Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    arizonalaw Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 20, 2008, 09:17 PM
    Credit card Judgment
    I am in Arizona and I have just beem summons for a judgement on a credit card dedt. Can they put a lien on my home of garnish my wages?
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Jun 21, 2008, 06:43 AM
    Hello arizona:

No, they can't lien your home. Yes, they can garnish your wages.

excon
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jun 21, 2008, 08:22 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by excon
    Hello arizona:

excon

Yes, they can take 25% of your pay after taxes.
    progunr Posts: 1,971, Reputation: 288
    Ultra Member

Jun 21, 2008, 08:53 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by excon
    Hello arizona:

excon
    If they have a valid judgment, why can they not obtain a lien against the property?

I don't see where this is prohibited in Arizona?
    Uber Member

Jun 21, 2008, 09:01 AM
    Hello again, Prog:

Credit card debt is NON secured debt. It CAN'T be turned into SECURED debt simply because they won a lawsuit. Otherwise, there really isn't any such thing as non secured debt.

excon
    Ultra Member

Jun 21, 2008, 09:14 AM
    I have heard of many liens, placed on property, by credit card debt judgments?

Here is one quote from a Debt Resolution Service on the topic:

How are liens attached to your property?

First a creditor must summons you to appear in court and win a judgment. In about half of all states, once a creditor wins a judgment, a lien is automatically placed on your property in the county in which the judgment was won. In the other states, the creditor must record the judgment with the respective Secretary of State, Circuit Court Clerk, Recorder of Deeds, etc.

Even if it is not an actual lien, don't most lenders, require that any judgment on your credit bureau be satisfied or dismissed, prior to the sale or purchase of a home?
    Uber Member

Jun 21, 2008, 09:28 AM
    Hello again, Prog:

You make very good points. I believe that credit card companies do it routinely too. I just don't think they're allowed to by law.

Of course, I'm sure they've written in their contracts the RIGHT to lien property. They change those contracts all the time. You probably received numerous updates from your credit card company. Updates that are extremely long, written in legaleze and in VERY small letters... I get 'em all the time. Do I read 'em?? Are you kidding?

They're the only industry who, with the blessings of Congress (no doubt the earlier Republican lead one), can change the interest rate they charge you anytime they want to, unilaterally, for no reason at all...

So, I'm not surprised that they get away with it . I STILL don't think it's legal... But, I harbor many such thoughts.

excon

PS> I do agree that a lender would require any judgments to be paid off.
    Ultra Member

Jun 21, 2008, 10:03 AM
    [QUOTE=excon]Hello again, Prog:

They're the only industry who, with the blessings of Congress (no doubt the earlier Republican lead one), can change the interest rate they charge you anytime they want to, unilaterally, for no reason at all...

Excon[QUOTE]

Yes, they can, and they do. Fortunately, the legislature has passed some restraints on these vultures and these practices.

Unfortunately, they won't take effect until close to the end of this year.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jun 21, 2008, 11:20 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by arizonalaw
    I am in Arizona and I have just beem summons for a judgement on a credit card dedt. Can they put a lien on my home of garnish my wages?

When you say you received a summons for a Judgment - these are two different things.

Did you receive papers to go to Court for a hearing on a past debt?

OR did you receive a copy of a Judgment in the mail.

If you received the copy of a Judgment - is it legal? Were you served with the original papers?

Do you have a defense to the non-payment of the debt?

You appear to be making the jump from summons to Judgment -

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Credit Card Judgment [ 6 Answers ]

NY - I received a letter from the enforcement officer, that the court found favor of judgment for the creditor (Capital one) 1. I was never informed of a court date nor did I ever receive a letter on it 2. My credit limit was $600.00 court judgment is for $1629.00.. +interest from 04/10/08 Again...

Credit Card Judgment [ 3 Answers ]

I have researched the info I can find on here before posting this. I can't find what I need to know. Here is my situation. I was served a summons to appear in court for $6400 credit card debt. I called the attorney that is representing the bank that is sueing me for judgment. I asked for the...

Credit card judgment [ 1 Answers ]

My bank account was frozen needless to say there was a judgment against me from an old credit card dept the collection agency claims that was my account ,I filed an order to show cause emedeitly and my court date is up soon.but I really don't know if the account is mine,can I ask for validation of...

Credit card judgment agaist me [ 3 Answers ]

I don't understand how a $300.00 credit card became over the limit of up to 2,000 this includes all interest from 6 years ago.I got sued and a jugdment was entered against me and I didn't find out until I went to withdraw money from my account .this collection agency claims that they mailed me and...

View more questions Search