation: 145

Jul 22, 2008, 04:14 PM
    I've given rather lengthy talks in front of the public and sometimes when communicating you think of pertinent information you should share. Think of "uh" as the equivalent improper conjunction to "and." Saph, have you given two or three long speeches everyday concerning on a variety of national interests? It's not easy. Unlike McCain, who has problems pronouncing two syllable words on cue cards days in advance, Obama has the communications skills of one Ronald Reagan. That's certainly something our country has been sorely lacking for a long time.
    Vision Expert

Jul 22, 2008, 04:16 PM
    I wish we could give greenies in this section, cause you deserve one. I couldn't possibly agree more.
    SkyGem Posts: 177, Reputation: 18

Jul 22, 2008, 04:17 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by N0help4u
    Obama Says "Uhh" 144 Times in Eleven Minutes during Press Conference - Video Link 6/16/08

His past uh, uh, um, uh's were nothing compared to lately.

...and to think how Bush was criticized for not being a good speaker!

Anyway I was listening to the radio today and they said he said uh um's for 7 1/2 minutes straight today. Which speech and where was that? I am assuming today in the mideast?
    Afraid of flip-flopping yet again? Well, you have to remember that he might be scoping out the audience to see which way the wind is blowing that day in order to see how he will answer and just before he decides to say something, he may see someone whom his thoughts could possibly offend so he has to be always thinking about how to re-phrase, re-phrase, and yet re-phrase what he is going to say. But if he actually knew the answers to those questions, as someone who is truly presidential would, he would not be having such a hard time with all those problems stuttering. Wow, with all those uh and ums, by now I think his anemometer is on it's last leg!

Just Say No Deal

Hillary Grassroots Campaign

And for ALL Obamanots:

Nobama Network - Dedicated to Unity Democrats, Republicans, Independents Election 2008

Welcome to WriteHillaryIn.com
    Ultra Member

Jul 22, 2008, 04:18 PM
    I don't about anyone else but after 8 years of people endlessly abusing Bush about tripping over his tongue, I find it amusing that people get upset at the slightest questioning of Obama's status as an intelligent/gifted/eloquent silver tongued master of communication when he utterly falls apart without his teleprompter and script. ;)
    Ultra Member

Jul 22, 2008, 04:20 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by BABRAM
    I've given rather lengthy talks in front of the public and sometimes communicating you think of pertinent information you should share. Think of "uh" as the equivalent improper conjunction to "and." Saph, have you given two or three long speeches everyday concerning on a variety of national interests? It's not easy. Unlike McCain, who has problems pronouncing two syllable words on cue cards days in advance, Obama has the communications skills of one Ronald Reagan. That's certainly something our country has been sorely lacking for a long time.
    At least Ronnie could improvise. He also had much thicker skin and a sense of humor :D
    gneiss Posts: 41, Reputation: 2

Jul 22, 2008, 04:20 PM
    People do need to think before they speak. Maybe that is his way of thinking before speaking. There is nothing wrong with that. He still human.
    Skell Posts: 1,863, Reputation: 514
    Ultra Member

Jul 22, 2008, 04:21 PM
    Sky,

You are one of those halfwits I was talking about that he is probably trying to help understand by saying "uh um" all the time.

Jul 22, 2008, 04:22 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by speechlesstx
    I don't about anyone else but after 8 years of people endlessly abusing Bush about tripping over his tongue, I find it amusing that people get upset at the slightest questioning of Obama's status as an intelligent/gifted/eloquent silver tongued master of communication when he utterly falls apart without his teleprompter and script. ;)
    Speech, I think you've just hit the nail on the head! :D

http://justsaynodeal.com/

And for ALL Obamanots:

Nobama Network - Dedicated to Unity Democrats, Republicans, Independents Election 2008

Jul 22, 2008, 04:33 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Skell
    Sky,

You are one of those halfwits i was talking about that he is probably trying to help understand by saying "uh um" all the time.
    Wow Skell, well Thank You! That I could be that Powerful as to cause Obama to literally lose control of his memory as well as his speech (and who knows what else ;)) while in my presence! That's great! And I'm sure he would too! Thanks again and remember only a "halfwit" can fully know and respond to a dimwit! :D

http://justsaynodeal.com/

And for ALL Obamanots:

Jul 22, 2008, 04:34 PM
    ChihuahuaMomma,

Sky hasn't given a speech since Wal-Mart ran out of white pillow cases. Her speeches require props such as lighter fluid and makeshift wooden crosses. She's just an old bitter uneducated hot headed McCain plant fronting Hillary for an excuse and she's just here to flame, nothing more.

