Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Iamnoplumber Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 12, 2008, 04:12 PM
    Do I need a new pressure gauge?
    Hi, I typed a whole thing and lost it so will start over. My son and I had a well drilled 20 years ago and piped water to our houses which are about 30 feet apart. Yesterday a couple different times I had dirt in my water. Today it cleared up pretty good but have heard noises in my basement like someone pounding on metal pipes. I ran the water for awhile and the gauge stayed the same and the water pressure remained very good.

My son has the pressure switch, etc. in his basement and he is not having any problems. My holding tank is light blue about 30 inches high and 50 inches around the outside. It has an orange cap at the top saying to the installer to check the air pressure. A label says the pump is powered by Franklin Submersible motor. Another label says Model # S50FM2-07-2 but I think it also refers to the motor.

At one time we were both getting dirt and we had the switch replaced. There is no shut off between the gauge and where the water pipe enters the basement. It would need to be shut off to replace the pressure gauge? Is it possible to drain out the dirt like I do with my water heater? I am a 71 year old woman, so forgive me if my questions seem stupid. Thank you.
    jlisenbe Posts: 5,020, Reputation: 157
    Uber Member

Jun 12, 2008, 05:21 PM
    1. Relax. Your questions are not stupid. That's not to say, however, that my answers might not be!

2. The switch has nothing to do with dirt in your water. It regulates pressure.

3. You can drain the tank, but I don't think that will help you. Most tanks like you describe have the water inlet and outlet at one opening in the bottom and do not tend to collect dirt. But, to drain the tank, you will cut off the power and drain the tank though an outside spigot so long as its lower than the tank. Can't drain it like a hotwater heater since in probably does not have the drain cock (or whatever its called) like the heater has.

4. Your pressure gauge will also not affect having dirt in the water.

5. You can place a sediment filter on your line and solve much of the dirt problem, though the water might still be discolored. Strange that your son does not seem to have dirt. I am wondering if what you are referring to as "dirt" is actually rust or other "crud" that will collect in pipes and tanks over time. Just curious... does this "dirt" come only in hot water or in both hot and cold?
    Iamnoplumber Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 18, 2008, 04:21 AM
    We really have no idea why I was getting dirt and my son wasn't. Yes, it was dirt as I had to clean the filters on my faucets and washing machine. I don't know if it affected the hot water as I didn't use it until the water cleared up so it wouldn't get into my hot water tank. My son had no problems whatsoever. It did it twice one day and the pipes were banging the same day. Everything has been fine since. We did have our electricity go off and back on quickly several times that day or the day before. Thank you for taking your time to answer.

Quote Originally Posted by jlisenbe
    1. Relax. Your questions are not stupid. That's not to say, however, that my answers might not be!

2. The switch has nothing to do with dirt in your water. It regulates pressure.

3. You can drain the tank, but I don't think that will help you. Most tanks like you describe have the water inlet and outlet at one opening in the bottom and do not tend to collect dirt. But, to drain the tank, you will cut off the power and drain the tank though an outside spigot so long as its lower than the tank. Can't drain it like a hotwater heater since in probably does not have the drain cock (or whatever its called) like the heater has.

4. Your pressure gauge will also not affect having dirt in the water.

5. You can place a sediment filter on your line and solve much of the dirt problem, though the water might still be discolored. Strange that your son does not seem to have dirt. I am wondering if what you are referring to as "dirt" is actually rust or other "crud" that will collect in pipes and tanks over time. Just curious...does this "dirt" come only in hot water or in both hot and cold?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

12 gauge Wire Used w/ 14 gauge Outlet [ 6 Answers ]

Hello, I have a fairly new home I purchased. I am changing my outlets as I am painting the rooms (Laundry Room) and noticed that the previous home owner put in a laundry board (built in) and wired to the nearest outlet on the wall. They used 12 gauge wire to the outlet (from the built in iron...

Refrigeration gauge [ 2 Answers ]

My refrigeration gauge needle vibrate when am taking pressure reading

Failed gass gauge and temperature gauge on 1988 Nissan Pathfinder [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 1988 Nissan Pathfinder 4x4. The gas gauge and the temperature gauge would stop working at the same time when the car warmed up. They both would come back on periodically and then off again. Currently they have not come back on in about 3 months. How do I fix this problem?

Leaky Water Tank Pressure gauge [ 1 Answers ]

I have well water and my water tank pressure gauge has a small leak. What are the steps that I need to take to safely replace it? Also can I purchase the new pressure gauge at a Home Depot or Lowe's? Thanks, Bill

Oil Pressure gauge, going bad? [ 2 Answers ]

My f-150 has only 77.000 original miles,I'm the 2nd owner. Previous owned said not to freak out when I came to a stop and the oil pressure gauge drops to nothing,that it had always done this. I've put 3,000 miles on it since and it does the same thing with me,but it doesn't seem to be going dry of...

View more questions Search