Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    c2sea Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 11, 2008, 06:41 AM
    Trane control board fuse blowing
    Help! A/C unit went out last night. Opened inside unit up (Trane XE80) and pulled the 5 amp blade fuse on the control board and saw that it had blown. Replaced the 5 amp fuse, closed the panel, and the blower started. When I went to turn on the A/C, the 5 amp fuse blew again (and again).

Main fuse box is not tripping, but replaced circuit breaker and 30 amp cartridge fuses in outside fuse box. Also replaced thermostat.

I can get the fan to work if I put in a new 5 amp blade fuse, and the LED will flash at regular intervals, but when I try to start either the heater or the A/C, it blows the 5 amp fuse every time.

Is the control board bad? Any other suggestions?

Thanks
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Jun 11, 2008, 06:54 AM
    Sounds like the heater or compressor coil on contactor may be shorted.
    Remove wires from compressor Contactor coil, try Cool, If it doesn't blow, it is that contactor. Can do same test with heater contactor. Also may be thermostat misswired?
    esquire1 Posts: 2,483, Reputation: 209
    Ultra Member

Jun 11, 2008, 09:53 AM
    Or could be the low voltage wiring from outside of house to condensing unit got chewed up by dog or weedeater. Have seen this many times
    c2c Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 11, 2008, 12:52 PM
    Thanks - I had to create a new account for some reason since I could not log back in for some reason... anyway, don't think it's the thermostat since it was doing this before I replaced it.

I have one of those boxes from the energy company which allows them to cycle the a/c on and off during peak conditions. Since posting this morning, I've heard of a few people who have had problems with these - particiulallry since we have had a few wicked electrical storms which may have caused some surges. Is there any way to bypass??

Stratmando - where is the compressor contactor coil??
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Jun 11, 2008, 01:20 PM
    Your Outside unit has a Compressor and a fan, the wiring runs to a compartment for Electrical connections, A qualified person would turn off power, open the cover where wiring from Disconnect goes into unit. You will probably find contactor and maybe a capacitor or 2.
    The Contactor gets 24 volts from thermostat (Green?)other leg of 24 volts is from transformer in Air Handler.
    You would disconnect wires that go to coil, Like Ebaines was saying, it can be anywhere along the control wiring, from the inside unit to the outside unit, and from thermostat to inside unit. Control wiring may be in same conduit as high voltage(If Insulation rating is mantained). Less likely to be physically damaged, I would Visuially check also, especially since it happens on "Heat" AND "Cool"?
    Newer Systems have more than 2 low voltage conductors, and are used for diagnostics.
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Jun 11, 2008, 03:05 PM
    Is there any way to bypass

Not suggested or recommended with out contacting the utility. They might penalize you for the disconnect of there device.
    ybperez Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 17, 2010, 09:46 AM
    My heating unit turns on, air come out, but heating air, just plain air. There is a red light that comes on and blinks. I had this inspected and I was told all the wires and connections are working properly, it seems that the circuit box or card is either stuck or not reading right. They said this is what not giving the signal for heat to come on. Is the this the control board and circuit box and card bad? And is it more convenient for me to fix this or buy a new one?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Air conditioner keeps blowing fuse in circuit board [ 5 Answers ]

Hello, I Am Having A Problem With My Carrier Weathermaker 8000 Air Conditioning. It Keeps Blowing The Fuse In The Circuit Board Inside The Furnace Unit. Yesterday I Checked The Wiring Inside The Thermostat Tightened A Couple Of Wires And The Unit Started ( Yea) But It Ran Continuously For...

Replacing Control Board on Trane Unit [ 17 Answers ]

Hello, Does anybody have any experience replacing the control board (CNT 03798) on a trane unit? I had an HVAC guy check out the unit, and he told me that was the part that needed replacing. I'd like to do it myself to save several $100.00 on the job, but I've never done it before. It...

My Lux aire control board fuse blows. [ 1 Answers ]

I have a heat pump systems a LuxAire made by York it is ony 4 year old the model number is: F2FP048H06G I have isolate all t/stat wire in and tested for possible grownding with negative result. I did rung the A/H fan on on and works find but when I set the unit for cooling or heating it blows...

Keeps blowing 3 Amp Fuse on Control Panel. [ 1 Answers ]

I Have A Carrier (58gsc)upflow Furnace & A/c Unit, Which Is 18 Years Old. When I Tried To Turn The Heater On , Only Blower Came On & Would Not Turn Off Unless Disconnected From Electricity. Replaced Sofar Control Unit, Thermostat,transformer Was Blown,& Finally The Limit Switch. When I...

Furnace control board fuse keeps blowing [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I have a Carrier furnace 48GS-036090311TP with a Honeywell T8401C thermostat. I can run the fan on continuously but when I put the Heat to ON on the T-stat, the 5 Amp fuse on the control board (LH33WP003A) in the furnace blows. The sequence is like this: 1. Fan only operation is running...

View more questions Search