Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tamieko2 Posts: 62, Reputation: 0

Jul 18, 2008, 05:14 PM
    Harassing neighbor threatening us?
    Of first of all our neighbor lives 2 doors down from us, they have lived here for 2 yrs. When they moved in I became friends w/ his wife, our kids played together, they became best friends, the husband is frequently out of town for weeks at a time on bussines, until recently past few months he has been home. I know for a fact he abuses his wife, she tried to leave so many times with no luck but that is another story, anyway, we have had run ins with this jerk 3 times now, first time we had a car that was not completely paid off yet and not running sitting in our garage we bought from a friend he went behind our backs and paid the man double what he offered it to us and ordered us to give him the car so shocked he did this we had to let it go all the while he is being an to us. The second time, my husband is out mowing the lawn, their son runs by on his bike and my husband almost hit him w/ the mower the wife comes up and my husband tells her to watch out for her son because he almost hit him w/ the mower, she goes and tells her husband that he cussed out her kid and forbid him from being on the side walk! The husband comes down gets nose to nose w/ my husband cursing him out and threatening him and my husband just says "hey i don't know what she told you but that is not what happened" needless to say I did not speak to her for a while because it seems every time they are together there is trouble like she morphs into his drone?
    Next time was just yesterday apparently someone called the police on him and as my husband was leaving for work here he comes again accusing him of calling! My husband kept his cool, did not respond until I came back from my morning walk and heard the man yelling from 2 blocks away! I came up and orderd him off our property he said he was going to kick my fat too, and I could not contain my fury any longer, I told him off and he threatened to kick my husbands at work and anyone else who tried to stop him, he is crazy, so I went to the police and filed harassment charges against him, he says the cops can't do anything to him he'll kick there asses too, he has pulled a gun on his own wife and tried to run her over w/ the car, he said he was going to do the same to my husband if he catches him alone. My husband is a little scared, I am not I grew up with an alcoholic abusive father, this man is nothing to me but I am worried he may do something to my husband before the cops can stop him. Is there anything else I can do legally? We are going to buy a taser gun and pepper spray.:confused:
    NowWhat Posts: 1,634, Reputation: 264
    Ultra Member

Jul 18, 2008, 05:31 PM
    You could always file a restraining order. And then there is the option of moving.

Until he actually hits your husband, I don't know what else you can do.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jul 18, 2008, 05:56 PM
    I would make it a 9mm myself but not much you can do, a crazy person can always hurt someone before anyone can stop them if they really want to.

Jul 18, 2008, 06:45 PM
    Well first of all I am not moving because I was here first and we own our home paid in cash no mortgage. Second I have a car alarm on one of my cars and a house alarm so those are covered but he is always so careful to only do this on the sidewalk which is unfortunately public which he so poiniently pointed out to us which is funny because we paid 800.00 to get it poured but whatever right? He already said a restraining order would not help us because he said no piece of paper will stop him which is why his wife never got one, I will get one anyway which is my next step but isn't there some kind of stalking law or something? I am a little fearful of what he may do to my dog, cars, and husband. On the up side he is selling his house so I just hope someone buys it soon but in this market I won't hold my breath. By the way are stun guns still legal?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jul 18, 2008, 06:48 PM
    You should get a restraining order anyway, it gives you a "paper" trail of the problem and gives the police the right to do more if there is even minor issues in the futture.
    His wife did not get one because she is a abused wife and they seldom do

Depends on the state, in many you still have to have a weapons carry permit, you can check attorney generals office or your local sheriff office
    NowWhat Posts: 1,634, Reputation: 264
    Ultra Member

Jul 19, 2008, 04:59 AM
    I don't blame you for not wanting to move.

I would stop listening to what he is saying. Your property ends at the street. As long as the sidewalk isn't in the middle of the street, it's your property.

Just be proactive in your actions. Don't leave your dog unattended and make sure your husband is always aware of his surroundings.
    As far as the car, it can be replaced. If you have a garage, park it inside. Leave the car with the alarm out.

Get the restraining order or file a complaint, do whatever you have to do to make sure that the authorities know what is going on.
    froggy7 Posts: 1,801, Reputation: 242
    Ultra Member

Jul 19, 2008, 07:49 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by NowWhat
    I don't blame you for not wanting to move.