Jul 22, 2008, 04:36 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by speechlesstx
    At least Ronnie could improvise. He also had much thicker skin and a sense of humor :D

Ronnie "Bed time with Bonzo" Reagan didn't have Obama's vocabulary. It's basically a wash. But to correct your misgiving about Ronald Reagan he used "uh" a lot also. ;)

This is from George W. Bush's Eulogy for Ronald Reagan:

"Ronald Reagan understood paradoxicals. . . uh, paraducks. . . uh, paradorks. . . Stuff that doesn't seem to make sense. Like how we used trade sanctions to starve the commies in Nicaragua into respecting human rights while opening trade with apartheid South Africa so we could gorge them into submission. Or how the president always campaigned for a Balanced Budget Amendment, but submitted the most out-of-balance budgets in history. In effect he was saying, "There ought to be a law against what I'm doing!" Like I said, mysterious ways."
    Galveston1 Posts: 362, Reputation: 53

Jul 22, 2008, 04:47 PM
    What makes anyone think that just because a man can speak eloquently that makes him a good leader? ALL of the TV evangelists are excellent speakers, but I bet most of you don't think much of THEM as leaders.Get real!!
    Vision Expert

Jul 22, 2008, 04:48 PM
    I don't see where anyone said that he's a good leader BECAUSE he's a good speaker.

Jul 22, 2008, 04:50 PM
    ChihuahuaMomma,

You can sure tell who gets ALL the attention whenever I post... I DO! The one they frequently like to target due to their fear of my bringing forth the way things are and then speaking about it! I wonder if No Savvy Babbie knows anything other than Let's Not Dare Talk About Obama but about SKYGEM instead, and hope the fools forget about Obama's shortcomings! :p Not to worry, however, 'cause you know his posts always prompt me to just bring up even more things about his guy to utterly please him to no end! How 'bout that! Stay tuned for further mysteries! :D

Just Say No Deal

And for ALL Obamanots:

Jul 22, 2008, 05:03 PM
    I just like pushing Sky's troll buttons. She's been knocked down for the count so many times with Obama facts the she spends as much time on her back as the red light district girls on Lincoln Blvd. ;)

To correct yet another misgiving about Ronald Reagan, he used "uh" a lot.

This is from George W. Bush's Eulogy for Ronald Reagan:

"Ronald Reagan understood paradoxicals. . . uh, paraducks. . . uh, paradorks. . . Stuff that doesn't seem to make sense. Like how we used trade sanctions to starve the commies in Nicaragua into respecting human rights while opening trade with apartheid South Africa so we could gorge them into submission. Or how the president always campaigned for a Balanced Budget Amendment, but submitted the most out-of-balance budgets in history. In effect he was saying, "There ought to be a law against what I'm doing!" Like I said, mysterious ways."

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Obama, the Enlightened One [ 10 Answers ]

Some of you dismissed the idea of Obama as the "Secular Messiah." San Francisco Chronicle columnist Mark Morford tells us that spiritual wise ones say Obama is an enlightened being. Since I believe the Chronicle requires you to register I'm posting the entire column - it's just too good to...

Why Didn't Obama Tell Us This Before? [ 11 Answers ]

Now, this news article IS truly revealing and speaks volumes about Obama! Obamaites, here, take a good look at your superhero and read all about it! Why hadn't Obama revealed this little gem of a conversation he had with Wright, umm? Why did Wright bring it out finally at this time? What do you...

More on Obama and his shortcomings [ 12 Answers ]

People are Talking! Land of Da Free: Barack Obama: Unashamedly Exploitative and Unapologetically Wrong

About Obama - Interesting! [ 1 Answers ]

Flip-flopping along! Political Radar: Obama's Bracket: The Politics of Nope

So what has Obama done ? [ 49 Answers ]

A new bill that is co-sponsored by Barak Obama and Democrat Senators Maria Cantwell, Dianne Feinstein, Richard Lugar, Richard Durbin, Chuck Hagel and Robert Menendez will increase foreign aid by the United States to a level that the UN dictates . Sugar coating it with a name no one could object to...

View more questions Search