Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    juhraffe Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jun 11, 2008, 06:31 PM
    Carrier central a/c compressor starts and immediately stops
    My Carrier 38CKC central a/c unit stopped cooling during the recent high-90's weather. The fan on the external unit runs when the thermostat is set to turn the a/c on, and the compressor sounds like it tries to start for a second, but then it immediately stops. It tries again to start about every 30 seconds, but never succeeds. The unit is about 7 years old. Any thoughts on what's going on?
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Jun 11, 2008, 07:24 PM
    Could be a bad start relay or start capacitor.
    Could be a bad run capacitor.
    Could be a bad wire on one of the compressor terminals.
    Could be a bad compressor but check the other items first.
    wmproop Posts: 3,749, Reputation: 91
    Ultra Member

Jun 11, 2008, 08:15 PM
    Thinking if it had a burned or bad wire not making contact,, it would be trying to start

Jun 11, 2008, 08:16 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by hvac1000
    Could be a bad start relay or start capacitor.
    Could be a bad run capacitor.
    Could be a bad wire on one of the compressor terminals.
    Could be a bad compressor but check the other items first.
    Thanks for the ideas. I'll check the capacitors and compressor terminal wires and see if I can figure out what's going on.

Jun 12, 2008, 06:17 AM
    The run capacitor is good. I tried a large start capacitor (~160uF) with no luck. The wires look good, and the start motor appears to be drawing a lot of current when it tries to start the compressor. Perhaps the piston is stuck in the compressor. If so, would hitting the compressor with a hammer or something knock the piston loose? Bottom line, I'm probably looking at buying a new compressor. Since it's R-22 based it looks like this won't be cheap.
    wmproop Posts: 3,749, Reputation: 91
    Ultra Member

Jun 12, 2008, 09:21 AM
    How old is the unit? May want to think about complete replacement rather than just a compressor,, you are probably looking at $800.00 there abouts for just compressor replacement,,

Jun 12, 2008, 03:33 PM
    I got some quotes:

$3000 for compressor replacement (for current SEER 10 Carrier)
    $4000 for new SEER 13 unit (Carrier Comfort series)
    $5000 for new SEER 15 unit (Carrier Performance series)

All are 2 ton (24,000 BTU/hr)

Compared to the prices I was quoted that $800 compressor is sounding pretty good. Where can I find one of those?
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Jun 12, 2008, 05:11 PM
    $3000 for compressor replacement (for current SEER 10 Carrier)

The above price is WAY OUT THERE.

Here is the problem. Replacing the compressor is not something you can really do. In other words they do not send a rookie out to do compressor replacements from a HVAC company.

Way too much involved to type here + you need a certificate from the EPA to administer the removal and recharge of the refrigerant. Recovery machine, vacuum pump and other tools cost more than the compressor to start with so you will have to make a big$$$$ investment to change one compressor.

Take a block of wood (2X4) and place it on the weld lip midway up the compressor. (this is a strong area). Use a good size hammer or mallet and give it a wack or two. If that fails get some more estimates. If it works get some Supco 88 in your system right away. It is the best lubricant available for stuck/damaged compressors rings. A compressor replacement has to be much cheaper than what you were quoted.
    T-Top Posts: 1,871, Reputation: 100
    Ultra Member

Jun 12, 2008, 05:22 PM
    Did you check the start relay to see if it was good. You can have the best start capacitor but with a bad relay it will make it useless.
    sameian Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 16, 2008, 06:26 PM
    Juhraffe,

My A/C just started having the same symptoms. I did notice however that when I allow it to cool off for a few hours that it will kick on and work for a while but when it heats up the compressor will go back to that routine. Had a tech come out, he said he had to replace a part that had already been replaced once before... he was supposed to call me back with the price of the part but never did. I personally replaced the delay timer before but am not sure if some one else had replaced something before me... the capacitors label is totally worn away but I'm thinking might as well replace that too. Maybe you can try that.

Sam
    joymallya Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 16, 2012, 05:03 AM
    Why does ac compressor take 2 to 3 minutes to start?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

89 Dakota Starts then dies immediately [ 2 Answers ]

The truck is a 3.9 V6, fuel injected. We thought it was a fuel pump or fuel filter problem but replacing both of them didn't solve the problem. I replaced the pickup coil (reluctor) or whatever the thing is called inside the distributor. Again no help. Gas gauge reads normal when you turn the...

Well water system: shower stops whole house water stops and starts [ 2 Answers ]

I have a plumbing/well water question. Recently our water flow has been stopping (during a shower or in the sink). The entire house water supply stops. Sometimes there is a noise - like air - as if we've been away for a month. Sometimes there is no noise at all, the flow goes down to a trickle...

New Compressor goes on, shuts off immediately [ 5 Answers ]

I have a Trane EX1000 unit, compressor burnt up a few days ago. It just suddenly stopped being cool here, we were right into a 30 day plus run of over 90 temps. Unit has been cleaned, tech relaced a thermal expansion valve and installed new compressor. Compressor now will come on and then...

1993 civic starts but won't rev. Immediately [ 2 Answers ]

Anybody who have experienced and solved this problem please help... a 1993 civic is running but won't rev.until after about 15 to 20 seconds of full throttle, the C.E.L. is on. We have replaced the E.C.U borrowed from a running car, the M.A.P sensor and the T.P.S too... still the same. The only...

Only in AM, gas furnace stops and starts [ 1 Answers ]

Hello I have a Gaffers-Sattler furnace, about 40 years old. Runs great, but for one problem. In the morning around 5 or 6, I turn on furnace and it will heat up and run for about 5 to 6 minutes then stop for about 3 minutes and repeat this all morning long. (frustration as this is when its...

View more questions Search