I would stop listening to what he is saying. Your property ends at the street. As long as the sidewalk isn't in the middle of the street, it's your property.
    This is generally wrong. Most yards have an easement in the front, where the sidewalk is (or would be, if there isn't one there already). Sidewalks are there to be walked on by the public, so there isn't really anything you can do about someone who wants to stand on it and harass you. Now, if you get a restraining order against the person, that may then be grounds for the police to remove the person if they are on the sidewalk and its covered by the order.
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Jul 19, 2008, 11:05 AM
    Just so you can weigh the pros and cons of a restraining order - if you DO get a restraining order against this individual it just might cause him to completely lose it and go beserk. I have personally had to get a restraining order against my across the street neighbor as he tried to run me over with his car in my own driveway, try and run me off the road in my car with his car, yell and scream at my elderly mother trying to make her have a heart attack (she had serious health problems), try and knock my mother down with his bicycle while she was walking down the street with a cane, etc. Oh, it was great once I had the restraining order all right. It made matters even worse. He went beserk and stood on his driveway and yelled wonderful things like he was going to burn down my house with me in it amongst other cute dittys. Called the police. They told me that yes, he could say and do anything he want to say and do... as long as he did NOT physically attack me or my family. Yup. Threats were not enough they insisted. Fast forward to one year later when the restraining order would be up. The entire year was fraught with his FRIENDS doing his dirty work for him against my family. Windows broken, house BB gunned up with holes, etc. He got an attorney to have the restraining order lifted. Then it was back to hell week all over again. Bottom line was that the restraining order did no good actually except waste a lot of money to obtain and waste a lot of people's time coming to my home and him not getting arrested. I didn't want him arrested, I just wanted his harassment and threats of bodily harm to cease. Sadly, that did not happen as HE would sometimes call the police on me and lie through his teeth that I was threatening him, or worse yet, he kept calling children's services with horrible allegations of my husband beating my son in the front yard. It was a nightmare to be honest with you that still bothers me today some 12 years after this problem. Just thinking about it upsets me now.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jul 19, 2008, 02:06 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by tamieko2
    well first of all i am not moving because i was here first and we own our home paid in cash no mortgage. second i have a car alarm on one of my cars and a house alarm so those are covered but he is always so careful to only do this on the sidewalk which is unfortunatly public which he so poiniently pointed out to us which is funny because we paid 800.00 to get it poured but whatever right? he already said a restraining order would not help us because he said no piece of paper will stop him which is why his wife never got one, i will get one anyway which is my next step but isn't there some kinda stalking law or something? i am a little fearful of what he may do to my dog, cars, and husband. on the up side he is selling his house so i just hope someone buys it soon but in this market i won't hold my breath. by the way are stun guns still legal?

I am concerned about your having a gun and/or stun gun in view of your previous postings, bouts of depression, problems in your marriage. Have you tried an arbitrator, Doctor, social worker for help with your problems, including this problem with your neighbor? I think there are other issues at play which are not necessarily part of this post.

I also thought someone bought the house for your husband and he was demanding or going to demand that you move out.

Once somebody has any type of firearm - licensed or unlicensed - these things can get very ugly very quickly - particularly when there are underlying problems.

I would go to the Police OR get an Attorney - very well could make it worse but no worse than you having a firearm or other means of protection.
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Jul 19, 2008, 02:50 PM
    You also can get a camcorder put in front of your house (like the inside window) and video your property and the street.
    When he harasses you and you have it on film and that should help you some.

Jul 28, 2008, 03:34 PM
    [QUOTE=JudyKayTee]I am concerned about your having a gun and/or stun gun in view of your previous postings, bouts of depression, problems in your marriage. Have you tried an arbitrator, Doctor, social worker for help with your problems, including this problem with your neighbor? I think there are other issues at play which are not necessarily part of this post.

I also thought someone bought the house for your husband and he was demanding or going to demand that you move out.

Once somebody has any type of firearm - licensed or unlicensed - these things can get very ugly very quickly - particularly when there are underlying problems.

Thank you for your concerns but my previous posts have nothing to do with this issue at hand and I was talking about a stun gun not a real gun and I found out they are legal in my state and don't need to be licenced, I do not believe in real guns, I have kids.
    In response to everyone I did file harassment charges on him, problem is that it has opened a whole new can of worms, we received a summons in the mail about the issue but all the charges I filed on him were reversed and the state is filing them against my husband even though he did nothing, I was the one telling this man to get off our property and leave us alone, I jumped in because my husband stood there letting him yell at him and it mad me furious so I stepped in and handled it and went to the police on my own, the cop screwed everything up and instead of putting charges against the real crazy, he put them on someone who did nothing at all! So now I have to go get the police reports and show to the judge on wed. July 30th to stop them from pressing disorderly conduct charges on my husband, that's what they charged him with how is that even possible unless the cop is #1 inept at his job or # 2 in the neighbors pocket? The neighbor took off again on a business trip for 45 days so we are left with this mess he started? Help :confused:
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Jul 28, 2008, 03:42 PM
    Time to get a lawyer to help you clear this up and give you some advice.

