Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    yazz Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 20, 2008, 11:03 PM
    My dog ate a pork bone
    My dog ate a cooked pork bone tonight. My dad gave it to her thinking that it was OK because we have given her beef bones and she does good with those. I am worried because I heard that they split and can do a lot of damage. I don't know what to do. She is a lab/beagle mix and about 50lbs. Do I need to take her in right away or is there something I should look for?
    Dr Dermie Posts: 31, Reputation: 3

Jun 20, 2008, 11:15 PM
    As you know you must never feed dogs or cats cooked bones. They evolved eating raw bones. If your dog is not showing any signs of discomfort or other symptoms then all you can do is wait. But right now: call your local vet and let them know what your dog ate, what time your dog ate the bone and anything else they need to know. Keep an eye on your dog and be alert to any change in behaviour. Sometimes the bones are just passed through having broken up in the small bowel. Good luck!
    starbuck8 Posts: 3,128, Reputation: 734
    Gone, But Not Forgotten

Jun 21, 2008, 03:22 AM
    I agree with Dr. Dermie. Just keep an eye on her, and check her stools to make sure there is no blood, and watch for behavioural changes. If nothing seems to change, then I think a few pork bones won't be of much harm. Tell your Dad, although I'm sure he meant well, not to give your dog anymore cooked bones... especially pork or chicken. Cooked bones are not good for them at all. Just inform your vet, and don't be too worried about one isolated incident. Chances are your dog will just pass them.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

My dog swallowed a pork rib bone, what should I do [ 6 Answers ]

My yellow lab, 95 lbs, swallowed a pork rib bone - she has swallowed a small bone in the past and her stomach acids took care of it cause nothing bad happened. Its about 4 inches long and 1/2 an inch wide. What should I do> Feed her bread?

Eating pork [ 55 Answers ]

I’ve been told that Bible prohibits the eating of pork. Their proof is: the book of Leviticus, ch 11, v. 7, it is recorded that God declares the pig to be unclean for believers. Then, in verse 8, God says: “You must not eat their meat or touch their carcasses; they are unclean for you.” This...

Cooking pork, [ 8 Answers ]

I marinaded a pork tenderlion 20+ hoursand sliced it down the middle... about 6 pounds... and put it in the oven on high to sear,seer the outside... now I can't find my damn cook book so I know how long to cook it and at what temp... I know I need to turn it down on low but how low how long? I...

Pork- is it a sin to eat it? [ 52 Answers ]

Is it true it is a sin to eat pork?

Pork chops [ 5 Answers ]

Does anyone have any good recipes for boneless center cut pork chops?

View more questions Search