Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lbmarine Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 16, 2006, 12:11 PM
    Root canal after permanent crown
    Just found out that I need a root canal after my permanent crown has been put in. My bottom left far back molar had cracked requiring a crown. The tooth which had a filling in it looked good with no decay when the dentist prepared the tooth for the crown. After two weeks with the new crown, pain started. I went back to the dentist. He took another x-ray which now shows infection in my jawbone right below one of the roots. I am being sent to a Endodontist for the RCT. My dentist says that they will drill through the top of my new crown do the RCT and put a temporary filling in. Then I'll go back to my dentist for a permanent filling. This is my first crown and will be my first ever root canal. I'm pretty scared about the whole thing. After spending 1G on a new crown, can't they take it off to do the root canal? Why are they going to drill into it then patch it with a filling? Won't that weaken my new porceline crown? Thanks for taking the time to answer my questions.
    Starman Posts: 1,308, Reputation: 135
    -

Apr 10, 2006, 08:55 AM
    Your dentist is the best one to answer these concerns. If you are afraid to ask him, then your are going to the wrong dentist. Better yet, if he hasn't taken the time to explain them spontaneously, as he should have, then he is not the right dentist for you.

About root canal, they shouldn't be more painful than a regular filling.
    I know, I have had two.
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Apr 11, 2006, 08:30 AM
    Hi,
    As in the answer before this, your dentist would be more qualified to answer your questions about "why".
    I can offer a suggestion about "pain".
    I am the type person who gets very, very nervous just going into a dentist's office!
    My dentist finally suggested Nitrous Gas. If you have never tried this, it really works. After putting on the nose piece, and after about 10 mintues, I am completely relaxed, wouldn't care if a train came through the place, and feel absolutely no pain with root canals or anything else the dentist has to do.
    Just a suggestion.
    nuwancw Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 16, 2008, 04:40 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Starman
    Your dentist is the best one to answer these concerns. If you are afraid to ask him, then your are going to the wrong dentist. Better yet, if he hasn't taken the time to explain them spontaneously, as he should have, then he is not the right dentist for you.

About root canal, they shouldn't be more painful than a regular filling.
    I know, I have had two.

Dental crown is done buy a dentist and not nurse. Also, it can be over-tiredness for a patient. :D It would be good that you answered here in a way.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Aug 16, 2008, 10:25 PM
    Thread closed, no need to answer a 2 year old thread

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Root Canal Problem [ 8 Answers ]

After five years of 3 different re-constructions on a cracked/ decayed big back tooth, the nerve started to die (v.painful) and has been removed. I now have a temp filling and am awaiting full root canal treatment in a few (6) weeks. When I had temp filling it gave me a disgusting rotting food...

Why did my dentist put on a crown without a root canal? [ 5 Answers ]

Two years ago my dentist worked with my front incisors which had been broken in a freak pogo-stick accident when I was a child. Way back then, my childhood dentist told me one day the teeth might die and need root canals. Fifteen years later, I developed a blister over one of the incisors and...

Broke a tooth that has a root canal and dentist dismissed me as his patient [ 5 Answers ]

Recently I 'broke' a tooth that contained a large filling and a root canal. Because I have diabetes, leukemia and several other serious health problems, including low platlets, 40ish, my dentist of 18 years informed me that he didn't want me as his patient any long. I presume his liability...

Root Systems [ 1 Answers ]

How about helping out a fellow expert,(plumbing page)? I live on the West coast of Florida. When Tropical Storm Gabriel came ashore a few days after 9/11 the combination of rain,(soggy soil) and wind toppled a Jacaranda Tree that was over fifty feet tall and forty eight years old. This tree has no...

Root canal tooth came out [ 1 Answers ]

My back tooth which had a root canal and crown just came out, crown and tooth intact with a silver post. I don't know what to do. Help, I don't think the dentist is in his office until Monday and it is Friday night. I'm thinking the tooth had decayed under the crown. I have a huge hole in my...

View more questions Search