Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bildad Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 9, 2008, 10:28 PM
    Property Line Dispute and Adverse Possession Statute
    I live in Washington State. We bought a 2 acre lot in 2001 and started construction in Feb 2002. The neighbor on one side was a couple months ahead of us on construction and finished his house and landscaping before we did. The realtor had rebar stakes on the lot lines with a little white board with arrows showing Lot 3 on one side and Lot 4 to the other side. The neighbor put in his sprinklers and shrubs a bed with fairly close adherence to this property line. I did the same and life's been good.

Now I have built a shop. The builder, wanting to comply with the county requirement of 15' layback, placed the building 25+ feet from this line. Well the neighbor does not like my shop and says that it "looks" right into his backyard, where he happened to put a swimming pool last summer. Because they are ticked off they had a survey done, and lo and behold the pin for our property line is about 20 feet in my direction. It seems there was a curvature pin for the road that the realtor assumed was the property line pin. Even the power company missed it because they placed the service box straddling the line. Mysteriously no one can find the original pin and the surveyor just drove in a new one.

My question is what legal grounds do I have to claim this property? The adverse possession statute for Washington State requires continuous and notorious possession for 7 years, for which I am a half year short. It's also questionable who has been paying the taxes on it. The assessor I'm sure is looking at the physical boundaries when he comes out, and does not reconcile that to the legal description. I've mowed it watered it, part of my driveway is on it, my utilities trench is on it, and now my shop is too close to the line. Oddly enough they said nothing till the shop was completed. How would a judge/arbitrator view this property line dispute?

Bildad
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Jun 10, 2008, 04:04 AM
    You will have to go back to the original survey of the property and start there. Lots of times the pins are either moved or removed as time goes by. Check with the county to see what the original survey said and then you'll have to get the property resurveyed and see if everything matches now. If not, please consult a real estate attorney about this problem.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jun 10, 2008, 06:28 AM
    Adverse possession probably won't apply here. Usually Adverse Possession requires that the original owner be aware that the property was being used.

So I don't think you have any claim on the property. In new construction one should make sure they are aware of the exact lines. Stakes and pins are frequently moved while construction is going on.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jun 10, 2008, 07:09 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem
    Adverse possession probably won't apply here. Usually Adverse Possession requires that the original owner be aware that the property was being used.

So I don't think you have any claim on the property. In new construction one should make sure they are aware of the exact lines. Stakes and pins are frequently moved while construction is going on.

I agree - adverse possession is difficult and complicated and this looks like human error.

You obviously need a definitive survey before you decide how to proceed -

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Adverse possession [ 9 Answers ]

We purchased a property four years ago from a cousin's estate. On having it surveyed we found That a thirty by forty foot piece of one of the back corners was not part of the property, but it had been occupied and maintained by the owner's family for over fifty years. They had planted shrubs And...

Property Line Dispute [ 7 Answers ]

Hello, I live in Massachusetts, my family and I have resided in our home for approximately 9 years now. I have never surveyed our property, and just recently retrieved a copy of our property line map from the town hall. I have been saving money over the past several years to put up a fence as...

Property line dispute [ 2 Answers ]

My property extends approximately 110 wide and 208.5 feet deep. The south side has a cyclone fence that was built (1973) 6 inches short of the survey marker. (The markers have mysteriously vanished ). There is a narrow strip of forested land 30 foot wide on the backside (east) that was...

Property Line Dispute [ 3 Answers ]

My mother lives in New Jersey and her neighbor of 43 years has decided to sell her home. After 43 years of a existing fence in which we put up and multiple shade trees, the neighbor now claims for the first time ever that the fence line and 2 trees are 4 feet onto her property. She refuses to...

Property line dispute [ 7 Answers ]

:mad: My husband and I own 2 acres and across the private road from us lives a man who INSISTS he OWNS property along OUR side of the road beyond the normal easement area. We have found that the previous owner of our property had given a 10 foot easement along our side of the road for "access and...

View more questions Search