Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rex123 Posts: 766, Reputation: 100

Jun 10, 2008, 11:35 AM
    Skinny dog
    My brothers dog is a lab/boxer mix and he is very skinny I can go and count every single one of his ribs, he does have worms and he will be treated for that but could that be why he's so skinny, you can see his spine and his sides are really sunk in. Its not that he doesn't eat enough he eat as much as my dog yet is much skinnier. When I tell my brother he needs medical attention my brother claims he's skinny because of the boxer in him. Do you think this is the reason, or is it a medical issue? Could it be from the worms?
    AlwaysWriting Posts: 131, Reputation: 6

Jun 10, 2008, 11:43 AM
    The worms could be adding to his weight loss, or perhaps he's under two and hasn't filled out yet? Also, if you have him fixed, he'll pack the pounds on. A lab/boxer mix should be eating 3 cups of food a day, preferably dry. If he still isn't any better, take him to the vet.

Jun 10, 2008, 12:04 PM
    Thanks. He eats probably more than that a day, he is a really big dog. If I had money and it were up to me I would take him to the vet but I can't force my brother to take his dog to the vet. He won't even buy him the 12$ worm pill its my parents who are going to buy it for him, I think that if he can't afford to look after the dog he shouldn't have it.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Jun 12, 2008, 04:43 AM
    Worms will cause underweight problems. Once the worms are cleared up, if he will eat it, keep increasing the amount of chow until the ribs disappear. Evaluate the dog as illustrated in this link, LongLiveYourDog.com - Life Span Study - Rate Your Dog You may want the vet to confirm your judgment. Adjust the dogs food and exercise as needed to reach its ideal body condition. Some German Shepherds and other breeds may refuse to eat enough to completely hid their ribs. As long as you are feeding a concentrated, meat based chow, the best thing is to accept it.

3 cups a day is on the bottom range for a Lab eating a concentrated chow. I had to feed 7 cups a day of Pro Plan to one that came to me at 7 months with her ribs showing. The dog's ribs are a much better guide than any chart.

Yes it is a shame people don't take good care of their dogs. In most of the country, it is important to have the dog on a heartworm remedy too.
    bushg Posts: 3,433, Reputation: 596
    Ultra Member

Jun 12, 2008, 08:38 PM
    Rex, from what I understand from some of your other post is that this dog also lives in the same house as your dog. The chances of your dog being infected with the same types of worms are very high. You may want to get your dog checked as well.
    froggy7 Posts: 1,801, Reputation: 242
    Ultra Member

Jun 13, 2008, 12:00 AM
    I will also point out that, unless your brother is over 18, your parents are legally responsible for your brother's dog's care. Yours too.
    starbuck8 Posts: 3,128, Reputation: 734
    Gone, But Not Forgotten

Jun 13, 2008, 12:42 AM
    I want to add that there are 5 different types of worms that a dog can get. Some are deadly, and all can cause a lack of weight gain.

-Tapeworm
    -Heartworm
    -Roundworm
    -Whipworm
    -Hookworm

All of these require different treatments. Roundworm and Hookworm can also be transmitted to humans. One of the main symptoms in most dogs with "worms" is an underweight dog. Some dog worms are visible to the naked eye, while some are not. Only a vet can determine that.

I believe a visit to the vet is necessary! If not, your brother could end up with a very sick pup, and more vet bills than he, or your parents can handle... or worse!

This has nothing to do with the breed of the dog. There is no breed of dog on the planet, that you should be able to count it's ribs. If the dog is getting the "proper nutritional" food, and is still underweight, it is time for a vet visit period!

