Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bostonsmom Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jun 26, 2008, 05:29 PM
    My dog has renal failure and won't eat!
    Help, my dog Boston (a 7 1/2 yr old Soft coated wheaten terrier) was diagnosed last week with chronic renal failure. We've been giving him subcutaneous IV fluids under the skin to help with getting rid of toxins and to hydrate him.
    But he is not eating, he's drinking but not eating.
    I've tried everything, home made diets: rice with chicken or beef, many different kinds of soft foods, dried foods, cold cuts, chicken soup, hot dog weiners (he liked those on Sunday, but not today!) sardines, peanut butter, tuna! He has always been a very finicky eater, he could go 1 or 2 days without eating, we would need to get his appetite going started with a carrot or cheese (which he is no longer interested in). He is on 1/2 a pepcid and 1/2 children's gravol to help with the nausea and the heartburn. But I don't know what else to do...
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jun 26, 2008, 07:27 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by bostonsmom
    Help, my dog Boston (a 7 1/2 yr old Soft coated wheaten terrier) was diagnosed last week with chronic renal failure. We've been giving him subcutaneous iv fluids under the skin to help with getting rid of toxins and to hydrate him.
    But he is not eating, he's drinking but not eating.
    I've tried everything, home made diets: rice with chicken or beef, many different kinds of soft foods, dried foods, cold cuts, chicken soup, hot dog weiners (he liked those on sunday, but not today!) sardines, peanut butter, tuna!! He has always been a very finicky eater, he could go 1 or 2 days without eating, we would need to get his appetite going started with a carrot or cheese (which he is no longer interested in). He is on 1/2 a pepcid and 1/2 children's gravol to help with the nausea and the heartburn. But I don't know what else to do...........

I don't know what else you can do but I had a dog with kidney failure and became familiar with their diet and you are feeding or attempting to feed foods with high sodium content which will only further damage his kidneys.

Cold cuts, hot dogs, sardines, peanut butter - all very, very bad.

Renal falure is terrible and I'm sure the dog feels very, very sick. He's being poisoned by his own system.

Talk to your Vet - I used a special dog food and could always count on ground up turkey fed by hand. When she didn't want to eat, I didn't force her or force the issue. She ate when she was hungry and didn't when she was sick. Had difficulty keeping her weight and strength up on occasion but was very, very careful about foods with sodium.
    westnlas Posts: 322, Reputation: 25

Jun 26, 2008, 07:31 PM
    Sometimes we need to put a pet down to end their suffering. It's harder than he**, but it's often the humane thing to do.
    I am sorry for the dog and you.
    bostonsmom Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jun 28, 2008, 05:25 AM
    I know about the sodium but thought anything was better than nothing. Thank you for your reply.
    When we got home yesterday Boston was really not well so we called the vet and yes did the humane thing.
    R.I.P. my beautiful boy.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jun 28, 2008, 05:46 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by bostonsmom
    I know about the sodium but thought anything was better than nothing. Thank you for your reply.
    When we got home yesterday Boston was really not well so we called the vet and yes did the humane thing.
    R.I.P. my beautiful boy.

Oh, I'm so very sorry - I truly am.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

I am having Chronic Renal Failure and I want to die before surgery! [ 7 Answers ]

My creatinine levels are rising and I don't have the strength to face transplantation or dialysis. I constantly think of killing myself. But I love my husband so much and don't want to disappoint him. But I hate living this way in fear every day every minute. I am caught.. I want to die but cannot...

Feline Renal Failure - Is prawn-only feeding OK? [ 1 Answers ]

My 13-year old cat Jesse has been diagnosed with renal failure. He refuses any food. I tried him on canned wet food of all types and flavours, dried food, fresh chicken, fresh beef, tinned tuna. The only food he accepts are fresh prawns. He is OK on taking his Medication. I'm worried that a...

End stage renal failure [ 8 Answers ]

My mother has been sent home to die with end stage renal failure and cerebral atrophy. She has been on dialysis for 15 months and doctors tell us let her die in peace. I am having a hard time with this. Is there anything we can try before she leaves us. I can't face the alternative of her dying...

Renal Failure [ 2 Answers ]

Is renal failure (kidney disease) hereditary?

Renal failure in a CAT [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, My eight year old cat, Willy, was recently diagnosed with Kidney Renal Failure..KIDNEY RENAL FAILURE He is right on the border. I would like to know what is the difference between Perscription products for Kidneys and the other products.. For example, Low Phosphorus, reduced portein,...

View more questions Search