Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    HelenAg Posts: 69, Reputation: 3

May 27, 2008, 08:55 AM
    How to kill baby maple trees
    I don't know how, but tiny maple trees spring up in my yard. (We have maples in the yard) I try and pull up as many as possible as soon as I see them, but some of the roots are so stubborn I can't pull them. Also my neighbors have let several of these trees grow to two feet tall between our fences. How can I kill these things? Without hurting other vegetation? Do I have to dig the root up with a spade or shovel?? I really need help with this problem. Thanks Helen Ag
    wildandblue Posts: 663, Reputation: 57

May 27, 2008, 09:32 AM
    Running over them with a lawnmower is really all you need to do. Mice and rabbits will finish off the stragglers. The maple tree seeds drop on your lawn and sprout wherever they land. Even in the raingutters on a house! For larger trees first make sure they are your trees on your side of the property line. You can use a product called BrushBeGone follow the label directions.;)

May 27, 2008, 10:26 AM
    Thanks. I don't think my neighbors give a hoot what the fence line looks like. I will look up the product you named and see what is what. Meanwhile I'll keep pulling out the stragglers and rely on the mower for the rest. Thanks thanks. Helenag
    reikiwmn Posts: 31, Reputation: 1

Jun 4, 2008, 08:39 AM
    Maybe you might even want to pot one or 2 of them to see if they will grow in a pot. Then you can give a few away to someone who might want to have a maple tree in there yard.
    wildandblue Posts: 663, Reputation: 57

Jun 4, 2008, 09:45 AM
    Great idea. Put a tiny ad in classifieds. I have seen many varieties of trees that grow like weeds around my place, selling for as much as 5 or 6 dollars a pop in seed and nursery catalogs.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Jun 4, 2008, 12:51 PM
    Try broadleaf weed killer for lawns, it should take care of the maple and be fine with your grass. Mow the ones you can reach, spray between the fence.

Jun 4, 2008, 01:52 PM
    But will mowing take care of the roots? Even the smallest of those suckers has nice roots already. And what about all the helicopters from which these seedlings hatch?? If you mulch them with the mower, will that render them impotent?? Helen
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Jun 4, 2008, 08:59 PM
    I've had to deal with sprouting trees where you don't want them. When they have leaves and are actively growing, Round-up works when applied carefully to the leaves only. I've even removed one in the middle of another small footprint bush without damage to the bush.

When pulling and cutting, they always come back.

When helecopters are in abundance, don't mulch. Bag.
    BigRed1500 Posts: 70, Reputation: 8

Jun 5, 2008, 08:46 AM
    Just keep mowing them down. The roots won't matter if the trees never get to sprout. Any that you miss for a while - if they do sprout - then you'll just have more to grab onto and pull out.

Jun 6, 2008, 10:01 AM
    Well, the little fellows have reared their ugly heads. This morning I pulled several teeny maple trees. You can see the whirlybird seed from which they sprouted. They are easy to pull at the infinitesimal stage. If you leave them go, the roots grow fast and hard and it becomes more difficult to remove them. That's where, I guess the poison comes in. Does anyone think that this was a bonus crop of whirlybirds? There are green (smaller) whirlybirds coming down now. I don't ever remember there being so many of these things.
    Helen
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Jun 6, 2008, 10:58 AM
    For most areas this was a hard winter and trees tend to produce an abundant crop of seeds to help protect their species when under stress. This happens mostly with what I call weed trees like some maples and cottonwoods. However even Burr Oak has started to develop a few extra tons of acorns this year.
    reddog1 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 11, 2008, 11:54 PM
    Comment on ballengerb1's post
    Great answer it works
    joydro Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 26, 2010, 01:45 PM
    My seedlings don't come from the spinners; they just grow everywhere. There are shoots between the boards in the courtyard, and in the flower beds, and in the mulched area -- and on and on. They are easy to pull when only two leaves are present, but second year shoots are rooted in China, I'm sure. The mowers get those in the grass, but others are so unsightly and no one has the energy to pull them all. Also, they are growing as fast as I pull their sisters.
    Weed killers don't work. Help!
    Yard Boy Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 1, 2012, 04:09 PM
    I have 3 maples in my yard. This time of year in Indiana is wonderful for the helicopter plant. I bag putting my mower on the lowest setting. I get maybe 1/4 of the little buggers. I am also wondering if there is a better way besides buying an expensive lawn sweeper. I've tryied using a leaf blower to push them to the drive way or road so I can sweep them up. NO GO. Any one who has maples will discount the advice above. What do some of you do??

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Maple trees [ 2 Answers ]

DO Maple tree roots damage water or sewer pipes?

Red Maple Trees [ 3 Answers ]

Hello, I have a question, My question is How long are the Maple Tree's Roots? How wide are they? Also how big do they get? Thanks Sa1122

Maple trees: [ 2 Answers ]

We live in OK. And just recently moved and the home we bought has maple trees, variety I am unsure of. This whole housing addition is full of maple trees. Our problem is we are elderly and thought when we left the oak trees behind we would not be cleaning gutters & raking the yard constantly. My...

View more questions Search