Jun 13, 2008, 02:17 AM
    My brother is over 18. The other day mom went and bought 2 worm pills from the vet so hopefully this will help and he won't be so skinny.
    froggy7 Posts: 1,801, Reputation: 242
    Ultra Member

Jun 13, 2008, 07:43 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by rex123
    My brother is over 18. The other day mom went and bought 2 worm pills from the vet so hopefully this will help and he won't be so skinny.
    Depending on how much stress you want to cause in the family, you could tell your brother that he needs to either take better care of the dog, find it a new home, or else you will bring the humane society in on the situation. That's how my brother managed to get one of his dogs from a neighbor. Or talk to your parents and see what kind of pressure they can apply to your older brother. Even being over 18, since he's still living at home the humane society may consider it still partly your parent's responsibility to take care of the dog since it resides on their property, the same way that you can't just ignore an animal living with you because it belongs to someone else who has vanished.

Jun 13, 2008, 07:47 AM
    Do you think that if the humane society did end up taking his dog that they would take my dog to, since he is in the same house?:(
    Gone, But Not Forgotten

Jun 13, 2008, 08:11 AM
    Is your dog healthy and up to date with all of his shots and check-ups? I would tend to think that since you were the one to call, should you go this route, the kind people from the Humane Society would focus on your brothers sick dog.

Why isn't your brother taking care of his dog? Is this a money issue, or is he just being neglectful? You are right to be concerned for the dogs well being. I would start by telling your brother (as Froggy said) that if he doesn't do something, and soon, (give him a very short period of time) that you WILL be calling the authorities.

As I mentioned before, some types of worms can be deadly, and can kill the poor dog that is being neglected. You don't want any dog to be in any pain do you? I think you really do care, and you want the best for your brothers dog. Appeal to your Mom, and mention that some cases of worms can be transmitted to humans, so unless you get the dog to the vet for a check-up, the rest of the family could be making a trip to the Dr. also.

I don't know where you live, or what services are available, but where I live, often if finances are a problem, you can get a little help from the SPCA, or your vet may have a pmt plan available.

Whichever way you go about it, you really need to make sure this dog is treated. Bless you for wanting to help that defenceless, and voiceless pup.

Jun 13, 2008, 08:12 AM
    Thanks

Jan 1, 2009, 04:07 AM

So time for an update...
    You guys know from a few of my questions, that unfortunately while living here with his dog, my brother didn't pay very much attention to him at all. About three months ago though my two older brothers moved out into an apartment(I miss them very much). And believe it or not my brother now takes on all responsibility for his dog. He also got another puppy named miles(a german shepherd) I'm very proud of my brother for taking on the FULL responsibility that comes with owning a dog. Both his dogs are in great shape.
    Gone, But Not Forgotten

Jan 1, 2009, 05:44 AM

I'm really glad your brother and his dog are doing so much better! That's great! I bet he saw how such good care you take of Rex, and it rubbed off on him! :)

Jan 1, 2009, 06:42 AM

And when he moved into his apartment, me and my mom weren't there to look after the dog, so he realized he had to.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

I'm too skinny [ 4 Answers ]

I'm too skinny,everyone tells me and I'm so self conscious about the way I look.and I alwayz feel ugli,nothing looks good on me because my curves don't show, I don't ever skip meals and I always eat,but I don't grow why is that? how can I put on weight I want to be a normal size,please help...

My dog is getting really skinny [ 1 Answers ]

My shephard/chow mix dog has been getting progressively skinnier over the past few months. She seems to be eating but has also had runny stools and accidents in the house. Is this normal? She is around 10 or 11 and has always snacked on her food but was in a house that gave her many table scraps. ...

Skinny Dog [ 1 Answers ]

My dog has gotten very skinny. What can I feed him to make him gain weight?

Too Skinny [ 9 Answers ]

Okay I'm 17 years old and I'm so skinny I'm just 100 pounds and I haven't gained any weight for a couple of years and I want to gain weight but it never works... like every time I eat a lot I never gain weight and I just get so tired of eating and eating till I'm full to the point where I want to...

Too skinny [ 1 Answers ]

I have a black lab crossed with a irish lab, he's a boy and eats a lot but his back bones show really well and is so0 thin? I'm just wondering is he OK? Or is there something I could do? He eats all the right puppy food biscuts etc.. He's about four months old? Please help!:confused:

View more questions Search