Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    chrispcon40 Posts: 20, Reputation: 2

Jul 21, 2008, 01:03 PM
    Max number of outlets on 1 circuit
    What is the maximum number of outlets I can have on one 15A circuit?
    donf Posts: 5,679, Reputation: 582
    Printers & Electronics Expert

Jul 21, 2008, 01:13 PM
    You need to do a little more planning than that.

You need to know the amperage used by the devices you are connecting to the branch circuit.

With lighting I believe that you multiply 15 Amps by the voltage to get at total of 1800 watts. For lighting branch circuits the number of fixtures to be used on that branch circuit cannot exceed 1800 watts. Personally, I try to stay at around 1600 watts.

For branch circuits supplying outlets I believe that the recommended number of outlets is 12 (might be 10). But again, the prime thing you want to avoid is stringing outlets together and then loading the circuit with devices that will either eat up all the amperage or generate too much wattage.

I do not believe that there are any fixed amounts, particularly with receptacles because the loads that you plug into the receptacle vary with each device.

It's time to dust off your math and be smarter then the average ampere.
    DaBaAd Posts: 271, Reputation: 36

Jul 21, 2008, 01:14 PM
    Ideally one 15A circuit to each room that would power 8 outlets or 16 lights through the room. If you don't have this luxury, then 2 rooms per 15A circuit with 4 outlets each.

Jul 21, 2008, 01:21 PM
    Would 6 outlets and 2 lights seem excessive on one 15A circuit? Keep in mind; no major appliances in any of the outlets. Maybe a small TV but nothing else.
    Quote Originally Posted by DaBaAd
    Ideally one 15A circuit to each room that would power 8 outlets or 16 lights through the room. If you don't have this luxury, then 2 rooms per 15A circuit with 4 outlets each.

Jul 21, 2008, 01:29 PM
    Given that the NEC only requires that you never exceed a 6 ft. lateral (either direction) from one receptacle to the next receptacle, you might be adding to many receptacles. However, that is not a problem, as long as you do not exceed the maximum of 15 amps and 1800 watts. You really want to make sure that heat does not damage your conductors.

Better to have to many outlets then not enough.
    DaBaAd Posts: 271, Reputation: 36

Jul 21, 2008, 01:33 PM
    I agree with Don

Jul 21, 2008, 01:34 PM
    I'm sure the inspector will let me know if its not to code. The walls are open and I can re-run anything that isn't done correctly. I'm just trying to figure this out before hand.
    Quote Originally Posted by donf
    Given that the NEC only requires that you never exceed a 6 ft. lateral (either direction) from one receptacle to the next receptacle, you might be adding to many receptacles. However, that is not a problem, as long as you do not exceed the maximum of 15 amps and 1800 watts. You really want to make sure that heat does not damage your conductors.

Better to have to many outlets then not enough.
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Jul 21, 2008, 01:34 PM
    Contrary to popular belief, there is NO restriction of quantity of outlets on a residential general purpose lighting circuit, to include ceiling lights and wall receptacles, by Code.

Check with local codes, as many inspectors invoke the non-residential code of allowing 180 VA (watts) per receptacle, and that arrives at 8-10 outlets for a 15 amp circuit, and 10-13 outlets on a 20 amp circuit, in a residence.

This does not allow for any appliances, such as air conditioners, dehumidifiers, etc. which most would require separate circuits. Here is where noting the loads are important, but not for a general circuit that would have convenience receptacles around the room for whatever, such as table lamps, TV, alarm clocks, etc.

To err on the side of caution, you can have one circuit per outlet, or you can have 40 outlets on a circuit. Both of these suggestions are ridiculous, so common sense comes into play.

6 outlets and 2 lights are fine for this circuit, still could have more if needed.

Jul 21, 2008, 01:43 PM
    TK, Thanks for stepping in.

Am I misunderstanding terms again? There is a code that requires you to place receptacles no more that 6 ft. away from each other horizontally, isn't there?

Thanks for the clarification on the calculation for the number of outlets on a branch circuit.
    stanfortyman Posts: 5,598, Reputation: 279
    Electrical & Lighting Expert

Jul 21, 2008, 02:07 PM
    TK's answer is the accurate one. All his points are valid and correct.

If an inspector tells you there is a limit, politely ask his where that is written so you can read up on it. If he cannot provide a code reference he is illegally trying to enforce his own opinions as code.
    Uber Member

Jul 21, 2008, 02:09 PM
    I have, and others have, stated this no restriction on general purpose circuits over and over. While suggesting 8 or so outlets may be sound common sense advice, which I am not arguing over, I feel it is necessary to explain what the true maximum is, and then offer suggestions from there.

Advice such as given is how rumors and old wives tales get started, and believe me, us in the trade have plenty to deal with. There is nothing like dealing with a customer that thinks they know more that us.

Everyone has a brother-in-law that has a cousin that use to know a friend that thinks he knows how to do electrical work, and now the customer is complaining about something we have done perfectly to code.

