Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    daniel6 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 8, 2008, 07:40 AM
    Condenser fan running backwards
    I looked at a goodman model # ck42-1c, condenser. I realized that the fan is running backwards. I tried to look at the wiring, the one thing I looked for, was not available. Meaning, it is not a reversible fan motor. As far as the wiring, is there anything, in the wiring to the capacitor, that it would make it run opposite of its rotation?:confused:
    wmproop Posts: 3,749, Reputation: 91
    Ultra Member

Jul 8, 2008, 10:13 AM
    No
    wmproop Posts: 3,749, Reputation: 91
    Ultra Member

Jul 8, 2008, 10:14 AM
    Maybe the fan blade is on upside down
    daniel6 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 8, 2008, 10:53 AM
    I thought about that, I just have a hard time, figuring why someone, would mess with the blades, when they only replaced the capacitors.
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Jul 8, 2008, 12:22 PM
    Many compressor motors have 2 wires that can be swapped to allow reverse rotation. Look carefully at motor. May say something like: reverse yellow and purple to reverse rotation.
    Texardave Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 2, 2011, 12:44 PM
    I had the same thing just today. Some of the older fan motors which have only three wires coming from it, black, white and brown share a common with the capacitor. The newer capacitors have a diode in them that only allow the voltage to travel in one direction. If you recently replaced the capacitor that is your problem. If you didn't then try reversing the red/brown wires. Put the brown on as line and red on the capacitor. I did this and it solved my reversing problem. For how long remains to be seen. I plan on telling my customer that the motor is going out and should be replaced relatively soon. I contacted the manufacturer of the motor (AO Smith) and they said the same thing that I already knew.
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Sep 2, 2011, 04:21 PM
    Interesting

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

AC Condenser fan stops running [ 6 Answers ]

I have read the other posts about the condenser fan stopping. My question is that my fan will stop spinning for some reason, then we shut the unit down after awhile we will start the unit up again and it begins to spin again, but then it stops again after about 30 minutes or so. Can this just be...

Condenser fan not running [ 5 Answers ]

I have a 25 year old Carrier (Model 28GS) A/C. It has been working fine until today. The condenser fan (outdoors) doesn't turn on, but I do hear the hum of the compressor. I believe the fan should be running all the time. I'm assuming the compressor is operating OK, even though it's not that...

York Air Condenser Running HARD [ 1 Answers ]

We have a York Air Condenser that is approximately 15 years old. This evening, the condenser was running so hard and the fan was turning so fast that we could hear it inside our home. Upon closer inspection, it looked (and sounded) like a turbine engine that was about to launch a C-130. I turned...

Replacing A/C - condenser or heat pump/condenser [ 1 Answers ]

I live in a condo. All of the units in the building need to new air conditioners because they are all old and will not survive a scheduled reroofing of the building. The association got a bid for a company that will put in a new condenser unit for anyone who wants one - it is about $1500 installed....

Furnace keep running while condenser has stopped [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, When I switch my thermostat to cool, the furnace fan runs as long as I keep setting at cool, but the condenser stop after about 30 minutes. The fan switch on the thermostat set to Auto. As far as I remember, the whole system should run for a period and then stop for a while (like taking...

View more questions Search