Good luck.
    Uber Member

Jul 28, 2008, 03:52 PM
    [QUOTE=tamieko2 Thank you for your concerns but my previous posts have nothing to do with this issue at hand and i was talking about a stun gun not a real gun and i found out they are legal in my state and dont need to be licenced, i do not believe in real guns, i have kids. [/QUOTE]

I'm sorry but this is a legal board and yes, your other conflicting posts go to your credibility. People spend time and energy answering questions and then find that they didn't have the whole picture. I did address a stun gun in general; I did not address the legality of the stun gun. I addressed you having a stun gun at all.

Everyone in Ohio cannot legally have a stun gun - there are certain exceptions and qualifications.

Otherwise - in this instance - I also recommend that you consult with an Attorney.

Jul 28, 2008, 04:07 PM
    Yes I agree I need an attorney however, my mental state is not in question here nor is my marriage, I have had different problems at different times which I needed advice for and I got it, that does not mean anything and those problems are not even related to this. And by the way stun guns are legal to pretty much anyone in Ohio there are no restrictions, the restrictions are on tasers not stun guns and who cares anyway I am more worried right now that my husband is being charged with something he did not do. But thanks for the judgement.
    Uber Member

Jul 28, 2008, 04:13 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by tamieko2
    Yes i agree i need an attorney however, my mental state is not in question here nor is my marriage, i have had different problems at different times which i needed advice for and i got it, that does not mean anything and those problems are not even related to this. and by the way stun guns are legal to pretty much anyone in ohio there are no restrictions, the restrictions are on tasers not stun guns and who cares anyway i am more worried right now that my husband is being charged with something he did not do. But thanks for the judgement.

Again, goes to credibility.

This may be of interest to you:

Ohio - Any stun gun in public requires the user to have a concealed weapons permit. By literal translation this includes even "snowballs" and "Stunning Devices"

NOTE: Stunning Devices can be used however, in your place of business or at home.
    Absolutely no sales to minors under 18 years of age or any person who falls in one of the following categories: convicted of a crime punishable by imprisonment for any terms; fugitive from Justice (requires interstate flight to avoid prosecution or testimony in a criminal case); drug users or addicts (may be shown by recent conviction for use, recent possession of drugs, or recent arrest for use of drugs, or positive drug tests); aliens illegally or unlawfully within the US or those lawfully admitted in non-immigrant status (i.e. aliens without permanent residence status); mental defectives or persons committed to a mental institution; formally renounced US citizenship; dishonorably discharged from the military; subject to a court order prohibiting harassing, stalking, or threatening of an intimate partner or child of an intimate partner or placing such persons in reasonable fear of bodily injury; and convicted of a misdemeanor crime of domestic violence.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What can I do to stop my neighbor from harassing us? [ 6 Answers ]

Hello everyone! I am a new member and I hope someone can help me with my problem! I live in the South Bay, part of Los Angeles County. I have a "neighbor" (and I use that term loosely) who has been harassing us every since we moved in 3 years ago. She has turned it into a battle over...

Harassing Neighbor [ 8 Answers ]

I have a friend named Mae and Jasper who live in Capitol Heights, MD. They have a neighbor who lives next door to them who has been calling the police, ambulance, fire department or whoever on them for the past 18 months. They have been down to the courts but no one is helping them. The court...

Roommate harassing and threatening [ 5 Answers ]

To Whom It May Concern: My roommate literally takes up 90% of the household (two-bedroom house). He verbally harasses me and my boyfriend for any and everything. He has tried to bully me and my boyfriend. He will not allow us to place anything in the house other than what he wants to place about...

Harassing Neighbor [ 12 Answers ]

We moved into our house 7 months ago and our neighbor has called several times to complain about various things. The latest phone call was in regards to my husband smoking a brisket for MY birthday party! She claims that the smoke hovers in her back yard and she and her husband are not able to...

Neighbor boy harassing my daughter [ 7 Answers ]

My neighbor is 15 years old, and his mouth is atrocious. He calls my 12 year old daughter the filthiest names, which embarrass her, since he does this when she is with her girlfriends. His parents make him apologize, but then it happens again and again. This has been going on for 4 years. Since...

View more questions Search