How many electricians here have been told by people, "My house had 3 wire outlets installed, so now I been upgraded to 220" ? Or "What do you mean #12 wire is no good for the dryer, it has been that way for 30 years", and on, and on...

What does the dimension have to do with anything but dictating the minimum amount of outlets in a room?

The code you refer to is 210.52 (A) (1), which states:

"Spacing-Receptacles shall be installed such that no point measured horizontally along the floor line in any wall space is no more than 6 feet from a receptacle outlet."

In other words of everyday language, this means outlets shall not be farther than 12 feet apart, as a maximum, to arrive at the minimum amount of outlets in a room or space.

This has absolutely no bearing on the total amount of outlets on a circuit. Two completely unrelated topics.
    Uber Member

Jul 21, 2008, 02:13 PM
    Stan is absolutely correct:

Quote Originally Posted by stanfortyman
    If he cannot provide a code reference he is illegally trying to enforce his own opinions as code.
    I must add thou, and Stan I believe will back me up, I have seen a poster in many inspectors office which states, and I paraphrase:

"Arguing with an inspector is like wrestling with a hog, after a while you realize the hog loves it".

The key word Stan mentions is "polite". Usually works
    Washington1 Posts: 798, Reputation: 36

Jul 21, 2008, 02:32 PM
    Advice such as given is how rumors and old wives tales get started, and believe me, us in the trade have plenty to deal with. There is nothing like dealing with a customer that thinks they know more that us.

Everyone has a brother-in-law that has a cousin that use to know a friend that thinks he knows how to do electrical work, and now the customer is complaining about something we have done perfectly to code.
    I agree!

I must add thou, and Stan I believe will back me up, I have seen a poster in many inspectors office which states, and I paraphrase:

"Arguing with an inspector is like wrestling with a hog, after a while you realize the hog loves it".

Why argue with the inspector, when you can talk to his or her supervisor, and if this doesn't work, then you have other ways of getting them to listen. Trust me!!

Jul 21, 2008, 03:07 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by tkrussell
    The first time I saw this method in action I was surprised how well it actually worked.

I was a young buck sparky and an inspector told me on a final inspection because the switches were IN the bathroom he wanted them GFI protected. My first instinct was HUH. :confused:
    When I got back and told my boss I had to put a GFI in the hallway because the inspector wanted the bath lights protected he said "WHAT!?"
    He call the inspector and asked him just the way I described earlier. Mr. Inspector got all tongue tied and said, "Well, maybe I was mistaken".
    Never had a problem with that inspector making up rules from that time on. :cool:
    dstephens711 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 18, 2012, 06:42 PM
    You can only load the 15A circuit to 80% which is 12A. 12A x 120V = 1440 watts maximum on 15A circuit.

20A circuit is 1920 watts

Apr 18, 2012, 06:45 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by dstephens711 View Post
    You can only load the 15A circuit to 80% which is 12A. 12A x 120V = 1440 watts maximum on 15A circuit.

20A circuit is 1920 watts
    Not true for most instances.
    The 80% limit on all circuits is an old electrician's tale.

What code section would you use to back up what you are saying?

Also, please note the dates of the posts you are replying to.
    Uber Member

Apr 19, 2012, 08:06 AM
    Not only is the answer late, it is incorrect, and irrelevant to the original question.

Looks like three strikes to me.
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Apr 19, 2012, 10:17 PM
    Donf. Depends on wall length and placement but 12 ft.is usually encountered. That way you are never more then 6 ft with a lamp cord since most of them are 6ft long. Personally I like no more than 8ft. Apart.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Number of Outlets on circuit [ 6 Answers ]

How many 20 amp outlets can be put on one 20 amp/ 12AWG circuit? I live in the state of Missouri. Thanks

How many outlets can you put on a 15 amp circuit? [ 3 Answers ]

How many outlets can you put on a 15 amp circuit? I am doing some wiring in a new garage I just built onto my house. The electrician I used never came back to finish the job and stop returning my calls. I am pretty sure I can finish it myself but I am having trouble. According to the plans all...

Number of outlets and lights on one residential circuit [ 6 Answers ]

I live in a town home with unfinished basement. As part of finishing my basement I am now wiring the family room. The room is almost 18' x 14' and there is one 15A dedicated circuit meant for this room. I am thinking of the following outlets to be in that circuit. 1 GFCI 9 regular receptacles...

How many outlets for one circuit [ 1 Answers ]

I am inclosing my garage and making it into a entertainment room. It has two outlets know one of them is for the garage door opener. The lights are on another circuit. I the cicuit will be running a big screen plasma TV and stereo as well as some table lights. I have bought 2/12 romex and was...

Number of outlets per braker [ 4 Answers ]

Is there a rule of thumb as to the number of outlets on a 20 amp circuit. How about a 15 amp. I do understand that 20 amp will carry about 2400 watts and 15amp will carry about 1800 but all of the outlets will not be used at the same time. This is for a residential room expansion with limited...

View more questions Search