Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mitchsc Posts: 802, Reputation: 7

Jun 10, 2008, 06:32 PM
    Can't Delete Folder - Can't Turn Off Read-Only
    I created a temporary folder on my desktop to download some photos from an old SD card before I tossed it, then sent them from the folder to burn on a CD. No Problem.

Now I can't delete the temporary desktop folder. When I go to properties, it says read-only. I unchecked it from read-only, but when I try to delete it, it just goes back to read-only and won't delete.

I looked on Microsoft Support, and they suggest changing the registry. I was hoping for a simpler solution. Any ideas?

Thanks
    friend4u178 Posts: 3,349, Reputation: 1584
    Ultra Member

Jun 10, 2008, 06:50 PM
    You may be able to delete it through Notepad , I have used this method to great affect a couple of times.

Run notepad.exe Go "File" "Open" select the folder and hit delete !

Hopefully that works for you.
    Scleros Posts: 2,165, Reputation: 262
    Hardware Expert

Jun 10, 2008, 07:11 PM
    What error message do you get when trying to delete?

Comments:
    • All folders are marked read-only, not with a full check mark, but just partial checked with a green square.
    • For Windows 2000 or later, verify you have necessary permissions on the folder's Properties > Security tab. You can reinherit and replace permissions via the Advanced button if need be.
    • Reboot the computer to attempt to clear any hung processes or open file handles referencing the folder. Microsoft offers a Process Explorer utility that displays files associated with a particular process and allows you free the handle.
    • If all of the above have failed, booting into safe mode via F8 at startup and attempting delete is another option.
    seahwk83 Posts: 3,276, Reputation: 212
    Ultra Member

Jun 10, 2008, 08:23 PM
    In explorer
    c:\Documents and Settings\User Name (you)\Desktop

In the path above in the desktop folder should be the temp folder you created, try and delete here
    Abid422 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 10, 2008, 08:23 PM
    As per my thinking, you need to scan your computer for the Virus first & then check it solve your problem or not.

Abid Shaikh

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How do I cancel the read-only attribute so I can access the folder? [ 4 Answers ]

Hello, I have a folder which contains some pictures and videos. I was going to move to folder into another folder but by mistake I moved it into c:/program files/audible. (audible is a web based service where I can dowload audiobooks). Now I can't access my data folder (mystuff) because when I...

Cannot delete read e-mails [ 1 Answers ]

Hi to All! I`m a brand new member first timer ( a little background) I have windows XP and I`m using Outlook Express 6. Ist I had a message. Stuck in my outbox which I could not delete 2nd I had 0over 2000 message in my send box I could not delete and I could not delete any of my inbox msg`s. I...

Delete old folder from previous xp installation [ 1 Answers ]

My computer has 2 hard drives. When I reinstalled windows XP SPII my old documents folder which resides in another partition will not allow me to acess it. I no longer need the folder and I just want to free up the space. Any suggestions?

Install folder is missing from my Windows (XP) folder [ 3 Answers ]

How odd. Tried to install a program and got "1607: Unable to install InstallShield Scripting Runtime". I found the fix options at microsoft.com but one of them refers to C:\Windows\Installer - and I realize I don't have it! How the heck it disappeared I have no clue :confused: Hope hope...

Can't delete album folder from My Music. [ 3 Answers ]

I was having problems playing songs on Musicmatch Jukebox, from one of the cds I ripped to My Music. I tried to delete the artist's folder but it won't let me (cannot delete file: cannot read from the source file or disk). I opened this folder and saw two folders with the name of the album on...

View more questions Search