Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sadieskeeper Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 24, 2006, 07:23 PM
    How can I level my above ground pool?
    Hi! I bought a pool last year, I think its about 14', its not one of those super nice ones with the deck attached or anything, just one of those 400 dollar ones from wal*mart... but I could never get it to stay up.. I think it was just not level enough last year, it would stay up fine for a couple of days and then the side would come down and the water would drain... I finally gave up and wish to re-attempt it this year... (wish me luck) I want to do it right this time and am completely lost as to how to level the ground the right way (myself, if I can) and be able to swim all summer long... I am lucky in the sense I have no rocks to worry about, maybe only a few roots...
    Any helpful tips hints or anything else would be great, and greatly appreciated... thanks for your time...
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Apr 25, 2006, 06:37 AM
    First, I would stake out a 15-16' square. Then, use a metal rake to loosen the top layer of soil within the square. You can rent a roller which is basically a large drum on a handle. You fill this with water and then roll it along the ground to tamp and level. Finally I would add a layer of sand, about 1".

You might also go into a local pool store and see if you can pick their brains. You can get the sand from them.
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Apr 25, 2006, 06:53 AM
    Hi,
    As an owner of a 15ftx30ft above ground pool, and did the installation myself, I can suggest something here.
    Do you have any friends who are Engineers? I use a tripod, called a Level, with Rod (called a Level Rod).
    Setting up the tripod was easy, then sighting through the tripod, took readings on the Level rod held by my wife. Every "station" of readings had to be within 1/4 inch.!
    The pool installation manuals said not to have more than 1/4 inch variance all around the pool base. That means the ground had to be dug up, in some places, making it more level with the remaining ground.
    I do agree with the previous answer in using sand. If you have roots above ground, they will eventually tear a hole in the water liner! Put down at least 6 iinches of sand (maybe 4 inches) all around where the liner will sit on the sand. Best of luck.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Above ground pool installation [ 5 Answers ]

Hi all, We are installing an above ground pool, we got the ground level and the day of installation it downpoured rain. Now the area where the pool is being installed is wet very very wet. We have clay in the area to top it off. We have been waiting for the ground to dry for 2 days now. The...

Above ground pool [ 5 Answers ]

I was wondering, can I keep an above ground pool up all winter with no water in it or will it collapse even though it has the braces all around it? Thank you.

Removing above ground pool [ 5 Answers ]

hello, someone please help me, my girlfriend is moving to Arizona,and she is giving me her 15x30 oval pool. The thing is,I must remove it from her home and reinstall at mine. I have the bodies to do this,my question is; what tools would I need to safely remove this pool without ruining it or not...

Removal of an above ground pool [ 3 Answers ]

I just bought a house and it has an above ground pool with a deck around it in the back yard. The pool was built in the 70's and has seen better days. I am in the process of trying to figure out who is the best person to remove it. I want to put grass in it's place. I am getting estimates at...

Above-ground pool installation [ 2 Answers ]

I have recently purchased a Muskin 18' round above ground pool from a friend; however, the instructions on the pool assembly can not be found. She didn't install the pool so she can't provide any advice on taking the pool down. I have searched the internet extensively for instructions with no...

View more questions Search