Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jbrauns Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Aug 15, 2006, 11:17 PM
    Outdoor spigot dripping handle
    Water drips from just beneath the handle on my outdoor spigot when the spigot is on. Where can I find a diagram that will tell me how to take apart, but especially how to put back together, the handle part of the spigot?
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Aug 16, 2006, 06:33 AM
    While this may not look exactly like your hose bib,(see image) the innards are the same.
    You don't have to open up the valve to repair a stem leak. Turn on the hose bib and then snug up the bonnet packing nut until the leak stops. Good luck, tom

Aug 16, 2006, 07:29 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by speedball1
    While this may not look exactly like your hose bib,(see image) the innards are the same.
    You don't have to open up the valve to repair a stem leak. Turn on the hose bib and then snug up the bonnet packing nut until the leak stops. Good luck, tom
    Thank you very much for the diagram. What is the hose bib? Is it the entire assembly? Do I need to shut off the water at the main house supply or at a cutoff before I take apart this handle? And, are you saying I can tighten the packing nut rather than replace it? Thanks very much for your help.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Aug 16, 2006, 07:50 AM
    "What is the hose bib? Is it the entire assembly?"
    Hose bib, sill cock, or outside spigot are all the same thing.

" Do I need to shut off the water at the main house supply or at a cutoff before I take apart this handle?
    You aren't going to take the spigot apart so you won't have to shut down the house water supply.

" Are you saying I can tighten the packing nut rather than replace it?"

That's exactly what I'm saying. Simply turn on the hose bib and then snug up the bonnet packing nut until the leak stops. Do not over tighten, stop when the leak stops. Good luck, Tom

Aug 16, 2006, 02:05 PM
    "What is the hose bib? Is it the entire assembly?"
    Hose bib, sill cock, or outside spigot are all the same thing.

" Do I need to shut off the water at the main house supply or at a cutoff before I take apart this handle?
    You aren't going to take the spigot apart so you won't have to shut down the house water supply.

" Are you saying I can tighten the packing nut rather than replace it?"

That's exactly what I'm saying. Simply turn on the hose bib and then snug up the bonnet packing nut until the leak stops. Do not over tighten, stop when the leak stops. Good luck, Tom
    Thank you, thank you!
    richlux Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Jul 8, 2008, 06:05 PM
    speedball1,

Hopefully you're still monitoring this topic. I have the same problem, but I need to replace the washer at the valve seat, but I can't get the valve stem out. I've loosened the bonnet nut, but the stem still doesn't want to come out. Is there a trick to getting it out? I don't want to break anything :-)

Thanks,
    Rich
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Jul 8, 2008, 07:07 PM
    After turning off the water, unscrew the bonnet nut completely, turn the handle just like you are turning on the water, after stem has come out of the threads, pull stem out.
    afaroo Posts: 4,006, Reputation: 251
    Ultra Member

Jul 8, 2008, 09:03 PM
    If you are replacing the washer at the stem then ou need to S/O the water to the house, remove the Bunnet nut and unscrew the stem counter clock wise like Harod says, you don't need to remove the handle replace the washer and the packing, good luck.

John

Jul 9, 2008, 05:05 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by afaroo
    If you are replacing the washer at the stem then ou need to S/O the water to the house, remove the Bunnet nut and unscrew the the stem counter clock wise like Harod says, you don't need to remove the handle replace the washer and the packing, good luck.

John
    Thanks. I tried to unscrew it counter clock wise yesterday, but there was so much resistance that I thought I was going to break something. I will try again tonight.

You mean that I need to shut off the water to the hose bib (which I did) and not the entire house, right :-)

Thanks again,
    Rich
    Ultra Member

Jul 9, 2008, 08:10 AM
    If your hose is bib like the one shown in post #2, posted by Tom then you need to Shut off the water to the house, loosen the bonnet nut completely and then un screw the stem till it is out of the housing, replace the washer at the end of the stem and replace the packing on the stem, reassemble the stem and the bonnet nut, Good luck.

Regards,
    John

Jul 9, 2008, 08:45 AM
    It's similar to the photo, but it looks more like this one:

Name:  hose-bib.jpg
Views: 3420
Size:  34.9 KB

But I still don't understand why I need to shut off water to the entire house.

Thanks again,
    Rich
    Ultra Member

Jul 9, 2008, 08:50 AM
    Good Job, you need to shut off the water to house because there is no S/O valve between the main S/O valve and bib and I don't want you to have a shower when you remove the stem, good Luck.

John

Jul 9, 2008, 10:16 AM
    John,

First, thanks for all the advice, I really appreciate it. Second, please forgive my ignorance, but inside my house I have a valve to shut off the water to the hose bib. If I shut this off, no water comes out of the bib even if it's wide open. Is that not a S/O valve between the Main S/O and the hose bib?

Thanks,
    Rich
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Jul 9, 2008, 10:24 AM
    Yes turn off water at that inside valve.
    Attached Images

Jul 9, 2008, 10:27 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by hkstroud
    Remove stem by unscrewing this nut
    And turning counter clockwise... Got it!

Thanks to everyone!

Rich
    Ultra Member

Jul 9, 2008, 10:51 AM
    Hi Harol,

You did good again, Thanks.

Regards,
    John
    Ultra Member

Jul 9, 2008, 10:56 AM
    Yes it is as long as the water is S/O to bib you are Ok, some house doesn't have the S/O valves between the main and the bib, now you are safe to proceed and replace the washer and the packing,Thanks.

Regards,
    John

Jul 12, 2008, 11:26 AM
    Well, I tried to remove the stem, but no matter how much I tired to turn it counter-clockwise, it would not budge. Here's a photo of my actual spigot. As you can see, I loosened the first nut, but I'm wondering if I also need to loosen the second nut.

Name:  my spigot.JPG
Views: 7754
Size:  62.1 KB

Thanks,
    Rich
    Ultra Member

Jul 12, 2008, 11:38 AM
    Yes remove the nut which you have indicated the whole stem assembly will e removed, change the seal at the end and replace the packing on the stem, if I am you I will replace the hose bib, good luck.

John
    Ultra Member

Jul 12, 2008, 11:43 AM
    And here is how the new looks like, it cheap 9 to 10 dollars, good luck.

John
    Attached Images

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Outdoor Spigot Knob / Handle [ 1 Answers ]

I'm getting ready to replace the knob on the outdoor hose spigot of my house. Not having done much plumbing, is there anything unusual I need to know? (ie: do I have to turn the screw right instead of left to loosen, or anything odd and plumbing-specific like that?) Any tips welcome.

Outside spigot [ 1 Answers ]

We have two outside spigots, one on either side of the house. The water is turned on and one works and one does not. The knob turns but no water comes out. What could be the problem?

Leaking Outdoor Shower Handle [ 1 Answers ]

I have a summer house that we close in the winter. Every year I drain the pipes, take apart all the faucets, and put antifreeze down the drains. This year everything went well except for the outdoor shower. I connected all the pipes and turned the system on and the showers faucet handle began to...

Outdoor spigot knob stuck [ 1 Answers ]

Now that spring is here, we turned back on the water supply for the outdoor spigots. Water started flowing normally out of the spigot attached to the outside of the back of our house but when we went to turn off the water (using the knob on the spigot), the knob wouldn't budge. We have tried...

Outdoor spigot handle/knob size [ 3 Answers ]

:-/ Dear Labman, My husband tried to find a replacement spigot turning knob for outdoor hose spigot coming out of house, but our house was built in 1968 and it seems we can't locate one locally that has a LONGER extension where the knob fits onto the spigot. The replacement is needed because...

View more questions Search