Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    campiekid Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 6, 2008, 08:55 PM
    Relocating a bathroom shower drain in a mobile home
    Hello plumbing expert.
    I have removed a 32 inch stand up shower in my 1995 double wide mobile home.I had to hack the shower into several pieces and was able to separate it from the drain by unscrewing what was left of the bottom of the shower floor after I used a circular saw leaving on a 10 inch square portion of the bottom of the shower which I was able to turn counterclockwise and separate the drain in the shower from the pipe below.The pipes are plastic. I have to move the drain about a foot to make it work with a new shower base that is 60 inches. The floor is made of a three quarter inch plywood coated with a green water resistant stuff. How do I move the drain and what about the add a vent's that are sticking up above the floor and in the way of the new shower base? Does the add a vent have to be above the floor ? It was hidden under the old garden tub that I also removed I now have 2 add a vent's that need to be moved or removed if that's possible. Also... about the old holes in the plywood floor that are going to be left after the drain is moved. How do you patch those?
    At your mercy
    Campiekid, lost in Ohio
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Jun 7, 2008, 05:44 AM
    We have mobile home factories in my area and years back I worked as a installation plumber in them. We used black ABS for the drainage. Are your pipes black or white?
    how do I move the drain
    You cut the trap and pipe back far enough to 45 over to the new location where you will install a new trap and raiser.
    Please explain the meaning of "add a vent"? Are you referring to a AAV,(Air Admittance Vent)? A vent that hasn't been run out the roof? What?
    what about the add a vent's that are sticking up above the floor and in the way of the new shower base? Does the add a vent have to be above the floor ? It was hidden under the old garden tub that I also removed I now have 2 add a vent's that need to be moved or removed if that's possible
    I need a better explanation. I have no idea why vents would be under the floor. Please explain To patch the holes you would cut a piece of plywood to fit the hole and go up into the sub floor and scab the patch from underneath. Please tell me more about these "add-a-vents". Regards, Tom
    campiekid Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 7, 2008, 08:26 AM
    The add a vent is also referred as a mechanical plumbing vent. Here's the link with photo The color of the plastic drain pipes are black and are one and a half inch in diameter The vents are not under the floor they are above the floor thanks campiekid Quote from first letter... "the add a vent's that are sticking up above the floor and in the way of the new shower base? Does the add a vent have to be above the floor ?
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Jun 7, 2008, 11:55 AM
    The Add-a vents are indeed AAV,(Air Admittance Vents)
    You can move them just about any place you wish but they can not be removed, however, since they are mechanical in construction they must be placed where they can be serviced. They can even be inside a wall if there's a access panel. If you move the AAV's slope the line away from the AAV terminal back to the drain it ties to.
    Good luck, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Relocating a shower drain for airtub on concrete slab [ 5 Answers ]

I have a Maax air tub on order for a basement bathroom. Room is concrete floor, shower drain sink plumbing and toilet is roughed in. House is 15 years old. Problem - Tub is a drop in model and has a center position drain on the back/wall side of the tub. I know I need to move the shower drain,...

Mobile home shower drain [ 2 Answers ]

I am trying to remove the original fiberglass tub from the second bathroom. I've gotten everything out, except the drain in the floor. I have no idea how to remove this. The stopper will turn both clock & counterclockwise, but does not come apart. Help!

Relocating shower drain [ 1 Answers ]

I have what I hope to be a quick question about my shower drain height/depth below the floor. I am moving my shower drain to accommodate a larger shower pan that I am installing. This is a 2” cast iron basement floor drain that I have cut off, installed a no hub coupling, and I am ready to...

Mobile home drain needs to be moved [ 1 Answers ]

My big tub/shower leaked and ruined the floor. We took out all of the junk. I want to install a shower but I need to move the drain. There is a pipe with a vent and the drain sticking out of the floor. It was hiding in the space under the tub. How do I move the drain about a foot and still have it...

View more questions Search