Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    H. Bunch Posts: 18, Reputation: 1

Apr 13, 2006, 05:22 PM
    Generator grounding
    I just bought a 4400/3500 watt generator for a building project. The directions say that I need to ground the generator with a suitable grounding rod and stranded No. 12 AWG wire. I have never heard of contractors grounding their generators. Are they being careless, or are my generator instructions overly cautious (like when they tell you not to stand on the open oven door!)?
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Apr 13, 2006, 05:50 PM
    That's correct, most people do not properly ground their portable generators as per code and manufacture's instructions.

Of course, because of product liability, manufacturer's will tend be cautious, if someone gets hurt, and there is an injury, they will be off the hook if the unit is not grounded per their instructions and per code.

When we do events such as festivals, outdoor shows , etc. we must always ground all the portable gensets brought in for the event. If you go to a carnival, take a look at the generaotrs , and you will see them grounded to rods.

Chances of something happening while you are using a small genset is unlikely, but you assume all risk.
    H. Bunch Posts: 18, Reputation: 1

Apr 14, 2006, 04:23 AM
    Well, I sure do appreciate your input! It is good to know the facts.

So, do you drive in 8'copper or brass rods to ground them? Would a shorter rod do? Also, doesn't the generator ground itself as its metal body touches ground?
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Apr 14, 2006, 12:02 PM
    Purchase an 8 foot ground rod, it is made with a copper tube with soft white metal inside. I do not se brass rods made any longer.

Code requires a full eight foot, so as to achieve a max of 25 ohms.

No, just because the unit sits on the ground does not mean it is properly grounded properly, plus considering the unit is painted and usually has rubber feet.
    hamaso Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 13, 2011, 03:21 AM
    Hey Bunch,
    Generator room is to have a separate main earth bar, to which the Generator Neutral (star point) is to be connected by insulating earthing conductor through the neutral earth link or device. Neutral earthing conductor is to be sized to carry maximum earth fault current for time it takes the system protection to operate, with final conductor temp not exceeding 160 C (but not less than 120 mm2 for ratings below 500 kVA and 300mm2 for higher ratings unless otherwise specified).
    Generator Earthing terminal is to be connected to the generator main earth bar by insulated copper conductor of csa (not less than 120 mm2 unless otherwise specified).
    Switchgear (ATS) and control gear earthing terminals are to be connected by separate protective conductor to respective normal or emergency main distribution board earth bars.
    hamaso Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 13, 2011, 03:25 AM
    Hey Bunch,
    Attached Images
  1. File Type: pdf PT-6005-GroundingAC-1-en.pdf (229.1 KB, 1441 views)
  2. File Type: pdf PT-6006-GroundingAC-2-en.pdf (379.9 KB, 1076 views)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Grounding Bar vs. Neutral Bar? [ 14 Answers ]

Hello all. I have extended the wires from an unused 240 outlet to the backyard for a spa via a sub-panel. I also hooked up a new grounding electrode near it to avoid having to run a fourth wire all the way back to the main panel. This fourth wire goes to the small grounding bar in the sub-panel...

Grounding an Outlet [ 22 Answers ]

I am moving into an older house that has only 2-prong outlets. Some are 3-prong, but they are not grounded (I have a power strip that tells you if it is gounded or not). I found this at Ace Hardware....

Where to install a Grounding Rod [ 14 Answers ]

My house is about 20 years old and I do not have a grounding rod installed. Although all the wiring is grounded to the water pipes, I would still like to install one. My question is how close or far from the main electrical box should the grounding rod be installed? On on the other side of the...

Detached garage grounding rod or not [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I just ran across another problem. I will be running 40 amps 240 volts out to my garage via underground 8-3 plus ground. Do I need a grounding rod at the garage or is the ground via the service cable to the garage enough? I have seen both and am not sure why. Is the 240 volt service to the...

Help - What to do with the Grounding Wires [ 5 Answers ]

Because of brown waters, I want to re-run the hot/cold water pipes for the entire house. But there is one major problem, the existing galvanized pipes had some grounding wires attached to them and I'll plan to use the PEX pipe. I have no ideas how to run the new grounding wires when I take out...

View more questions Search