Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    branjo227 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 14, 2008, 05:34 PM
    Revoking a father's parental rights
    When my daugther was born, her father was around for the first 3 months or so. She is now 9 months old. Although he only lives 10 minutes away, he never comes by to see her. He also never even calls to check on her. I have called in a few times in the past, and he always gives me the same answer of "I'm too busy to call." Apparently this man, who can't keep a job, can find better ways to pass his time other than checking on his daughter. He is on the birth certificate, and there are no custody/child support orders in place. Is there any way that I can get his parental rights taken away? As of now, if he so desired, he could go to the daycare that my daughter attends and take her with no questions asked. I need a legal document stating that I have sole custody of her. I live in Texas.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jul 14, 2008, 05:37 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by branjo227
    When my daugther was born, her father was around for the first 3 months or so. She is now 9 months old. Although he only lives 10 minutes away, he never comes by to see her. He also never even calls to check on her. I have called in a few times in the past, and he always gives me the same answer of "I'm too busy to call." Apparently this man, who can't keep a job, can find better ways to pass his time other than checking on his daughter. He is on the birth certificate, and there are no custody/child support orders in place. Is there any way that I can get his parental rights taken away? As of now, if he so desired, he could go to the daycare that my daughter attends and take her with no questions asked. I need a legal document stating that I have sole custody of her. I live in Texas.

A legal document stating you have custody and stripping him of his parental rights are two different things.

Go to your local Family Court and file for custody and support. I don't see grounds for stripping him of his rights. You will probably get an order that you have physical custody of her. He may get some Court-ordered visitation but it doesn't sound like he'll use it.

He has not legally abandoned her - most people ask that next.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jul 14, 2008, 05:51 PM
    Yes in most states just not visiting your daughter and not paying child support ( although there is not even support asked for at this point) is no grounds to take away any rights.

But Judy is correct, you need a custody order in place, giving him specific visit rights if he asks for them and a order of child support.
    GidgetJ Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 17, 2008, 03:30 PM
    I want to terminate fathers rights on my own, I am unable to afford an attorney.
    I am wanting to terminate my children's fathers rights - I have researched the guidelines and I believe I fit the criteria. There has been NO in person contact since 2/2001, incidental contact by letter while he was in prison last received in 2/2004, little under $400.00 child support since 10/1998, while their father was out of prison there was no attempt to contact. He is a very dangerous man, his criminal record reflects that, including but not limited to Assault and Battery to a minor child. His record spans from Washington St. to Wyo. Which is where we reside. Last I knew he is in prison yet again. My Question is where can I find the legal forms that I can use as EXAMPLE to start proceeding on my own, as I CANNOT afford to hire an attorney, and do not foresee being able to anytime soon. I fear of this man, for my children and myself. I hope you can help me in the steps I need to take to make this legal, acceptable and successful. Thank you.
    Expert

Jul 17, 2008, 03:35 PM
    What state are you in
    Uber Member

Jul 17, 2008, 04:57 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by GidgetJ
    I am wanting to take my childrens rights away - No contact in person since 2-2001, Little or no child support since order, when not in prison no attemp to contact, incidental contact while non castodial parent (father) was incarcerated by way of letter. He is a dangerous man, with quite a record including but not only Assult and Battery on a minor child. I have researched the guidelines and I know I do fit the criteria. I CANNOT afford to higher a lawyer, so I am in search of a way to start termination on my own. I want to attempt to do it in a manor that is legal, exceptable and as prefessional as possible! I hope you can help me find away to succeed in my journey. Thank you

When you piggyback a question no one sees it - should be on its own.

What State are you in because I am not familiar with what you are quoting here. You are trying to take your children's rights away or their father's rights away?

I also don't understand the phrase, "Including but not only assault and battery on a minor child." The charges DO include assault or do NOT include assault? It will enter into how your question is answered.

I'm afraid we need more info - there is also a ton of information on this site by State if you do a search.
    Uber Member

Jul 17, 2008, 04:59 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by GidgetJ
    I am wanting to terminate my children's fathers rights - I have researched the guidelines and I believe I fit the criteria. There has been NO in person contact since 2/2001, incidental contact by letter while he was in prison last received in 2/2004, little under $400.00 child support since 10/1998, while their father was out of prison there was no attempt to contact. He is a very dangerous man, his criminal record reflects that, including but not limited to Assault and Battery to a minor child. His record spans from Washington St. to Wyo. which is where we reside. Last I knew he is in prison yet again. My Question is where can I find the legal forms that I can use as EXAMPLE to start proceeding on my own, as I CANNOT afford to hire an attorney, and do not foresee being able to anytime soon. I fear of this man, for my children and myself. I hope you can help me in the steps I need to take to make this legal, acceptable and successful. Thank you.

Please post your question just once - you have posted more or less the same info twice.
    Expert

Jul 17, 2008, 05:08 PM
    Two posts merged, a third was deleted
    lynda422852 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 30, 2009, 08:24 AM

I live in New york and have a 7 year old son I am currently trying to find out how I can petition for my son's fathers parental rights to be revoked and also to change my sons last name...
    Uber Member

Dec 30, 2009, 09:41 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by lynda422852 View Post
    I live in New york and have a 7 year old son I am currently trying to find out how i can petition for my son's fathers parental rights to be revoked and also to change my sons last name.....
    Please use the "search" feature - this has been asked and answered a thousand times.

You CANNOT revoke a father's rights in NY.
    Mildred14 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 20, 2011, 12:55 PM
    My name is shy I'm from California and the father to my four year old son has soul and legal custody we are going to court until next month the judge issued a temporary visitation order stating the father gets my son four days a week and I get him three.when it is his time to pick up my son jesus he is already yelling at him and cuusing him out in spanish if my son as questions as children do at that age.ive witnessed him hit his son on the head with his hand for talking,we are separated.my concern is that when the father picks up our son he drops him off at his ex momm to his other children.when that is an unsafe environment due to her drug addiction
    Uber Member

Feb 20, 2011, 01:35 PM

When you go to Court next month PROVE that the father is unfit and regain custody.

How did the father get sole custody?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How Do I get my son's biological father's parental rights relinquished [ 6 Answers ]

I live in Washington State and am seeking information on ending the parental rights of my son's biological Father. My son is 14 years old and has had no contact with his B.F. for 10 years. His Father is not required nor can be required to pay child support due to a type of Social security he is...

Terminating Father's Parental Rights [ 2 Answers ]

I am the mother of an 8-year-old living in Florida. My son's biological father has made no attempts to contact me or my son for the past 6 years. The father's name is on the birth certificate, and there is no order for child support. I am currently engaged to be married and my fiancé wants to adopt...

Terminating father's parental rights [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, this is my first post here. I'm looking for info on terminating parental rights. My husband of 8 years would like to adopt my 10 yo son. His bio father has not seen or been in contact with him since he was 6 months. He has never paid support. I was going to work with a lawyer because my...

A Father's Parental Rights [ 1 Answers ]

My husband was incarcerated 7 years being released in March of 2006 to a half-way house then released home in March of 2007. During his incarceration in 2003 he petitioned a visitation/communication order. It was received by the court but the outcome is unknown to him and he did not follow up. He...

Relinquishing of Father's Parental Rights [ 8 Answers ]

Hello Everyone. My name is Catherine. I live in Chesapeake, Virginia. I need to know what I need to do do get my daughter's father's rights terminated. He's already signed a paper stating he is willingly terminating his rights and got it notarized. I know I went to some site and it said if the...

View more questions Search